Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Bear. I'm a pastor who lives in Tennessee and preaches in Kentucky. Kind of an odd arrangement right now, but it's temporary.

I carry a Glock 27 and love military-style weapons, especially some of the great weapons my Dad used in WWII as an MP. I don't own nearly enough guns for my liking (yet), but I'm slowly working on it.

My small church is full of the greatest, most wonderful people. After church, we love to go outside and look at each other's guns, if anybody's brought something new, and go shooting in other folks' backyards when we can. For someone raised in NY, this life of good clean fun and healthy understanding of guns by the general populace is refreshing. Almost all of the men in my family were NYC cops, so guns were always everywhere. You never thought that much of it. I found out, though, that everyone around me had this terror of guns like they had a mind of their own and were out to get 'em. Bizarre.

One thing I learned from my uncles was something they said over and over: "We're not going to be able to protect you. It's everyone's job to learn how to protect themselves and to do it with the best means available. Our job is to solve crimes; we just don't have the manpower to prevent all of them. Everyone should have the means, and should have the right, to do that for themselves. Learn to defend yourself and your family."

I took their advice; I've always remembered it. And that's why I'm here and that's why this preacher packs.

God Bless all of you here,

Bear

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn and exchange ideas.

Matt

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hi Bear -

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Welcome - :smile:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Hi Bear...welcome to the forum....I'm a native NYC'er (and former NJ resident) who saw the light and now lives happily in FL.

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Welcome Bear. You sound like a preacher with good upbringing.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Brother Bear, 'Hello' from North Texas. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Welcome Bear. Wish all Pastors had your view on guns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howdy Old Chief,

What part of TN are you in? I'm East Tennessee, south of Knoxville. You an old FD or PD?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey SRFL,

My brother lives in FL now. Left FDNY on 3/4 disability after being caught in a building collapse. His knees are totally trashed now and he walks like Chester used to from the old Gunsmoke series.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Bear said:
Hey SRFL,

My brother lives in FL now. Left FDNY on 3/4 disability after being caught in a building collapse. His knees are totally trashed now and he walks like Chester used to from the old Gunsmoke series.
I used to be the NY Air National Guard; most of the "traditional" guardsmen were either NYPD, FDNY or Suffolk County PD (SCPD)....you could tell the three apart....the SCPD folks were always smiling (I would be too if I made 70K base pay after five years), the FDNY folks loved their jobs so they were always smiling too and the NYPD folks generally had a cloud over them and smiled only when necessary.....must be due to the crap pay and constant grind those poor guys n' gals faced.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Bear. Be sure to drop in on the "Calling All Preachers" thread in the Member Meeting Place section. You can find out a little about some of the other preacher on CC.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Welcome:wave:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
srfl said:
I used to be the NY Air National Guard; most of the "traditional" guardsmen were either NYPD, FDNY or Suffolk County PD (SCPD)....you could tell the three apart....the SCPD folks were always smiling (I would be too if I made 70K base pay after five years), the FDNY folks loved their jobs so they were always smiling too and the NYPD folks generally had a cloud over them and smiled only when necessary.....must be due to the crap pay and constant grind those poor guys n' gals faced.
You got to be kidding - my brother was NY ANG, too. Based on the North Shore of LI; I think Port Washington. I used to drive him there when he'd come up. He used to come up 2 weeks a year or so for duty after he moved to FL. He retired from the ANG I think in the early 90's, if I remember correctly. He was a TSgt., if I remember right. I might be off by a couple of years. But I know for sure that he was in during the late 80's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.