Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many in law enforcement regularly practice shooting between qualifications? I have been told that other then SWAT team members some officers rarely shoot at all between qualifications. If this is true, would it be due to budget constraints, personal choice or both? Are civilians training more than LE or am I all wet?

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Kind of an interesting question actually, and I'm intent on hearing the results. I wouldn't venture to guess at them though. Personally, I hope I do train and shoot more than most of the law enforcement personnel. I owe it to myself to do that and be the best I can be at any particular time. As with law enforcement, some I'm sure look at it as the job specifically. Take me for instance.......I like my job, it's a job, and sometimes I get on the job training, and that's mainly by me figuring out machinery and problems on my own. I've seen a lot of hard days at work, and a few decent days, but they're all mostly long days, and when I clock out from work, the last thing I want to do is get further training. I'd much rather go home and relax. But of course when I go to the shooting range, or a local match....all of that is included in my allotted time for relaxation!

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I have discussed this very issue with several of my friends/associates who are still in that profession. Only one, my neighbor, regularly shoots, the rest only shoot once or twice a year. Two of them don't even go armed when not in uniform.:gah:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Most LEO's that I know, (other than the SWAT officers) shoot their twice a year qualifying course.

On a recent trip to the range, I was shooting in a lane next to a female Sheriff's deputy. It was sad. Let's just say...if I was the bad guy...I wouldn't mind her shooting at me. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have discussed this very issue with several of my friends/associates who are still in that profession. Only one, my neighbor, regularly shoots, the rest only shoot once or twice a year. Two of them don't even go armed when not in uniform.:gah:
unarmed and an LEO off duty... not smart:aargh4: My dad's friend was a cop, put a drug dealer away for 20 some years. The friend was off duty looking at some cars at a used car dealership, when this big guy that he put away 20 or so years ago, walks up and says "hey don't i know you from somewhere, the cop pooped himself because he left his gun at home that day. not to smart...:twak:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kind of an interesting question actually, and I'm intent on hearing the results. I wouldn't venture to guess at them though. Personally, I hope I do train and shoot more than most of the law enforcement personnel. I owe it to myself to do that and be the best I can be at any particular time. As with law enforcement, some I'm sure look at it as the job specifically. Take me for instance.......I like my job, it's a job, and sometimes I get on the job training, and that's mainly by me figuring out machinery and problems on my own. I've seen a lot of hard days at work, and a few decent days, but they're all mostly long days, and when I clock out from work, the last thing I want to do is get further training. I'd much rather go home and relax. But of course when I go to the shooting range, or a local match....all of that is included in my allotted time for relaxation!
You have said pretty much the same thing that I have heard from those in LE. Since it is part of thier job, the last thing they want to do after work is more work related things.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
You have said pretty much the same thing that I have heard from those in LE. Since it is part of thier job, the last thing they want to do after work is more work related things.
Yep. And you've stated in one sentence what took me a whole paragraph to explain. I'm over-thinking again.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well, I know my dept is out of ammo for the year, and we are supposed to get XD45s sometime soon, so I doubt we're going to get anymore .40.

Glad I have a small stash to practice with....

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I've talked with a bunch of LEO firearms instructors - getting people to the range just to qualify is like pulling teeth. They're the first to say, in general, cops are horrible shots and don't practice like they should. I understand the "it's the job thing", but that's the tool that when you need it, you really freakin' need it. One instructor had a student that honestly didn't think that a handgun bullet would travel 100 yds. More and more jobs these days, you just need to realize that some of "your" time will be spent training for your job. For cops, exercise would be another example. Even taking a couple of hours out of one day/month to put 300 rnds downrange would drastically improve their proficiency.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The percentage of officers that are "gun nuts" may be bit a higher than the public at large-depending on similar demographics (same age and percentage of males, same geographic/cultural background), but even fewer are practicing or recreational pistol shooters. There are a lot more shotgun/bird shooters and rifle/deer hunters at my department than pistol shooters. Just because a guy carries a gun at work doesn't mean he even wants to touch one otherwise, as posted by Freedom Train and seconded by Ram Rod. For many, it is just a tool for work, about as interesting as a Crescent wrench.
Yes, when you need it, YOU REALLY NEED IT, as the above poster says, but for a dozen reasons, that does not apply. Bad things always happen to somebody else, right? Same reason why for years, nobody wore safety belts and some still won't wear body armor. Nobody wants to think it will happen to them and there is, I think some part of the human brain that thinks hope has power and denial is a plan. Other things also come into play. I saw an article in a magazine about why cops don't shoot by Mas Ayoob years ago, and he hit the nail on the head repeatedly and accurately back then. Bet it's posted out there somewhere.
As far as civilians training more than officers...some do, and some that carry guns think they are training when they are just shooting or maybe even further ingraining unsafe, bad, or undesirable habits...which some of the cops do, too.

