Defensive Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been several reloading threads lately, and I thought Id share my latest range brass finds.

I always hand sort brass because we [as a family] shoot 380, 9mm, and 38 super. I haven't found any sorting system that will reliably sort them out. So I pour them out on a tray and stand them up. It lets me sort them by diameter and case height. In this bucket there were a few hundred 44 mag mixed with a few 44 spl. And 5 cases that just stood out as odd. They did not look right as mag cases or the Spl cases. I pushed them aside when I was bagging them up and to my surprise they were 41 mag cases that had been fired in a 44 mag! I remember the guy shooting the 44, he was standing right next to me!
They expanded to fill the chambers. And looked like a semi rimed auto case. So just be careful what you put in your gun! DR

·
Super Moderator
19,131 Posts
I have seen similar cases from someone firing 9MM in 40S&W (not pretty); always check carefully to insure you are using the proper ammo. Myself I never mix calibers and always double check that the ammo matches the guns on the bench.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was at the local range renting guns and I asked to rent a VP9 just to try out. The clerk grabs a pistol near where I pointed and puts it in a case. I take it to the firing line, grab the mag, and top it off with 9mm ammo. First pull it goes Bang, but it sounded so damn quiet and there was no felt recoil. Immediately I'm like this is too good to be true. Pull the trigger again and click, nothing. So I rack the slide and a shell flies out. So now I don't aim very well but instead focus to see if a shell ejects when i fire. So second round goes off, awfully quiet again in my opinion, again no recoil, and this time I saw that nothing ejected.

So now I knew something was wrong. I drop the mag, rack the slide, and look at the ejected casing. Major expansion, I'm not a pistol expert but I knew enough to know that isn't right. So I look at the slide and I'll be damned the clerk gave me the VP40...I walk back to the counter to a different clerk and tell him what happened. He just shook his head and asked which clerk gave me the 40 instead of the 9. He did not seem surprised at all once I pointed the clerk out. Almost seems like the guy may have done it before. If I were the owner I think I'd fire the guy if he was a repeat offender doing that type of thing. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen in my opinion.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Try firing a 300 blackout out of a .556/223 AR. It will chamber! It will fire! But the result can be devastating. If I hadn't seen a cross section of the chamber I would never believe a 300 blackout would chamber but it fits. In addition I've seen pictures of the weapon afterwards. I was afraid to ask about the shooters hands and face.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Had a guy bring in a fired 16g shell to my Hunter Safety class. It was split from top to the rim and bungled out to 12g diameter.

He shared the story with the class about a pheasant hunt with his brother using their Father's Sweet 16 Browning. They both have 12g shotguns and had been sharing the 16g during the day. One of them had mixed up the ammunition and loaded his 12g with 16g shells and when fired the gun jammed and needed to be completely disassembled to remove the fired round.
Thankfully no one got hurt and no damage was done to the shotgun, but it made a very good object lesson for the class about checking ammo and only carrying one caliber/gauge at a time.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I remember years ago, my uncle brought over his .454 Raging Bull and grabbed a handful of .44 Mag. The gun shot it, but the cases were cracked almost all the way down to the rim. As far as I know, he never did that again.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts