Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right. Here is the specific law:

18 USC § 2332a(C) Definitions. For purposes of this section
. . . . . .
(2) the term “weapon of mass destruction” means—
(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title;​

18 USC § 921 - Definitions

4 The term "destructive device" means—
(B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and
(C) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.​

There is however, this caveat:

The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684 (2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

So in short, it's up to the AG to determine whether you intended your potato gun to be a weapon or a recreational device.

LOVELY.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Gee, thanks. Now they're gonna have to ban potatoes.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Mine is pneumatic. No explosive, just compressed air. Better range than those pop-guns

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Mine is pneumatic. No explosive, just compressed air. Better range than those pop-guns
AIR could be considered an "other propellant"!!!:gah:

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
I'm gonna' have to switch from regular caliber potatoes to the small caliber reds...:king:

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
This doesn't cover new potatoes, does it. You know the little red ones? Gosh, I hope not. I just bought a whole bag of them. Do I need a permit or will my ccp cover it?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Wow! A run on potatoes could cause a famine!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Compressed air bean bag launcher, for launching a rope.

Compressed air launchers do not fall under this rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you attach a line to your potato, it becomes a legal, "line throwing" device!
In all seriousness, I just may try that. Just to watch it . . . that and I'll save on potatoes. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I'm going to tip my hand at what a weird kid I was, but let me find a letter....

Here it is: Legal issues - Spud Wiki

I used to be an active member of SpudFiles. That letter from the ATF was procured by a member there, exempting potato guns from the destructive device language. Now, granted, a lot of the members there have gone way, way beyond the old PVC or pipe and hairspray. A lot of these guys build hybrid cannons that rival the power of a .50 BMG through use of pressurized flammable gasses and burst discs.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Forget the potato gun what about many shotguns? How many of them have a bore more than .5 inch? It seems to me that 12 guage is described as a 72 caliber so does that mean a shotgun is a weapon of mass destruction? Waht about the 10 guage or the old 8 guage?

·
Registered
45,373 Posts
Load it with fries for more deadly effect.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
This info may be dated but my research reveals:
Spud guns are not federally regulated, although the ATF offers a classification.[1] Legislation varies widely by state, county, and township. One would have to check with local authorities to determine local spud gun legality.
Spud guns are illegal to possess by persons under the age of 16 in New York.
In Glendale, Arizona and Phoenix, Arizona combustion spud guns are not considered firearms.
Combustion spud guns are considered firearms in the state of Texas.
Spud guns are considered firearms in Winter Springs, FL.
Spud guns are not considered firearms in the state of Maryland.
Owning or using spud guns in Florida is illegal pursuant to Florida Statute 790.161 Making, possessing, throwing, projecting, placing, or discharging any destructive device or attempt so to do, felony; penalties.[2]
Fla. Stat. § 790.001 (4) states that: a “Destructive device" does not include: (a) A device which is not designed, redesigned, used, or intended for use as a weapon ... " [3]

Yes I live in Florida and have violated FS 790.161 on many occasions::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts