Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am noticing many more tactical .22lrs lately and am considering checking one out. So far I have the following and I am sure there are others. Can anyone add to the list. Of these, which would you pick? My main concern is that it should be reliable, I don't want to worry about ammo when it comes to a fun plinking rifle. I just want to shoot whatever I can get, no excuses.

- Ruger SR22
- Keltec SU22
- SW M&P15-22
- Sig 522
- GSG-5

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Out of the list, I think I'd go with the Ruger SR22.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have a Rhineland Arms .22, but I don't think they make them any more. AR-15 trigger, HK G-3 stock, their action and barrel. It uses 10-22 mags, and you tell them what length and diameter barrel you want.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I'd go with the Sig 522, but I'm biased. I have never had problems with ANY of the Sigs I own, and would trust them implicitly. I'd also like to have a lot more of them:yup:

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
I have one of the GSG-5s & it is a lot of fun!

I've seen the others, but haven't shot them. Colt also is making one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Ruger SR 22 is just a 10/22 inside a stock for a lot of money.
Get basically the same thing with Archangel

·
Registered
152 Posts
What's everyone think of the Ruger Tactical Target? I think a reliable platform with spare parts everywhere. Just no rails, lights, lasers, vertical grips or bayonet lugs. Looks like a pretty good squirrel getter though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you have any inclination to use it as an AR platform trainer? If so, you can eliminate some from the list. The only ones that match AR ergos are the S&W, the Colt, and various AR conversions. Which is another idea, if you have an AR you could get a conversion kit or upper.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
They all seem nice. A local GS owner I talked to has a GSG-5 and say his is a lot of fun but he has to make sure he feeds it hi-velocity ammo or it tends to jam and be less accurate.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I got a GSG 5,I shoot federal 550 bulk 22 LR out of it all day long with almost 0 FTF

·
Registered
107 Posts
my friend bought a GSG at a local gun show, thing is a piece of junk. I dunno what kind of ammo it needs, but everything we try it jams all the time.

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
IMHO, when it comes to cheap .22 ammo, your best bet is a manually operated rifle (bolt, pump, or lever). For handguns in this caliber, a revolver is best.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
IMHO, when it comes to cheap .22 ammo, your best bet is a manually operated rifle (bolt, pump, or lever). For handguns in this caliber, a revolver is best.
For plinking sure, but it is hard to beat the ar conversions/22 onlys for learning and adapting to a manual of arms without beaking the bank.

In stressful situations one reverts to their training or lack thereof.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts