Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen what appears to be a good deal on a Beretta Pico today and was wondering what people thought about them. I do not have a pocket gun as of yet so I was thinking if the opinions about it were decent I might take a chance on it.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
My opinion is based upon owning one.
Pros - High quality build. Very small, easily concealable. Good sights. Accurate for size of firearm. Reliability was high, with no failures in approximately 300 rounds.
Cons - Difficult to manipulate slide release or manually rack slide. The slide is very narrow and the slide release very small, which is good for concealment. The slide serrations are also very small and shallow, which for me made gripping the slide extremely difficult. I have seen postings where persons have used skateboard tape to place over the slide serration area to improve gripping, but for me I chose to sell the one I had.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I don't think they are very popular, possibly because they are so weird looking.

That might affect resale value...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I've carried a pocket gun for many years. A few months ago I switched to the Pico and so far it has been very impressive. The gun is accurate and reliable. The big surprise was how softly it shot for such a small pistol. It has all of the features I look for in a pocket gun; thin, hammer fired, DAO trigger, no safety, secure magazine release and light weight. The Pico has it all.

The modular design makes it simple for normal takedown and easy to perform a very thorough cleaning by removing the trigger module. The fact that it comes in three different configurations, standard, integrated laser or light is pretty neat. I bought a standard frame Pico then later purchased the laser frame on sale from Beretta for $70. Turns out I really like the laser. I carry it in a remora holster.

I have no trouble racking the slide. Beretta made some changes last year that improved the pistol and the boxes are so marked. All ammo I've tried has worked, about 7 or 8 different brands. It is a bit odd looking and even feels a bit odd in the hand, but it shoots great. I highly recommend the Pico.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I've carried a pocket gun for many years. A few months ago I switched to the Pico and so far it has been very impressive. The gun is accurate and reliable. The big surprise was how softly it shot for such a small pistol. It has all of the features I look for in a pocket gun; thin, hammer fired, DAO trigger, no safety, secure magazine release and light weight. The Pico has it all.

The modular design makes it simple for normal takedown and easy to perform a very thorough cleaning by removing the trigger module. The fact that it comes in three different configurations, standard, integrated laser or light is pretty neat. I bought a standard frame Pico then later purchased the laser frame on sale from Beretta for $70. Turns out I really like the laser. I carry it in a remora holster.

I have no trouble racking the slide. Beretta made some changes last year that improved the pistol and the boxes are so marked. All ammo I've tried has worked, about 7 or 8 different brands. It is a bit odd looking and even feels a bit odd in the hand, but it shoots great. I highly recommend the Pico.
I have been considering a pocket 380 as of late, so I'm glad this thread came up. To me, the Pico looks better built than do some of the other small 380's such as the LCP and Bodyguard. Curious to know if you carried any of the other small pocket sized 380 semi auto's?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you for the review. It may be just me but one thing that has drawn me to this gun is the sights. The fact that it has actual adjustable sights is an attraction for me. They are actually large enough to see. i understand that in a small profile pocket gun, space is at a premium, but these do not seem to really affect things much. What is your opinion of the sights and do they tend to hang up on your clothing?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have been considering a pocket 380 as of late, so I'm glad this thread came up. To me, the Pico looks better built than do some of the other small 380's such as the LCP and Bodyguard. Curious to know if you carried any of the other small pocket sized 380 semi auto's?
I carried a Seecamp LWS32 for a long time and would be still to this day had not a family member wanted it. I gave it to her. Family duty and all that. I set about on a determined search for a new pocket gun. Only because I wanted to see what else was available other than the wonderful and reliable little Seecamp and try something different; I looked at and studied the Rugers, both old and II models, Keltec, Bodyguard, a couple Kahrs, Springfield and a few other also rans not worth mentioning. All .380s available as well as a couple small 9mms. The Beretta won me over with the offered features, thin profile and honestly it's rock solid Beretta pedigree. It has performed better than I expected. Some of the other small .380s may well be excellent choices, but the Pico has the "stuff" I wanted, in particular the hammer, trigger type and pull, sleek snag free profile, thinness... all qualities I've come to know are important in a pocket gun and all also present in my beloved, gone, Seecamp. Yes, I did consider strongly another Seecamp. I just thought that after so many years, I'd try a new gun.

For the sake of full disclosure... when I carry more than a pocket gun, rare these days of retirement, I carry a HK P2000sk. A 10 out of 10 CCW IMHO.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thank you for the review. It may be just me but one thing that has drawn me to this gun is the sights. The fact that it has actual adjustable sights is an attraction for me. They are actually large enough to see. i understand that in a small profile pocket gun, space is at a premium, but these do not seem to really affect things much. What is your opinion of the sights and do they tend to hang up on your clothing?
The sights are indeed good and usable. Beretta offers Trijicon NS that you can install yourself using the set screws that hold the original sights. However, they are not adjustable. I use a remora holster and have not experienced any snag problems.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
FWIW;

Took the Pico out today to the range to try some Winchester SXZ. As expected it worked fine. Shot 8 mags of two brands to also include the Hornady. No problems. Again used the laser on a couple mags and shot as well or better with the laser. This gun is certainly proving that it isn't ammo sensitive.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I love my Pico. It is my absolute every day everywhere carry. Is it my pocket whether I have my primary iwb or not. It is easy to conceal and is pretty accurate for such a small gun. The talon sandpaper grips were a must for me as I can only get 3 fingers on it. I had a few issues in the beginning but after sending back for a rework it has been flawless. I do have an early model. I hear the later models have the mods already taken care of...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read some pretty negative stuff about the Pico from a review when the gun was introduced at the SHOT show, so I bought the Beretta Nano 9mm instead. Love it! Really accurate. My favorite concealed carry gun.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I carried a Seecamp LWS32 for a long time and would be still to this day had not a family member wanted it. I gave it to her. Family duty and all that. I set about on a determined search for a new pocket gun. Only because I wanted to see what else was available other than the wonderful and reliable little Seecamp and try something different; I looked at and studied the Rugers, both old and II models, Keltec, Bodyguard, a couple Kahrs, Springfield and a few other also rans not worth mentioning. All .380s available as well as a couple small 9mms. The Beretta won me over with the offered features, thin profile and honestly it's rock solid Beretta pedigree. It has performed better than I expected. Some of the other small .380s may well be excellent choices, but the Pico has the "stuff" I wanted, in particular the hammer, trigger type and pull, sleek snag free profile, thinness... all qualities I've come to know are important in a pocket gun and all also present in my beloved, gone, Seecamp. Yes, I did consider strongly another Seecamp. I just thought that after so many years, I'd try a new gun.

For the sake of full disclosure... when I carry more than a pocket gun, rare these days of retirement, I carry a HK P2000sk. A 10 out of 10 CCW IMHO.
Thanks for the info! Nice choice on the P2000sk!

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I own or have owned at some point quite a few pocket guns, including the Pico. I found the Pico to be high quality, and I liked the sights (I added night sights too). I did not like the difficult to operate slide release, but that's about it really. The Pico is smaller than most of its competitors and has a long trigger pull. Some people may find the trigger breaks in an awkward place for them. I ended up trading the Pico to someone who liked it more than me, but I had no issues with the gun.

If you're buying a new one, it's not an issue, but if it's a used one, I'd be sure it had the upgrade done (Sep 2015).
Pico Pistol Serial Number Search

I had an earlier one and had the upgrade done. It improved the trigger quite a bit. It was also supposed to help with reliability since some of the earlier guns had issues with weaker ammo. Mine never did, but I had also racked the slide like a thousand times before ever shooting it. It was pretty tight.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I own or have owned at some point quite a few pocket guns, including the Pico. I found the Pico to be high quality, and I liked the sights (I added night sights too). I did not like the difficult to operate slide release, but that's about it really. The Pico is smaller than most of its competitors and has a long trigger pull. Some people may find the trigger breaks in an awkward place for them. I ended up trading the Pico to someone who liked it more than me, but I had no issues with the gun.

If you're buying a new one, it's not an issue, but if it's a used one, I'd be sure it had the upgrade done (Sep 2015).
Pico Pistol Serial Number Search

I had an earlier one and had the upgrade done. It improved the trigger quite a bit. It was also supposed to help with reliability since some of the earlier guns had issues with weaker ammo. Mine never did, but I had also racked the slide like a thousand times before ever shooting it. It was pretty tight.
Wow good info to know. I did buy it new so that is my latest update. Im not really sure when I will be able to get out and shoot it. I hope soon but its been cold over the past month so getting out to shoot has been difficult but Im sure I will like it. I have read the reviews and they are mixed. It seems people love them or hate them. I bought it at what I feel is a very reasonable price and it does fill a need I currently have so I will let everyone know what I think of it when it warms up. Thanks again for all the replies

·
Banned
329 Posts
Hi

I plan to carry the Pico like this
Mobile phone case Handgun holster Leather Mobile phone accessories Gun accessory

Nice idea isnt it? In plain sight of everybody and nobody knows.

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hi

I plan to carry the Pico like this

Nice idea isnt it? In plain sight of everybody and nobody knows.
That is an interesting idea. A good solution to anyone that carries a Pico with a laser and can't find a good quality leather holster to fit. My phone is too big though. Do I get a smaller phone or carry a larger gun? Hmmm....

·
Banned
329 Posts
With that cell phone Holster I posted you can fit easy an Microsoft Lumia 532 4" Screen smartphone with an additional shock proof case on it.

I believe even an 5" Smartphone will fit since the elastic side bands on both Smartphone gun Holsters are lots of flexible. They Flex a lot if needed and I believe they are made for any size Smartphones.

I think it is a good idea since you have both on you: the gun in a disguised way (+ some spare magazines or Speed loaders) and the Smartphone.

·
Banned
329 Posts
they had a Pico and the Nano at my LGS and they couldn't even give it away.
Tell your LGS, if they want to give it to me for free I readily will foreward them my FFL dealer in the US who will Import it for me.
I'll take them both.

Like that I can pay only s&h and customs.

Reactions: Tundra5.7

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I don't normally respond to old threads but I got to tell you, I LOVED my Nano... it just didn't run without stovepiping every now and again. Too risky for me, but talk about the perfect feel and size. If I had a good one, i would never let it go.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts