Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know all about that first long, hard DA trigger pull on these guns. I was practicing with the DA trigger pull the other day, and noticed if I pulled the trigger back part way, the hammer clicked into a partially cocked position and stayed there when I took my finger off the trigger. In a way, this partial cock, eliminates a little bit of that long pull when pulling the trigger again. Is this an intentional function of these guns? Can it be carried partial cocked, ulocked? Does the partial cock eliminate any sort of drop safety? If not, what is the function of this partial cock? One YouTube video said partial cock was a sort of safety for a slip during manual cocking.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
We know all about that first long, hard DA trigger pull on these guns. I was practicing with the DA trigger pull the other day, and noticed if I pulled the trigger back part way, the hammer clicked into a partially cocked position and stayed there when I took my finger off the trigger. In a way, this partial cock, eliminates a little bit of that long pull when pulling the trigger again. Is this an intentional function of these guns? Can it be carried partial cocked, ulocked? Does the partial cock eliminate any sort of drop safety? If not, what is the function of this partial cock? One YouTube video said partial cock was a sort of safety for a slip during manual cocking.
There are better ways to improve the DA pull.

The half-cock notch is there for a reason and it's not for carry.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
The half cock, to my understanding, is simply there to catch the hammer should you be manually cocking it and it's slips from your thumb, or should it be cocked fully and the sear fail the hammer would fall to half cock, insuring against an unintentional discharge.

And NO, it is not meant to be carried on half cock.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The half cock, to my understanding, is simply there to catch the hammer should you be manually cocking it and it's slips from your thumb, or should it be cocked fully and the sear fail the hammer would fall to half cock, insuring against an unintentional discharge.

And NO, it is not meant to be carried on half cock.
Friend of mine went through the Beretta 40 hour Armorer's Course several years back and he said that was what he remembered the half cock position was for.

·
Registered
437 Posts
As stated earlier, the half cock position is a safety feature to aid in preventing an accidental discharge. It's not intended to be carried this way.

For a much better DA pull, look into getting a 16# hammer spring or even better replace the stock hammer with a skeletonized one along with an even lighter 14# hammer spring. The trigger performance will be significantly improved with this change to the pistol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts