Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
SCOTUS is not Mount Olympus and its members are not gods, demi- or otherwise. The court is comprised of deeply fallible persons, Americans and Democrats, who clearly aren't always capable of coming to a correct Constitutional decision.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Mike: Here is my take on this. The Constitution is the social contract underlying the nation's existence and laws. The United States, under its current form of government, would simply not exist without the Constitution, and the Constitution would never have been ratified without the Bill of Rights. These are historical facts, not conjecture.

If it comes to be that our government chooses to alter the Constitution, ignore the Constitution, or regulate it to the point of meaninglessness, the social contract has been broken. Without the social contract the nation and government are no longer legitimate in that they have acted against the will of the people and in violation of the constraints on government provided by the Constitution. At that point each individual state is free to go its own way, having no further allegiance to or connection with the national government.

A fundamental point of law (that was clearly understood by the Founding Fathers) holds that a contract must be entered into freely, and once established the terms cannot be changed without the consent of all parties to the contract.

When today's politicians and bureaucrats sit down to the poker table they need to understand the stakes they are playing for. Changing the rules during the game is not permissible or acceptable, and it that is attempted all the other players at the table are free to pick up their chips and walk away.

The basic difference is that there are those who recognize their position as that of a servant of the people, and there are those who believe their position to be that of a ruler over the people. In other words, exactly what we were warned about frequently and eloquently by the Founding Fathers during the Federalist/Anti-Federalist debates of 1789 to 1791.

How does the modern American liberal politician tell you that you are going to be screwed? "Trust me".
Very well said sir!
I am in total agreement with your statement.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
@retired badge 1 And 1000 likes from me, sir.

I do know that my FORM of government is NOT sacrosanct. That is, my FORM of government is a REPRESENTATION of what the CONSTITUTION delares, complete with all conceivable human failings. I hold allegiance to the IDEAS about freedom spelled out in the Constitution. To me, it is the height of laziness for an American to simply trust as being in compliance with the Constitution anything said or done by those elected to be our REPRESENTATIVES simply because the courts have not ruled yea or nay. The court system is a PART of our established government, not the ultimate arbitrator of freedom. That particular aspect of governance is and always shall be, allocated to We The People.

Anyway. Carry on. And I mean that in all senses. If the "ruling class" are frightened by the prospect of an armed citizenry, so be it.

Reactions: retired badge 1

·
Premium Member
33,723 Posts
I've perhaps strayed a bit from the wisdom and righteousness of showing up as an armed, screaming mob at the statehouse. Try as I might, I can't attach any deeper meaning to it all than that.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
You would likely have had a tough time of it in 1776 brother.

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Without the 2 Amendment the first falls very fast, a look a history shines a light on that. The instructions on how to build a 1911 in the Philippines or they sheet metal 45acp which was loaded and dropped behind the lines in France to the resistance

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
I always hear this stuff about "how easily people surrender their rights" and "the shooting is going to start soon." IMHO, it's all meaningless bluster. One thing the participants in our Revolution had that we do not is at least a loose system of organization. More specifically, Command, Control and Communications and Intelligence (C3I). Without that, we would be easily picked off one by one regardless of our numerical superiority or greater number of small arms. And C3I will not magically appear once the shooting starts. The opposition could, if it wanted to, bring world class C3I to bear, along with greater high-tech firepower. Sure, we might have a few Quixotic incidents like Ruby Ridge and Bundy Ranch, but they would change nothing overall, but just get good people killed.

In the meantime, conservatives, including gun owners, are staying home from the polls in huge numbers, they are not joining conservative and pro-gun organizations, and contributing to those organizations, and they are not getting out and helping conservative candidates. With only 45-60% of voters voting, we could have the numbers to beat the opposition nearly every time. But people would rather sit home and "saber rattle" talking about the "bugalloo."

And even if we had a successful bugalloo, which we won't, there is no guarantee it would turn out like we think it would or like we want. Like the Who lyric in "Won't Get Fooled Again, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
The people in all of the legislatures - local, state and national - are elected to REPRESENT their constituents. Once in office they toss that out the window and pass laws THEY WANT - laws that their paid sponsors want. The fact that thousands and tens of thousands of the people turn out in peaceful huge groups to protest (those folks who are supposed to be "represented") and are totally ignored should be proof that the system is NOT what it is/was meant to be.

Here in my state it has been know at least once in the past for a long term "legislative representative" to be voted out at the very next election after he did something diametrically opposed to the will of the people. That needs to happen a lot more, everywhere! Unfortunately, getting rid of the snake did not change the horrendous law that got passed. Yep, it was Obama Care.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Brother, I'd say that right now a good healthy dose of the jitters is exactly the anecdote needed for this colossal exercise in how far tyrants think they can push.