"Even taking a couple of hours out of one day/month to put 300 rnds downrange would drastically improve their proficiency."
Unquestionably, even ten minutes of dry fire a day, never mind live rounds once a month, would do wonders for most of us....and I count myself in the guilty of not doing it!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I know when I was an LEO in the mid 80's we had range day once a month,you could even take time off in your shift to shoot your 100 rounds the department furnished for practice,out of about 50 uniformed officers there were only about 10 that showed up regularly and at least 1/2 only showed up to qualify

·
Registered
571 Posts
Isn't this disturbing trend enough to convince people they need to carry to protect themselves?

If you are unarmed and dial 911 to have them come save you not only do you have to hope they happen to be standing outside your door with a battering ram BUT you also have to hope they manage to actually hit the bad guy.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm not an LEO, but I have friends that are. There are only a few LEO's in my city that have personal firearms in addition to their issued weapons, the rest only have their issued weapons. I go shooting with the ones that have personal firearms (they use their own ammo), and they practice more than I do. But I definitely practice more than the LEO's who aren't into guns. I think it comes down to a personal choice.

-Plop

·
Registered
307 Posts
I know very few cops who shoot. And of the ones who do practice, very few of them can shoot. I have literally cut pistols out of duty holsters for officers who spilled untold numbers of cups of coffee and sodas on them. I had one 16yr veteran come into my range and I had to load his magaziness because he didn't know how. He had been carrying that same pistol for 16yrs. It goes on and on.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Retired Calif LEO. Our Dept required annual qualification. Budget issue restricted to just once per year, but it was mandatory. Had to qualify with shotgun, mini 14, and .38 pistol. You got three try's to qualify, if you couldn't, you were suppose to lose your Peace Officer status. Often, however, the range officer would use his 38 cal pencil to punch the requisite holes in the target. Bummer. I'm happy I'm retired and away from them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have to say that the detective that finger printed me for my CCP said he hated guns and wished that they could ban them all. He said he never carries off duty either. I was astounded by this. I really didn't know what to think when I was going through the process but I thought that maybe some how cops would think that I was on their side by carrying. I am finding out more and more that this is not true and they don't like people with guns because they are a threat to their well being. I can understand that but I like to think of myself as being the good guy that would back up a cop if needed. I don't think they see people that ccw that way. Just threats IMO

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I shoot a couple of times a month..I have LEO friends that only shoot twice a year. Im a little puzzled. I work in the computer field and still come home and jump on my PC. Why would an officer not train and keep there skills up?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have literally cut pistols out of duty holsters for officers who spilled untold numbers of cups of coffee and sodas on them.
I've actually noted a few firearms on LEOs out on a foot patrol that meet that description.

Most of the LEOs I've talked with who even went to the range outside of required quals went to practice for deer or elk.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I spend several years as a Field LEO in the early 70's and I shot every two weeks, ( my ammo).

We had to Qual only once a year.

Background: before becoming a LEO I spend time in the USMC Infantry --1961-1971 (SSGT, Med Ret) and a couple of combat tours is SVN.

I think this give me a different kind of mind set on become and remaining proficient with the weapons of my profession.

Quite a bit different then those on my deptment that had not had the experience.

From 1978-1992 I work as a investigator for a local municipality then from 1992-2006 I was a state Compliance/Criminal Invstigator for the State of Nevada and I tried to shoot 50 rounds (my own ammo) a week at one of the local indoor ranges.

IN 1988 When I got involved in SASS (LM#316) I started shooting about 40,000-50,000 rds a year for practice.

Over the years this had slow down considerably and now currently I am only shooting around 300 Rds a month.

The shooting skill with a handgun can deteriorate rather quickly, more quicly for some people then others. Your mind will tell you, you can, but your muscle memory will/can show you--- you can't.

Until your start practicing again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The shooting skill with a handgun can deteriorate rather quickly, more quicly for some people then others. Your mind will tell you, you can, but your muscle memory will/can show you--- you can't.

Until your start practicing again.
Amen!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts