Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEAVERCREEK – The city of Beavercreek will pay the estate and family of John Crawford III $1.7 million to settle a wrongful death lawsuit.

Crawford was shot and killed by police after a 9-1-1 caller reported him carrying a gun through the Beavercreek Walmart nearly six years ago.

The incident occurred Aug. 5, 2014. The caller said Crawford was in the store carrying a rifle, which later was identified as a pellet gun, pointing it at women and children.

Store surveillance cameras did not show women and children anywhere near where Crawford pointed the weapon. Cameras did show two Beavercreek police officers approach him as he talked on a cell phone, and showed Officer Sean Williams fire almost immediately upon announcing themselves.

https://www.whio.com/news/crime-and-law/city-beavercreek-settle-wrongful-death-lawsuit-john-crawford-iii/UD36IVAREVCQLER4WE3PWKFDGQ/

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
There just seems to be more of these wrongful deaths, botched no knock warrants and wrong address arrests lately.
I am very pro cop, lots of cops in my family.
But gets you wondering if the quality people are not applying for the job anymore

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
I can't believe the police who shot him got away scot-free while the city (their insurance carrier) pays up. At the very least they should have lost their jobs. Who could ever trust them again after that?

Next the lawyer plans to sue Wal-Mart because the gun wasn't in a box???

Looks like the lawyer has hit pay dirt with this one.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
There just seems to be more of these wrongful deaths, botched no knock warrants and wrong address arrests lately.
I am very pro cop, lots of cops in my family.
But gets you wondering if the quality people are not applying for the job anymore
Most agencies prefer very peaceful, non-threatening candidates who use psychology and are not quick or want to use physical force.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
BEAVERCREEK – The city of Beavercreek ...

So many things are unsettling about all of this.

1. What about the caller?
2. What about the responding police officers, the town they were sworn in and police dept they were sworn by, their training agency?
3. JC III was 22 years old. Even if you begin with only the median annual income for this area, pay it for 50 years (growing it annually only per expected inflation), assuming JC III would have worked until age 72, then clearly $1.7M is woefully inadequate. And this doesn't include the pain and suffering of his family, etc.
4. (More.)

This is all so very sad.

rx7sig

·
Super Moderator
19,247 Posts
Your whole post #3. No where do you place any fault on the Einstien with the gun.
That's hardly an agenda, more like questions and speculation.

What's missing from the cited article is any factual information about what Crawford was actually doing, whether the responding officers issued any commands, etc.

·
Banned
117 Posts
That's hardly an agenda, more like questions and speculation.

What's missing from the cited article is any factual information about what Crawford was actually doing, whether the responding officers issued any commands, etc.
Though I think you'll disagree, I'll stand on what I said.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Your whole post #3. No where do you place any fault on the Einstien with the gun.
I assume he was buying the pellet gun at Wal Mart. Otherwise the lawyer wouldn't be suing Wal Mart for not having the gun in a box.

And Carrying a Pseudo Gun and the Cop had How many seconds to figure this out??. Are you really anti-2A??.
The cops had plenty of time to figure it out considering he was talking on his cell phone.

How do you get that I'm anti 2A? Because I pointed out he was on his phone when the police came charging in?

·
Registered
34,030 Posts
JL's agenda is to get a Christmas card from me, ergo--no agenda at all.:rolleyes:

Reactions: airslot and Pete63

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
[QUOIF YOU'DTE=MYMOMSSON;8008400]And carrying a gun. But that doesn't fit your agenda.[/QUOTE]

And Carrying a Pseudo Gun and the Cop had How many seconds to figure this out??. Are you really anti-2A??.
I KNOW you were here when WE (DC) discussed this @The Old Anglo. As for new guy, IF YOU HAD ACTUALLY WATCHED the video AND READ THE STORY, you'd SEE he's carrying the pellet rifle on his shoulder, with no way/intention of aiming/firing it! Cell phone in OTHER hand, and he's shot. Video doesn't show him being killed, AS PER WALMART POLICY! A BAD SHOOT! JL was correct in her comments!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
[QUOIF YOU'DTE=MYMOMSSON;8008400]And carrying a gun. But that doesn't fit your agenda.

I KNOW you were here when WE (DC) discussed this @The Old Anglo. As for new guy, IF YOU HAD ACTUALLY WATCHED the video AND READ THE STORY, you'd SEE he's carrying the pellet rifle on his shoulder, with no way/intention of aiming/firing it! Cell phone in OTHER hand, and he's shot. Video doesn't show him being killed, AS PER WALMART POLICY! A BAD SHOOT! JL was correct in her comments![/QUOTE]

Excuse me BUT he was Reported on the 911 call to be Pointing a Rifle at Women and Children and the responding Cop had that to go with!. The word was "Rifle" and Not BB Gun!. Don`t blame the Cop.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.