And I just re-read my signature line again. There was a great deal of wisdom in the words of Mr. Jefferson.
I will often re-read my signature line. It's seems so apropos, especially now.

·
Premium Member
33,723 Posts
I always hear this stuff about "how easily people surrender their rights" and "the shooting is going to start soon." IMHO, it's all meaningless bluster. One thing the participants in our Revolution had that we do not is at least a loose system of organization. More specifically, Command, Control and Communications and Intelligence (C3I). Without that, we would be easily picked off one by one regardless of our numerical superiority or greater number of small arms. And C3I will not magically appear once the shooting starts. The opposition could, if it wanted to, bring world class C3I to bear, along with greater high-tech firepower. Sure, we might have a few Quixotic incidents like Ruby Ridge and Bundy Ranch, but they would change nothing overall, but just get good people killed.

In the meantime, conservatives, including gun owners, are staying home from the polls in huge numbers, they are not joining conservative and pro-gun organizations, and contributing to those organizations, and they are not getting out and helping conservative candidates. With only 45-60% of voters voting, we could have the numbers to beat the opposition nearly every time. But people would rather sit home and "saber rattle" talking about the "bugalloo."

And even if we had a successful bugalloo, which we won't, there is no guarantee it would turn out like we think it would or like we want. Like the Who lyric in "Won't Get Fooled Again, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
I'm pretty sure the new boss would be even more oppressive and authoritarian. Anyone seizing power at gunpoint can be counted on to reinforce and expand that power via the same methods.

Reactions: jmf552

·
Premium Member
33,723 Posts
The people in all of the legislatures - local, state and national - are elected to REPRESENT their constituents. Once in office they toss that out the window and pass laws THEY WANT - laws that their paid sponsors want. The fact that thousands and tens of thousands of the people turn out in peaceful huge groups to protest (those folks who are supposed to be "represented") and are totally ignored should be proof that the system is NOT what it is/was meant to be.

Here in my state it has been know at least once in the past for a long term "legislative representative" to be voted out at the very next election after he did something diametrically opposed to the will of the people. That needs to happen a lot more, everywhere! Unfortunately, getting rid of the snake did not change the horrendous law that got passed. Yep, it was Obama Care.
Noteworthy that, with few exceptions, those seeking power tell us exactly what they are going to do once they gain it.

Reactions: ctr

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
But it does mean that with respect to the protests. Exercising a right recognized by the Constitution should have no,perception of being wrong.

·
Premium Member
33,723 Posts
But it does mean that with respect to the protests. Exercising a right recognized by the Constitution should have no,perception of being wrong.
Living in Virginia, you already know is vs should.

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
Noteworthy that, with few exceptions, those seeking power tell us exactly what they are going to do once they gain it.
Just like Obama did: He promised that he was going to fundamentally transform the US. Most people did not know what that really meant. I sure did though.

Reactions: kmckinnon

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
We should continue to push back. As many times as it takes.
Yes, we should and I was very involved in the recent Lobby Day, as you probably were too. But we all knew it was too late in the game for full effect. If we want to really affect change, we need to move our efforts back prior to important elections and get out the vote. We have to get these politicians voted out. It would not be easy, but it could be done.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts

One day some of you folks will realize that it DID WORK once. And it turned out better than we, and you, deserve. And the leaders and the system that arose during that time turned out pretty good. The new boss turned out to be far better than the old boss.

But then I just have no interest in simply lying down and accepting what you call inevitable. I'm sure there were plenty of people who gave those who sought freedom and liberty in 1776 zero chance against the most powerful military force on the planet. Wasn't everybody surprised that the dreams of the gloomy prognosticators turned out so wrong. Kind of like the pollsters in 2016.

I'll tell you what. I'll never mention this again IF someone will simply explain WHY we still haven't managed, after 19 years, to defeat a third world rag-tag insurgency with a thousand year old mindset and primitive weapons with all our modern, magic, "super power" weapons, airplanes, satellites, ships, submarines, C3I and the like.

@Mike1956
I'm pretty sure the new boss would be even more oppressive and authoritarian. Anyone seizing power at gunpoint can be counted on to reinforce and expand that power via the same methods.
Brother you need to look at the history of our country and then tell me how you figure that is true of the folks who founded this nation - by pointing a gun at King George.

I'm going to check out of this discussion. It is clear that I must have slept through some class I shouldn't have.

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
Premium Member
33,723 Posts
Yes, we should and I was very involved in the recent Lobby Day, as you probably were too. But we all knew it was too late in the game for full effect. If we want to really affect change, we need to move our efforts back prior to important elections and get out the vote. We have to get these politicians voted out. It would not be easy, but it could be done.
That right there.

You guys did a great job trying that last go-around.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts