Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody speak to the quality of the Beretta 92's trigger? I hear people say that the single action trigger stacks, and that the double action pull is very long and heavy and will throw your first shot off (is it any longer and heavier than a DA revolver?). I am thinking of picking an Italian FS model up, but I've never had a SA/DA auto before, and I wouldn't want a pistol that would make it hard to learn the system.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
First off, I don't care for DA pistols for carry, though I do own three. The standard Beretta 92 FS trigger is heavy and long for its DA shot. When I owned one, I installed their 'D' hammer spring and that made a significant difference in the trigger feel and weight. But you are not going to be able to do anything about the DA first shot from rest. That's the way a DA gun is designed and meant to operate.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Their trigger is ok but nothing special. My first pistol was DA/SA, a Ruger P90 DC and there really isn't much difference between the two. If you get used to it you'll be fine, but I prefer a striker style trigger on a semi auto. I leave DA to my revolvers.

When I got to shoot my father's Beretta I was not impressed.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
The factory trigger is decent, but not great. I've got one with the Wilson Combat trigger parts, and it's a big improvement. Upgraded springs make a big difference too. Honestly, my 92S has the best trigger of all my 92's. The SA pull is excellent, with a reset and feel rivaling any quality 1911. But the trigger feel is one of the reasons I prefer my Sigs over my Berettas.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I carry the 92FS on duty and the trigger is OK. The SA does not stack on the ones I have handled but the DA is long and heavy (14 - 16 lbs.). This is due to the original military contract where the hammer had to fall with enough force to fire foreign 9MM ammo. If you want to lighten the trigger pull simply replace the standard hammer spring with a D model hammer spring. It will lighten the trigger pull significantly and the hammer will fall with enough force to fire American made ammo. I did that to my personal Beretta 92F and it is as different as night and day. On the practice range my scores went up 10 - 15 points.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
DA/SA guns are designed to have a heavy DA pull. That's part of the safety system designed into the gun.
My old 92F seems as smooth as my Sigs as far as the trigger pull...never really gave it any thought. They are all heavy DA pulls...approx 10.5-12 Lbs with SA pulls approx half that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts