Defensive Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just returned from Modern Samurai Project's Red Dot Pistol | Home | Modern Samurai Project class hosted by Tactical Defense Institute outside of West Union, Ohio. I have trained for over a decade at TDI, so it was very familiar ground for me. Additionally, six of TDI's lead instructors were also participants of the class. It was a treat for me to be training alongside some of the guys who have been instructing me for so long. I've also gained much respect for them individually in their willingness and ability to change deeply-ingrained techniques and philosophies to methods in direct contradiction to what they have long been doing. Not to mention, they are all outstanding shooters, even outside the realm of their own comfort zones.

There are countless takeaways from this class, way too many to describe at one time. The biggest one, however, was a revision of my faster and more accurate goal with a red dot. My goal is to become more efficient. Those other things happen as a result. I have to revisit, revise and correct just about everything I have been doing out of the holster for many years to cause improvement in my capabilities.

Scott Jedlinski, who is the Modern Samurai Project, is easily the most unique and talented shooter and instructor I've ever trained under. That says a lot, given the great instructors I've trained under before.

I'll post more takeaways over the next few.

Here is our class pic. Scott is the large Asian man standing beside me. A shout out also for his assistant instructor, Scott Lyons, the guy in the MSP T-shirt, a truly exceptional coach and instructor in his own right.

Jeans Trousers Plant Tree Leisure

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the many considerations Scott focused on was the elimination of frenetic motion, something that really shines through for me when I am going for FAST!!!. Frenetic discourages efficient. Efficient is faster, frenetic is not. It sounds so very simple right up to the point I try to put it into practical application with the shot timer.

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And for anyone who believes cops can't shoot, attend one of these courses...

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
And for anyone who believes cops can't shoot, attend one of these courses...
Cops that train can shoot. They are the minority in my experience, but I’m always happy to see them in classes.

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cops that train can shoot. They are the minority in my experience, but I’m always happy to see them in classes.
Happily, the only cops I shoot with are the ones in my classes. While they may not represent the entire demographic, they are the ones I get to look to for my examples. I have never been in class with a cop or former cop who was an inadequate shooter.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been working with the takeaways from the class pretty much steadily since returning from the class. As far as my draw goes, My garment-clearing and bringing the gun up to form my two-handed firing grip was fairly solid going in, and has shown improvement. Forming that effective grip, otoh has taken many, often-frustrating reps. This morning as I began my dry-firing drills, that effective grip was suddenly there, repeatedly. Efficient, faster. Still there, every time.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
I have been working with the takeaways from the class pretty much steadily since returning from the class. As far as my draw goes, My garment-clearing and bringing the gun up to form my two-handed firing grip was fairly solid going in, and has shown improvement. Forming that effective grip, otoh has taken many, often-frustrating reps. This morning as I began my dry-firing drills, that effective grip was suddenly there, repeatedly. Efficient, faster. Still there, every time.
When I had my grip changed/perfected by 360 Performance my presentation times slowed down a bit, but first hit accuracy got really solid, as did controlling recoil through long shot strings with shorter split times.

Their often repeated lesson to me as I was learning was take time to build that master grip with the gun in the holster, then take the time to build support grip at high chest. Sighting becomes automatic with a good grip, you are just confirming sight picture and refining it, which saves a ton more time than you spent building a proper grip. Therefore you are more efficient at the entire process… which means lower times.

We’ll get there, and then find something else to put a lot of work into. :love:

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I just attended this class last week in Mt. Gilead. It was far better and I learned much more than that class we took together last year. Scott is a great instructor.

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just attended this class last week in Mt. Gilead. It was far better and I learned much more than that class we took together last year. Scott is a great instructor.
Hey, Kevin! I tried, tried, tried to get in the Mt. Gilead class last week, especially since it is about fifteen miles from my house. It wasn't happening. I was on the waiting list for the class at TDI this week, and on Thursday Scott's wife Beverly texted me and told me that a slot had opened up and that she would hold it for me if I could get signed up for it right now. I had another three hundred bucks or so in it with lodging, food and fuel at TDI in West Union, but well worth it.

I felt as though I had already gotten my money's worth by lunch time of the first day. The takeaways alone from the two-day course are enough to keep me busy and motivated, acquiring, practicing and perfecting in the weeks and months to come. Yes, Scott is a great instructor, moving in to a first-place tie on my list of great instructors I have received training from.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I also learned a great deal. I posted a review on 1911Forum in the LEO area.

·
Premium Member
43,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With these glowing reviews from long time intelligent posters, I really should align to attend a class, even if it is in that state down South 😉

Great thread everyone, nice comments
MSP's Scott Jedlinski has his entire class schedule booked through 2024. They sell out quickly, well in advance of the class dates. If you are considering it, pull the trigger soon. If you don't want to travel so far, you have some Michigan options available:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts