Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that is interested in purchasing one of these guns and asked me for advice, but since I haven't held or shot either, I thought I'd ask here.
Which one would you chose and why? It would be used for target and HD.
The other thing I didn't know about is adding a laser. He said he'd like to add a laser, but I'm not sure if that can be an option.
If you could give me your thoughts or also something similar that you can attach a laser to, that would be great.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a buddy that is interested in purchasing one of these guns and asked me for advice, but since I haven't held or shot either, I thought I'd ask here.
Which one would you chose and why? It would be used for target and HD.
The other thing I didn't know about is adding a laser. He said he'd like to add a laser, but I'm not sure if that can be an option.
If you could give me your thoughts or also something similar that you can attach a laser to, that would be great.
Thanks for your input.
No question IMO. CZ-75 SP-01. If he wants a decocker get the SP-01 Tactical.

He should skip the laser and get a high quality light so that he can identify targets rapidly and clearly in the middle of the night. The TLR-1 is great. The TLR-1HL is extremely bright and I would only suggest that if he doesn't have white walls in the home.

If he wants the decocker model he should throw in some Cajun Gun Works parts to improve the DA. The stock DA is realllly heavy. They sell a kit for $44 that cuts the DA in half and maintains 100% reliability.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yes, and a light/laser combo might be good for him.

I carried an issued 92FS Police Special for 4 years, owned a crappy 92FS
with the Clintonista 10 round mags that were total junk.. about 10 years later.

Went back to my Pre-B CZ75s, then the 97B and RAMI.

A Beretta does not fit my hand as well as they used to.

Cz75 still feels good as does my MOD 2 Service Model.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
They're both in my top 5 favorite pistols for the range. The CZ-75s seem to fit my hands better but I shoot the Berettas just as well, if not better. I have pretty average size hands. I like the triggers on both, even in stock condition, but I usually end up swapping out some springs to lighten up the DA pull. On the Beretta, I just install a "D" hammer spring for $6.00 and leave it at that. On the CZ, I swap out the hammer spring, firing pin spring and firing pin block spring (Cajun Gun Works kit for $17). I've never had a failure with any CZ-75 or Beretta 92 I've owned. I prefer the Beretta stock sights over the CZs, which is good because you can't really swap out the front sight on many of the standard model Berettas like the 92FS or M9. You have to resort to milling or other professional assistance if you want a different front sight. There are variants with removable dovetailed front sights, including the Brigadier, Vertec, 92A1, etc. These models are generally more expensive than the common 92FS. CZ-75s have more aftermarket sight options, and it's not too difficult to replace the sights yourself, IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
That's a tough call. I've got several 92's, and they're a dream to shoot. I picked up an old CZ75 a few months ago, and I love shooting it as well. To me it would come down to feel, What kind of sights you like, and which you shoot better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mrs. slayer has a small collection of pistols from which to choose on range day. As a woman, her mind changes frequently, but right now, her CZ75b SAO is her favorite. She chose it over her S&W 9mm revolver, her Colt 45 and her long time favorite, her M&P9c and her most recent favorite, her XD9.... well you get the idea :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 92fs is my favorite full sized 9mm. Mine has been 100% reliable since day one and I shoot it well. If I could only have one pistol I'm reaching past my Glock, Ruger, Springfield, Sig and Smith & Wesson and grapping the old girl I'm that confident in it. Good luck I'm sure the CZ is a fine pistol as well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've never shot either of them...LGS carries the 92fs, but I've never, ever seen a CZ there. I've held the 92fs on numerous occasions but it has never really felt good in my hand. On the other hand, my daughter in law loves the 92fs, and has hinted that if I were ever to "help" them buy another gun, that's what she'd like.

What I really suggest is that your buddy go rent and shoot each of these, and maybe some others, to find out what feels best to him. I know for a fact that guns that feel good to my range buddy don't necessarily feel great to me. We both like his EMP, but he's not fond of my Kimber or G30, and although I have an XDs it isn't my fav, while he really enjoys his. YMMV

·
Registered
531 Posts
If I were in the market for an all metal, full-sized range/house gun, it would probably be a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical. I wouldn't overlook the CZ P09 either. I have the FDE version that comes with factory night sights that I use for one of my home defense guns. It's been flawless from the box is also an outstanding choice for the job.

·
Banned
240 Posts
CZ75

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 92 and it is a great pistol. You can do a lot of mods to it. CZ's have a good reputation as being high quality. I will have one some day.

·
Registered
440 Posts
CZ for sure.

·
Banned
240 Posts
Carried this CZ75 that I custom performance tuned for several years. Very Accurate but slow draw cycle compared to my MEUSOC and rig.

50 Meters Rapid Fire. Your Mileage May Vary. Sold It To Well Known USPSA Shooter, He Uses It In Competition. My MEUSOC is much better.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I like them both, but could I keep only one, it would be the CZ.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ive shot both, they're both great pistols. The Beretta is going to have more parts and magazine commonality, while the CZ is going to have parts and magazine specific to each model. Also, some CZ models are not +P rated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts