Defensive Carry banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a line on who sells Bear Creek bullets? These are moly-coated cast bullets, and I've used them with great success in .38 Special and .45 ACP. I'm specifically after 200 gr SWC in .45, and the last outfit I ordered from just refunded my payment because they couldn't confirm timely delivery.

I've been using a local supplier, but his bullets have about a 3% weight variation which not only affects repeatable accuracy, it can make you miss making power factor in a formal match. The Bear Creek bullets have about half that weight variation, and their moly coating doesn't rub off on everything they touch.

·
Registered
170 Posts
3% weight variation is NOT the cause of accuracy problems, at least out to 50 yards with a pistol.
If PF is an issue, maybe you are trying to cut a bit too close to the edge.
If you want consistent weight, don't use cast lead bullets--any one's cast bullets. Go to swaged bullets (from Zero or Magnus or Precision Delta) or go with swaged and coated bullets from Precision Bullets (Kemp, TX). Swaged are as consistent in geometry and weight as jacketed and, unlike what so many claim, the alloy is 10-14 BHN, which is more than enough for .44 Rem Mag.
If you want Bear Creek, you'll most likely have to order from Bear Creek.
Most cast bullet companies are really quite small operations and few make it to some where like Powder Valley or your LGS. You can check with
Bear Creek Bullets ? Standard Deviation Store
but I have no idea how their prices compare to buying direct.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts