Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a "Carry" related Blog that I just stumbled upon...on the web.
Yuk Yuk "Be Wary When You Carry" Great Name. :silly:

Click Here To Go There

Anyway...on that blog is a photo of this pistol:
I can't copy the picture....Scroll down to The Alchemy Arms Spectre.
OK...I grabbed this pic off of GunsAmerica: This is an odd bird pistol. :confused:

Which actually looks decently interesting. Did anybody ever see one of these before. The Alchemy Arms SPECTRE

"Alchemy Arms has an odd new contribution to the pistol world. At first glance, I wasn't at all sure of what I was looking at. It was as though a Commander-sized 1911 had sex with a Glock, only they happened to be first cousins. Which is an unkind thing to say about what could turn out to be an excellent pistol. First impressions are only impressions and beauty is skin deep. The overall package of the Spectre is disorientingly familiar in two different directions, but it draws on the aesthetic strengths of both. Mechanically, it seems to be very Glock-ish, but with a 1911 style trigger and safety.

(It's a little difficult to understand why there's a "beavertail" grip safety on a pistol without a hammer.)

Obvious inspirations for the Spectre include:

The frame dimensions, barrel lock-up, extractor, finger grooves, take-down lever, stockless grip, slide release (which looked stunted), and the accessory rail on the dustcover all scream Glock.

However, the frame-mounted safety, slot trigger and trigger-guard shape, "beavertail" grip safety, and grip angle all are reminiscent of John Moses Browning's 1911. The Spectre also has a fairly short-stroke trigger, ala 1911.

I saw one listed on gunsamerica.com for $800, an older version without the polish of these newer iterations. It lacked the accessory cuts in the frame and the finger grooves. The slide was oddly blocky; the new slide is much more naturally radiused and looks strikingly Glock-ish. The new version looks a lot smarter. The pistol is manufactured from stainless steel and aerospace aluminum.

The new Spectre has it's work cut out for it carving out a niche; but so did the Croatian IM Metal HS 2000, which went on to become the wildly popular upstart known as the Springfield XD. Whether the Spectre will get off the ground is still anyone's guess; those who shoot Glock and those who shoot 1911's are of distant and differing opposing camps; whether a pistol combining features from both these guns will appeal to shooters is still to be seen."

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Other pic was shown HERE and it certainly is an interesting gun.

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
It almost looks like a toy. you have to look to make sure the barrel end isn't orange! Doesn't look bad though.

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting Firearm

Looks nicely ergonomic & like it would be comfortable to hold...but, probably not so easy to buy parts or extra magazines for. :ugh2: That is always a concern.

BTW Chris...I tried to save that one photo into the gallery. I tried twice & it came up as a BLANK. I had to delete my two blank photos from the gallery. Strange...because I saved it as both a Bitmap Image & A Gif.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
wow, I think the pistol is kinda ugly. As for the blog site, seems someone is a Glock lover and nothing else is as good. The guy just seems too opinionated to me.

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Pistol Is Ugly

But, it's ergonomically ugly! :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
There was an article on thisd gun in Combat Hanguns March 2001.
It noted that the bevertail was to prevent hand bite from the slide.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wasn't "Spectre" James Bond's arch enemy? Is that pistol for real?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The guy also sez : why would you have a beavertail grip safety without a hammer ? Well let me see ?? Golly! Just can't seem to explain it. ------

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
As I remember, I think it's similar to a High Point.......looks VERY similar in design and lines.....might be an offshoot to the High point.

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember back when a gun writer called the SIG 220 the ugliest handgun he ever saw.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hah! heresy! LOL!

He maybe hadn't had a close look at a P95 or P97 :wink:

Anyways - when it comes to carry I'll take function over form any day :smile:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts