Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, and because carrying bear or dog spray might be easier to justify in certain juristictions.

Naturally you wouldn't carry it INTENDING to use it on human attackers, but if you were attacked by humans and happened to use bear or dog spray on them, would it be effective?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'm sure it'd work just fine. Here's a chart (scroll down the page) that compares some of the different Bear-sprays on the market. When I got to looking a little, it doesn't really seem that these are really much stronger/hotter than the "people" types (Fox Labs, Defense-Tech. etc.).

Of course, in the tactical sense, I wouldn't trust the bear spray any more than I "trust" the normal stuff. It's a step on the ladder, not the "be all to end all."

·
Administrator
143,837 Posts
OC Spray

I honestly believe that OC Spray has a valid spot in the arsenal of defensive tools for the responsible citizen. There sure may be times when OC can take care of a problem where you would not want to shoot. Depending on the situation I would always consider OC Spray as a first option. If you're right handed learn how to spray it & hit w/ it...with your left hand. Perfect example was when I worked in East Liberty & "The North Side" sometimes at night. East Liberty & N.S. were the Land Of The Downtrodden Intoxicated Pain In The A$$ Derelict Zombie People. What they wanted was money to buy more booze.
They were usually already decently "crocked" & would sometimes go so far as to follow you across the street & try to "Put Hands" on you. Honestly they did not deserve to be wearing a toe tag & what they really NEEDED more than money was Detoxification & Rehabilitation and a Long Hot Bath.
Basically they were drunk predatory moochers but, not potential killers.
Then we had the other folks that would run up & spray your windshield with Windex & start cleaning your vehicle windshield & then they would demand money for their unsolicited services.
It was an intimidation thing. I would not want to hafta explain why I "Blew Somebody Away" because I didn't want them wiping my windshield. Sometimes...if you just tried to drive away they would sit on the hood of your car.
They could have benefited from a "Shot Of OC Tonic" but, likely not a shot of Hot Lead.
I've worked around some of these "interesting people" long enough to know that while they are an extreme nuisance & need to be made to "Go Away" ~ they do not need to end up in the trauma center for mortal gunshot wounds.
They are a LOW potential DEADLY Threat but, still a minor threat & OC would serve a very useful purpose to quickly fend them off. Just my o~penguin. :wink:

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
BEARLY effective?

tanksoldier said:
Naturally you wouldn't carry it INTENDING to use it on human attackers, but if you were attacked by humans and happened to use bear or dog spray on them, would it be effective?
Well, I dunno, but I once used a CS Tear Gas GRENADE on an angry Grizzly Bear and it worked great on HIM. Blank M60 fire had almost zero effect, however. Noise was not effective. But the gas got his attention!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I once used a CS Tear Gas GRENADE on an angry Grizzly
This conjures up one heck of an image Ex - LOL! :biggrin:

I am sure at time tho it was not funny, even for Mr Bruin!! :wink:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Don't be so sure.

QKShooter said:
Basically they were drunk predatory moochers but, not potential killers.
Don't know about the homeless where you are, but a few weeks ago some fool repremanded one who was tearing apart a garbage can looking for something. The homeless guy turned around, stabbed him to death and took off. I haven't heard anything about his capture.

They live a very hard life and have to fight for everything they have, so I would put them in the junkyard dog category. Do they deserve to be killed? No, unless they are trying to kill you.

Seems to me that spray would be a good starting point, but be ready for them to become very violent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts