Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You hear so much about the sudden knock at the door and, BAM , you're in a self-defense situation. Recently, in my little city here in FL, an estranged husband ran after his wife down the street, shot her...she runs...goes knocking at a neighbor's door...he answers the door to help...the husband shoots his wife-AGAIN- then points his gun at the neighbor...BUT THE NEIGHBOR IS ARMED AND SHOOTS AT THE CRAZY HUSBAND...the loon runs and kills himself in a vacant lot. Great that the neighbor had a gun, but how do you keep a gun ready without looking like a gun-crazed-fanatic? I mean you really can't go walking your living room with a gun strapped to your person. OR CAN YOU? I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone know about a good, quality, in-the-wall gun safe that makes a gun accessible while keeping in mind that kids are in the house. Thanks for your help. Stay well and Stay Sane.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I would rather have a gun on me at home than one in a gun safe, no matter where the safe is located.

Here is a likely scenario for a home invasion at my home: my wife and I are sitting on the couch watching t.v. when the front door gets kicked in. If I have a gun in a gunsafe over by the door, it does me absolutely no good because the BG is by the door, and I'm 10 feet from it.

For me, the gun is either on me, or it may very likely do me absolutely no good.

You asked how does one carry at home without looking like a gun-crazed fanatic. Concealed works even at home. :smile: Plus it give one good practice at concealment, even if your family knows you are carrying concealed. It becomes a way of life rather than something you do when you leave your house, or when you feel like it.

If you think you'll have time to retrieve a gun from a gunsafe during a home invasion, you are rolling the dice: you may get lucky, or you may not.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Concealed means concealed.

if I have to answer the door, nobody sees the gun that doesn't need to see it. But it's still there, just in case.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You hear so much about the sudden knock at the door and, BAM , you're in a self-defense situation. Recently, in my little city here in FL, an estranged husband ran after his wife down the street, shot her...she runs...goes knocking at a neighbor's door...he answers the door to help...the husband shoots his wife-AGAIN- then points his gun at the neighbor...BUT THE NEIGHBOR IS ARMED AND SHOOTS AT THE CRAZY HUSBAND...the loon runs and kills himself in a vacant lot. Great that the neighbor had a gun, but how do you keep a gun ready without looking like a gun-crazed-fanatic? I mean you really can't go walking your living room with a gun strapped to your person. OR CAN YOU? I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone know about a good, quality, in-the-wall gun safe that makes a gun accessible while keeping in mind that kids are in the house. Thanks for your help. Stay well and Stay Sane.
Huh?
In that case there are two crazy people(including myself) living in my house. The third is my daughter who can't wait until she is old enough to get a carry permit.
Whew, at least that's one "talk" I won't have to have with her.:smile:
I got my carry permit to carry, all the time, not just outside of the house, and in fact carried daily at home for 3 months while I waited for that permit to make it legal in public.
I can't understand those who get a permit and carry part-time.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
It's your house.....do whatever you want including having your EDC on you. Also...if it's not on you, you should have time to get it before you answer a knock at the door. I answered the door once last year and the two Jehovah's Witness ladies got a full view of my G19 appendix carry. So what?
If the kids are in the house, then the best place is on you. Sometimes it makes it difficult to relax, but remember Sampson and how he got his haircut? Think about this as well when you're at home with the family.....you fall asleep on the job and others may very well pay for your mistakes.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I have my LCP in my pocket at all times. Much faster than a safe, and in a blackhawk 1 pocket holster nobody can even tell. With all the home invasions all over the place, there's no way I would feel like a gun crazed fanatic. I feel like a prepared, air craving, enjoying life human being minding my own, and that's the way I like it. You don't have to have a cannon on ya, just something to even the score just incase something does happen.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
It's your house.....do whatever you want including having your EDC on you. Also...if it's not on you, you should have time to get it before you answer a knock at the door. I answered the door once last year and the two Jehovah's Witness ladies got a full view of my G19 appendix carry. So what?
If the kids are in the house, then the best place is on you. Sometimes it makes it difficult to relax, but remember Sampson and how he got his haircut? Think about this as well when you're at home with the family.....you fall asleep on the job and others may very well pay for your mistakes.
Ram Rod, did that help get rid of them??? I'd be willing to give that a try:yup:

·
Registered
203 Posts
My LEO brother says the safest place for his firearm is on his hip.

He carries everywhere. If we're smoking cigars on the deck, he's carrying.

I was reading a Massad Ayoob article about this, and he said that the bad guys can choose when and where they will need a firearm. We don't have that luxury, so we must remain vigilant at all times.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If I'm awake, I have my 1911 on, along with 2 spare mags.
If I'm asleep..then I'm within 1/2 a arms reach from a AR15, my carry 1911, another 1911 with a X300 attached...sometimes my Rem AOW 12 ga.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
When in the bedroom, the gun can be had rather quickly. For me, I am a bit different that the rest here, it is not always on me, but always where I can get to it rather quickly.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Florida is a concealed carry state only, but at home it's either OC in my belt, CC in my belt, or on the table next to me...no problemo.
If I answer the door at night, I already know who is there...if I do not know who it is, I may not answer, or...I may go around back with the dog and ask who it is.
Multiple visitors will not get an answer.:22a:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I guess Im crazy, because I'm still wearing my gun.....s.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I carry all the time even in my home and I'm not crazy just a realistic person

·
Registered
315 Posts
LCP always on me, either in my front pocket or in a waistband holster while wearing lounge pants.

I answer the door with my hand in my pocket gripping the gun.

I figure I can unload it while working my way to other larger caliber handguns placed strategically throughout the house.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
If you chose to keep your gun in a safe, you are at risk when you answer the door. That should be considered. If you don't want to be the victim of being attacked when you answer the door, you either retrieve your gun from the safe before answering the door or chose to use some other less effective means to defend yourself if you are immediately under attack when you answer the door. Or don't answer the door.

If you have kids in the home, yet you want to have the best and most effective tool immediately available to you in order to defend yourself against an attack at the front door, then the best option is to carry your gun on your person under your control or retrieve your gun from where you store it in a child proof container before you answer the door.

If you choose to not have a firearm immediately available when you come under attack, then you have to deal with that attack as best you can with something less effective then the firearm.

It all boils down to choices. Your choices! Your free will to chose how you wish to defend yourself or prepare for defense. And you have to take responsibility for the outcome as a result of the choices you make one way or the other.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
You hear so much about the sudden knock at the door and, BAM , you're in a self-defense situation.
In can be that quick. And your ability to do something about it starts right then. The choices you make will determine whether you're highly likely to withstand the attack, or only possibly able to do so.

Your circumstances will also make certain choices better ones in your situation, as compared to those same choices for me, since our circumstances will be somewhat different. Consider the layout of your home, your front walkway/entry area and whether you can see/know who is coming before they see you; whether someone can approach or even enter windows or doors without your knowledge; whether you'll get much advance warning of a breach of the perimeter, or none. There are many steps you can take, and a firearm is only one of a dozen different steps that can be layered to form a fairly robust and effective early-warning system to help you present the firmest possible resistance.

... how do you keep a gun ready without looking like a gun-crazed-fanatic?
"What do you care what other people think?"
- Richard P. Feynman. Nobel Laureate, Physics.​

I mean you really can't go walking your living room with a gun strapped to your person. OR CAN YOU?
Sure. I do it daily. So do many, many others that frequent the forums here. There are very good reasons for doing so.

Some thoughts ...

Take an hour, on a fine Saturday morning, when you're relaxing with a cup of tea and watching the sun come up. Think through each of the different situations that could occur, if one or two criminals decide that your house is the one to strike. Think about a violent, noisy home invasion. Think about a quiet, surreptitious access via a rear window at 2am. Think about someone coming in while you're out back mowing the lawn, but your 14yr old daughter is inside being hunted down. Think one or more people coming into the back yard while you're preparing a BBQ lunch for your kids. Think about a crime next door, which gets you to exit from the house to see what's up or if you can help.

As you think about these types of situations, you'll realize that very little can beat having a firearm on your person at that moment. It's not for everyone. It's not for 24x7. But it can be a very useful and functional method for that element of your preparations.

And, yes, there are many here who lambast such people as fearful cowards who cannot look at a shadow without jumping. Ignore such silliness. They're small-minded, attempting to make you feel small for thinking big thoughts about your family's security. Why ignore it? Because it is YOUR safety you're talking about, not their inability to feel good about your decisions for your family's security. Nobody's health and well-being matters in that decision but your own.

does anyone know about a good, quality, in-the-wall gun safe that makes a gun accessible while keeping in mind that kids are in the house.
AMSEC (American Security) makes a couple of decent in-wall units. Anchor it really well to steel plates inside your 2x4's, and have it outfitted with a quick-access mechanism.

No matter how quick-release you make a safe, it's still going to take a few seconds to move over to it, and a couple seconds to open it and access the contents. Better to have your firearm on your person, or at least within easy reach. You'll need to think it through, as to why one method over another makes sense, or will/won't work for you. There are a lot of previous discussions on this topic, where folks lay out their rationale for how they do it.

My recommendation would be to work through the various scenarios with your spouse and older kids, so that everyone understands basically what could happen, what simple preparations are going to be taken, and what to do with SHTF. It's far better to round up the flock when they're actively assisting in the round-up. And it's far better when everyone's pulling on the oars together, instead of fighting each other at exactly that moment when you can least afford it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My eighteen year old solution: buy j-frame Smith & Wesson, buy pocket holster, put gun in holster, put holstered gun in front pants pocket. As I age, bought second j-frame, holster, shove in left pocket. 2 hands=2 guns. Oh, load each with quality ammo. Never cheap-out or under buy to save a buck.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts