Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally EDC a S&W 642. However, even it has a profile that doesn't match well with smaller pockets, such as the bathrobes, hoodies and shorts I usually wear around the house. I had been carrying a BERSA CC for some time for these occasions. I finally found a revolver that fit well into this environment. The S&W 637 is just enough smaller to dissappear into these pockets. Yes, I know all the stuff about bulky cylinders and all, but just as the "curve" of the cyrlinder dissappears into my "curves" with the 642, the same thing happens with the 637 and the flannel of the robes and hoodies. I use a man's white handkerchief as a "sheath" to keep out lint. I am not looking for a combat draw here, just availability of weapon. I have traded in the BERSA for the 637 and have no regrets.

One thing I have learned the hard way is that wooden grips and pocket carry, where it can be hard to get a real grip on the gun before it clears pocket, do not always get along. I was pulling out my 637 with Eagle Secret Service rosewood grips from a pocket to place it in a COM in the truck when it slipped out of my hands and fell to the concrete. If you look real hard you can see the two dings in the top strap. The UM rubber boot grips went back on.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Excellent Choice! I too have the same revolver (and speed strips too) I really like this little package. Seems comfortable to shot and pretty darned accurite.
And, I wanted a hammer. It is my intention to either buy another or at the minimum a 442. My wife, eventhough she has a sp101 with the LG-303 grip, has devoloped an afection for my 627 so....

At least I have a LCP for now as well as a 9mm Sigma series. The longer she hijacks the 637, the more reason I have to pick up another.

Best of 2010!

Craig

·
Registered
749 Posts
Man…I REALLY need to get my eyes checked! When I read the headline I saw “BathROOM” gun. I was fully expecting to read that someone wanted to mount a gun on the toilet paper rack or to the shower head.

Nice looking revolver! I would like to pick one up this year after the wife decides on what she wants to carry.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
The S&W 637 is my only snubbie, and I think you have made an excellent choice there...:yup::congrats:

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Congrats on the new snub. I'm sure you'll find it handy. I've got a S&W 442 that I carry quite a bit, especially around the house. Got an old S&W 49 too (it has the old small wooden handles that I find more comfortable for my hand).
Next on my wish list:
Snub 357 Magnum 6 or more shots (Ruger SP101??)
Glock 23 40 caliber
Semi-auto 22lr target gun (Ruger MK III???)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on the new snub. I'm sure you'll find it handy. I've got a S&W 442 that I carry quite a bit, especially around the house. Got an old S&W 49 too (it has the old small wooden handles that I find more comfortable for my hand).
Next on my wish list:
Snub 357 Magnum 6 or more shots (Ruger SP101??)
Glock 23 40 caliber
Semi-auto 22lr target gun (Ruger MK III???)

I normally EDC a 642.
Also have:

686 w/2 1/2' barrel
Glock 23
Ruger MKII .22 lr
2214 .22 lr
317 w/ 1 7/8" barrel (trainer for other snubs!)
M&P (pre model 10) Revolver w/ 2" barrel
Ruger Bearcat SS

Photo just shows S&W wheel guns:

Already filled your wish list!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Great choice... Gotta love those Smith snubbies...

·
Registered
13 Posts
642 works great for me, Nemesis pocket holster in pocket of shorts. It's also my BUG. 642 is with me every minute, day and night, even to bed and bathroom.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
the S&W 637 is my daily "duty" carry. During the warmer months I carry two rounds of CCI shot shells, followed by 3 rounds of +p's, for my field carry. At night, it's always in an accessable location with a full load of +p's.... as well as other "go-to" guns.

I've gone through several "field guns" over the years, and got tired of the daily maintanence fighting rust, but the little 637 has become a real friend over the last couple of summers, requiring a lot less attention.

Regardless what the naysayers may speak, the option for SA is a real plus, in my opinion.

Congrats on your choice!

surv

·
Registered
713 Posts
Man…I REALLY need to get my eyes checked! When I read the headline I saw “BathROOM” gun. I was fully expecting to read that someone wanted to mount a gun on the toilet paper rack or to the shower head.
I saw the samething! :rofl:

However, nice gun and all that. I did however notice that your gun is loaded for the picture, nice touch! :comeandgetsome:

When I carry out and about, its in a holster on my hip, a full size XDm40. At home, (I know there have been many, many, many posts on this) in my bathrobe, I dont carry. Now before you all tear me a new one, my guns are all through out the house, and my EDC is never more than a second away. I found that while carrying in a bathrobe may be nessary, its just not that comfortable when Im at home relaxing on the couch with 3 (yes three) other guns near by.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"However, nice gun and all that. I did however notice that your gun is loaded for the picture, nice touch! "

I had just taken gun out of pocket and speed strip out of the other pocket, put them on top of a red sweatshirt and shot the picture. Gun and ammo went right back into pocket thereafter, hence still loaded!

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
It's a good CCW weapon. I use mine when my 640-1 is too heavy. I bobbed the hammer on mine.

This is a pretty good idea, as my wife s gun is a Mod. 85 Taurus and she will be taking her cpl class in a couple of mos. and I was thinking I was'nt crazy about the idea of her having the single action available.
Being in a situation with a hair trigger, SA for her might not be a good idea.

Okay, I pulled the pin. Now what? Hey! Where are ya going?

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I normally EDC a 642.
Also have:

686 w/2 1/2' barrel
Glock 23
Ruger MKII .22 lr
2214 .22 lr
Ruger Bearcat SS

You have indeed already filled my wish list. Nice collection and variety. I appreciate your taste...perhaps this means I'm on the right track. Here's my handgun collection at this point:

S&W 442 38spcl
S&W 49 38spcl
Ruger Police Service Six 357 Magnum 4" barrel
Ruger P95 dc 9mm
Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm
H&R 922 3" barrel
Tanfoglio 22lr / 22mag SA Revolver
Titan 22 short semi auto

My Dad gave me the last three. I enjoy shooting them all. The three I mentioned previously and a 1911 45 would round out my collection and give me something to shoot for most occasions. Thanks for sharing your pics and collection.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I normally EDC a 642.
Also have:

686 w/2 1/2' barrel
Glock 23
Ruger MKII .22 lr
2214 .22 lr
Ruger Bearcat SS

Nice wheel gun collection! :hand10:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Speaking of "snubbies", I really like my Charter Arms "Undercoverette" in .32 H&R Magnum. This is often dropped into my bathrobe pocket whan I absolutely MUST step outside when so dressed! I only wish that I had waited long enough to pick up a 2" barreled Charter Arms Patriot (in .327 Federal Magnum) instead. A little more power never hurts when it comes to such "Pocket Pistols."

When I can invest in them I'd certainly like to pick up a 4" barreled .327 Fed. Mag. Charter Arms Patriot. These are superb little revolvers that deliver over 500 fpe when shooting 115-grain JHP Federal's American Eagle brand ammunition.

You really must admire that kind of energy, especially when it is accompanied by light recoil. The bad guy will surely notice what is delivered from the "business end" of THAT revolver!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I've got a Smith 337 that I actually do have indefinitely stationed in my bathrobe.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Airlight and Airweight snubbies really do come into their glory when it comes to the loose, lighter "around the house" clothes. I don't want to wear street clothes all the time. I don't worry too much about losing knockdown power because the snubbie is just buying me time to get to the Mossberg 500 w/ buckshot!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts