Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the Beretta 21A Bobcat in 22lr. I realize that it is not a Realistic Carry gun for me, but a just for fun gun for woods plinking.
Does anyone own one of these, I would like to here any comments good or bad. The online reviews look pretty good, and the guns are cheap.
I have about 12K of 22lr and need to use some of it up

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
I had one for about 10-12 yrs and could rarely get an entire magazine without a FTF or stovepipe. Mine was VERY ammo sensitive! I finally traded it off. Get a S&W M&P 22 Compact (not full size) and you can thank me later!:cool: I have one that is well past 4,000 rd mark with no problems! It will shoot any kind of cheap bulk or more expensive ammo if it will go bang! It is actually more reliable than my 10-22 and VERY easy for most anybody to shoot! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
Another positive word for the M&P .22 compact. The compact, not the full size one. It is an inexpensive, accurate, very reliable gun and a lot of fun to shoot. It's not a target pistol like a Ruger Mark target model or a Buckmark. It's just a FUN TO SHOOT gun!

I hope you own those woods for at least a full mile in every direction. Shooting in the woods without a proper backstop is extremely dangerous, as you should know. .22 rounds can travel a very long way!

·
Super Moderator
23,372 Posts
Not reliable for plinking. Frustrating to own unless your expectations are low. Sensitive to dirt and grim, sensitive to ammo, OK, but having had two for many years, I’d pass and look around. The M&P Compact would be at the top of my list.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK the Beretta is out of the picture. What about the Ruger LCP II in 22lr

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
OK the Beretta is out of the picture. What about the Ruger LCP II in 22lr
One of my friends has one. She likes it a lot. It will not load, shoot or eject Aguila super high velocity but seems to eat everything else. I hate it because of the heavy DA/SA Ruger "from Chicago to New York" long trigger pull. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Look at the PPK/s in 22lr buddy had one and could not kill it even with normal dirty ammo ..Feels good and makes you feel like 007 for half the price ..

If one wast wnated a 22 carry gun I would deg for a wheel gun like a LCR or J frame in 22lr ..As you will get the same ammont of rounds most of the time and if missfire just pull again

As to the bobcat yep same issus some work others no matter what wont work ..They are range toys only ..The new threaded barrel models are nice I wonder if qc has gotten any better

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
I recently took an older neighbor who was new to handguns to the range with his new LCP II .22. It could not go through a full mag of Remington Golden Bullets without some FTF's. Same with Remington Viper and Winchester 36 gr hollow points. I had high hopes for the little Ruger LCP II but was very disappointed. Unfortunately we didn't have any CCI Mini-mags or Federal high velocity 36 gr hollow points which will usually work in picky .22's. We finally gave up and I let him shoot my M&P 22 Compact with the same crappy Remington ammo. It went through it like a fat kid eating Skittles! He has some buyers remorse now. He is going to try some CCI Mini-Mags if he can find them. During times like this you don't need guns that are picky about what kind of ammo to feed them. Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I have been looking at the Beretta 21A Bobcat in 22lr. I realize that it is not a Realistic Carry gun for me, but a just for fun gun for woods plinking.
Does anyone own one of these, I would like to here any comments good or bad. The online reviews look pretty good, and the guns are cheap.
I have about 12K of 22lr and need to use some of it up
My sister in law keeps a Bobcat 22LR in her purse at all times. I've had the opportunity to fire it a bit and it's a darn fine little shooter. I also have a Beretta Jetfire in 25acp and it's a real hoot. Those mini-Berettas are good little firearms. Not a good SD choice, but cute and well made mouse guns.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My sister in law keeps a Bobcat 22LR in her purse at all times. I've had the opportunity to fire it a bit and it's a darn fine little shooter. I also have a Beretta Jetfire in 25acp and it's a real hoot. Those mini-Berettas are good little firearms. Not a good SD choice, but cute and well made mouse guns.
I too have owned both of these Berettas mentioned.
I loved them both, and had zero issues with either of them.
I wish I still had them.

I suppose there are lemons in all brands of firearms. Sometimes ya get a Edsel, sometimes ya get a Cadillac.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had the .25 acp Jetfire forever. It was my first and only concealed carry for many years. It's still an occasional backup on the ankle. Fun to shoot but I did have problems with off-brand, cheap ammo.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Imop the best tip up guns bretta made are the org pre 1968 models as they have no satfy very handy last ditch belly guns /get me off guns

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I will also vouch for the S&W M&P .22Compact. It is a great little pistol; eats anything standard velocity and up. I have a Beretta Bobcat in .22 too, mine runs like a swiss watch as long as I use high or hyper velocity ammo like CCI Mini Mags or Eley High Velocity stuff. I do occasionally pocket carry it, and it's loaded with the rather expensive Eley for that purpose for reliability's sake. And, I recently acquired a Made in France Walther PPK/S in .22lr. that is very well built and an incredibly accurate and fun little pistol. All three are keepers for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts