Defensive Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,256 Posts
I used to think that barrel length affected performance of the gun, but have found out that it aint necessarily so. Here's a gun that I built a barrel for just to see how it would work. As short as it is, it is still flawless with CCI standard rounds and even quieter than I expected.

This one has sort of turned conventional wisdom on its head.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Actually barrel length has a fairly big effect on the gun. Here are some reasons why:
the longer the barrel, to a point, the more powder burn you get, which results in higher velocity.
The barrel, depending on twist weight, pressure, and bullet weight, will affect your trajectory, muzzle velocity, and range.
shorter barrels tend to have more muzzle flash, more felt recoil due to being lighter, and are typically also less accurate due to the shorter distance between front and rear sights.

If you want to exaggerate a test to see the differences, use two AR platform rifles, otherwise identical, and using their iron sights. Make one an SBR with a 7" barrel, and make the other with a full 18" barrel.
See the differences.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks gasmitty but "why"?
Why don't they all measure / go by distance from end of projectile to where it exits the barrel?
Probably just for ease of measuring it. With an auto it is easier to just drop a dowel down the barrel and measure from breachface to muzzle or just measure the entire length of the barrel with chamber whereas it is easy to exclude the chamber when measuring a revolver's barrel. One thing you have to take into account with a revolver is that you do lose some gas at the cylinder gap which cuts into the velocity advantage that a longer barrel would give you.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
I used to think that barrel length affected performance of the gun, but have found out that it aint necessarily so. Here's a gun that I built a barrel for just to see how it would work. As short as it is, it is still flawless with CCI standard rounds and even quieter than I expected.

This one has sort of turned conventional wisdom on its head.
Nice. I would think you're not getting much muzzle energy out of it, though.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.