Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor is thinking about buying one of these little .380s and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them, good or bad. Thanks much.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The little gun feels great in the hand and for the most part shoots great. But here is the problem. Mine has had a lot of troubles with the trigger. It wants to hang up and has to be pushed back into position from time to time. I sent it back to Beretta and they claimed to fix it. When it came back it worked fine for about 300 rounds then started to do it again. It does not do it all the time, just every so often so it is hard to tie it down to a certain number of rounds when it will happen. While the little gun has class I cannot recommend it for this reason. This may be just a problem with mine and not a problem in general with the gun. If your neighbor buys one he should know he is taking a chance on it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Picked up one, held it for a min, put it down and walked away. But that could be because I'm not a small gun guy.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I carry a Pico. It has been very reliable, easy and soft to shoot for such a small gun and accurate enough. I really like the overall design that makes it simple to care for. The modular system makes it easy to clean very thoroughly. The sights are good. The size, weight and thinness make the Beretta easy to pocket carry. I like the fact that it has a hammer and restrike ability. Good safe trigger pull. Be sure to get the more updated model with the enhanced label on the box.

Add a laser or a light in one of three ways to configure the gun. Pretty cool. I bought a standard Pico but added the laser frame and I like it. Find it simple to use and right on target at 15 feet.

It has all the features I want in a small pocket carry plus excellent Beretta quality. I looked at all of the competition and the Pico had it all.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I carry a Pico. It has been very reliable, easy and soft to shoot for such a small gun and accurate enough. I really like the overall design that makes it simple to care for. The modular system makes it easy to clean very thoroughly. The sights are good. The size, weight and thinness make the Beretta easy to pocket carry. I like the fact that it has a hammer and restrike ability. Good safe trigger pull. Be sure to get the more updated model with the enhanced label on the box.

Add a laser or a light in one of three ways to configure the gun. Pretty cool. I bought a standard Pico but added the laser frame and I like it. Find it simple to use and right on target at 15 feet.

It has all the features I want in a small pocket carry plus excellent Beretta quality. I looked at all of the competition and the Pico had it all.
I agree with a couple of additional comments. I had one of the later models which I had purchased as a BUG. I thought it was very good quality of build, sights were good for a pocket gun, accurate, but there were two things that I couldn't come to resolution with that led to me selling it. The slide serrations were inadequate for me to get good purchase and the slide release was difficult to operate. So, with the slide locked back and inserting a fresh mag, I was fumbling around attempting to get it into battery. I have seen some use skateboard tape on the slide, but I couldn't bring myself to do such. If you have the opportunity to shoot one prior to purchase, I would suggest giving it a run down first and see what you think, as you might have greater finger grip than me and not have a problem.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I had one for about 300 rounds. No issues with reliability, but I never really put more than 25-50 rounds through it per range trip, and it was cleaned after every use. I don't expect guns this small to go that many rounds between cleanings. It's solidly built, has good sights and is really small. It's pretty easy to swap out sights, and Beretta sells night sights for it. With that said, the mag release and slide release are really low profile and hard to use. I'd think of this gun like a Seecamp or other deep cover emergency gun that you shouldn't really bother carrying extra mags with or practice a whole lot operating the controls. I've found a lot of better choices than the Pico for pocket guns, but, again, mine was reliable for the time I had it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree with ripley16 on the take down of the gun. There is no easier gun to fieldstrip and clean. I really want to like this gun. Heck, I even bought two spare mags and a holster from Beretta for it just before it first started to give trouble.I just wish mine did not have the trigger problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I love mine... It requires a sandpaper grip (Talon) for me to hang onto it. I have big hands so I can only get 2 fingers and a thumb on it... It is a soft shooter for its size and accurate... It is definitely my go to deep conceal pocket carry... Love the simplicity of breakdown and the stainless slide and internals.... I have an early model and have had the spring modification done... Had several malfunctions before the modifications... Has been reliable since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts