Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Southside Sportsman Club

I've been to a few pistol ranges in Michigan, mainly the Metro Detroit and Kalamazoo area, but few have been able to match this place in a few areas. First this place is a small [10 lanes, 50ft] indoor pistol range only, no rifle or anything of that nature. This is nice. Just the other day I'm at a range in Madision Hts. Mich and this ~~~~ next to me was blasting a wicked looking assault rifle off and needless to say, it was not as easy to work on my shooting mechanics with that going on. [I'm talking every time this guy pulled the trigger, my empty brass would jump off the ground!]

Secondly, the staff at Southside is EXTREMELY friendly, nice and helpful. Have you ever been to a gun shop/range where everyone seems like your bothering them when you ask a question? I absolutly hate that.....I just want to tell the clerk "Oh I'm sorry, did I bother you? Sorry to have pulled you away from sitting there with you thumb up your A$$!". A little story for you - I take my girlfriend to the range for the first time, she has never shot a gun ever. So I explained that and one of the range officers personally lent me his .22 cal pistol and a huge box of ammo [to which he wouldn't take any money for the rental and ammo] After I showed her the basics and got her going I began to shoot and I noticed the range officer giving her instruction and really ignited her interest in my favorite sport. I'll travel out of my way for that kind of dedicated and personal attention.

Location - Very easy to find. If you take I-94 to Battle Creek, get off at the Capital Ave Exit and head north. Keep following it until it begins to curve and it's on the righthand side. Can't miss it!

They offer CCW classes for the State Of Michigan along with other various training and tactical courses.

·
Registered
686 Posts
d2...
not that i'll have a chance to get out there...at least not for a long time, but thanks for the great review.

I to prefer a range with that kind of service vs. one where i'm just a bunch of $$ signs to the guys behind the counter...

--Jim

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Always good to hear of good ranges with helpful people - often seems more the exception than the rule these days.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Hoosier said:
I know what you mean. I shoot at the NRA range a lot: it is very technologically advanced...so technologically advanced that you can shoot almost anything. My son and I have had headaches from the concussion on rare occasion. :smile:

The solution seems to be to go when there are few shooters: then, even if there is a cannon or two, it doesn't seem to bother me.

Sure ya guys werent shooting next to me with the 500 :biggrin: course i havent had any complaints yet

·
Registered
275 Posts
yeah I know silly me.

Here's the thing. The staff was too lazy to open the pistol range for me and my dad so he put us out there on the rifle range....kinda lame a$$ if you ask me!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Bud-
We kind of forget this, but most people, when faced with a gun that big get a little scared, and might not WANT to complain.

A1C Lickey

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Bud can "kill it and grill it" in one easy step! :rofl:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
COME ON GUYS!

I thought I found a place where the testosterone didn't flow like wine.....guess I was wrong. *wink*

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
d2thomas said:
COME ON GUYS!

I thought I found a place where the testosterone didn't flow like wine.....guess I was wrong. *wink*
Nope, I don't like to be near anyone else's testosterone but mine.... :wink:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I took the girlfriend shooting at Southside and this guy next to us was shooting his 45-70.....talk about BA BOOOOM! There was gun powder residue on the walls! HAHAHAHA! But no doubt, a very bad ____ gun if you ask me!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Madison Heights Gun Range

d2:
I used to work at the range where the #$%^&*( was shooting his cannon next to you. It wasn't always that bad. When I was there, we had shooters and hunters behind the counter. Unfortunately, the owner began allowing his uncle to have more say in the way things were run. The serious shooters, tired of being treated like low-born scum, left. Our replacements were the K-mart Commandos and the Wannabes.

End result: lots of people go there once, very few go there twice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ebd10 said:
d2:
I used to work at the range where the #$%^&*( was shooting his cannon next to you. It wasn't always that bad. When I was there, we had shooters and hunters behind the counter. Unfortunately, the owner began allowing his uncle to have more say in the way things were run. The serious shooters, tired of being treated like low-born scum, left. Our replacements were the K-mart Commandos and the Wannabes.

End result: lots of people go there once, very few go there twice.
The owner I met. REALLY nice guy - some of the other staff sours it. I will go there again, but only because of the owner and this one younger kid that was so damn helpful, I almost couldn't believe it. Thank you for speaking up and being truthful - I'm glad you did.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'll bet you're talking about Al. HE was the reason so many of us stayed as long as we did. He always treated people fairly, and would often give out small freebies (I still have my jacket from there). The facility itself is great, but the attitudes behind the counter leave something to be desired.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is Al the older gentleman with silver hair?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Medium height, kind of skinny, wears glasses. His uncle is older, obese, wears glasses, and I think he's only there on weekends.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts