Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of changing from my sig p239 .40 to a 9mm. I've looked at the sig 9mm's and they definitely interest me as I like sig, but this PX4 has caught my eye. The P239 is a great gun, but trying to shoot at least 100 rounds a week is starting to really eat into the wallet.

However, I can't seem to find any reviews on the thing. Does anyone on here own one or has shot one? Or if anyone can simply point me in the direction of a review that includes firing the gun. I've tried searching with no luck.

Ultimately it'd still have to feel "right" in my hands and stuff, but I'd like to know that it's a reliable handgun going into the gun store.

Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've never shot one, but I've handled one at a gun show. Seems like a nice gun and easy to point.

But, it's just so ugly, I could never get one. (I've got a USP, so I know an ugly gun when I see one :) )

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I really like the ugly ray gun look. Dunno why, but I do.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
I've heard nothing but good about the PX4. I handled one in a gun store and it was all I could do not to buy it. The only reason I didn't is because I wouldn't have a holster to carry it in.

For me, the gun fit like a custom-made glove. The DA trigger was far better than most stock guns, and the SA was great.

I'm wondering how the rotating bbl is going to hold up, but I've heard no complaints.

Ugly? You think this is ugly? Well, maybe a little.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I went with the PX4. Both it and the Sig 226 felt great in my hands, but the PX4 sold me with the reversible magazine release. Yes, I'm one of those spawns of the devil, a left handed person.

Anyways, shot 150 rounds through it at the range this morning and gonna put another 100 through it tomorrow (I so love the cheapness of 9mm ammo). No jams, very accurate, and a very very nice trigger pull.

I guess I'll throw another post up after I clean it tomorrow to go into how difficult that is.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Glad you like the gun - love mine but - heck I must have one of the rogue triggers - it is far from smooth and I keep meaning to sort it out - tho not too bad to get used to.

I call the looks ''Buck Rogers'' but once in hand that is unimportant as for me the whole feel and ergonomics work so well.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Sammy....if you haven't done so already, the Beretta Forum has a number of reviews already of the Px4.

I fired one....it's a sweet shooter; accurate, light recoiling and slick handling. I don't like the safety...it's too "unobtrusive" for me, as such, I can't reliably or quickly "off-safe" the gun. If I were to buy one (and if I did, it would be in .45 ACP or 357 SIG), I'd get a Type "G" model (out later this year or early next...but I think for LEO's only) or keep the Px4 Type "F" off-safe.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
srfl said:
Sammy....if you haven't done so already, the Beretta Forum has a number of reviews already of the Px4.

I fired one....it's a sweet shooter; accurate, light recoiling and slick handling. I don't like the safety...it's too "unobtrusive" for me, as such, I can't reliably or quickly "off-safe" the gun. If I were to buy one (and if I did, it would be in .45 ACP or 357 SIG), I'd get a Type "G" model (out later this year or early next...but I think for LEO's only) or keep the Px4 Type "F" off-safe.
Hahaha, I was looking for reviews of it all over the Internet for like the last week and a half and I never once thought to check the Beretta forums. At least my impulse worked out this time.

I don't mind the safety much at all, but I could see where it'd could possibly be an issue. I'm still just so excited that I can reverse the magazine release, while having a handgun that's performance is making me very happy.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Go to David Olhasso's Px4 web page http://www.olhasso.com/beretta/px4.htm. He sells parts for that gun (the limited parts that are available) and more importantly....he sells a 20 round extended mag for it and a floor plate and internals to retrofit your current mags for 20 round capacity.

Dave is now the "go to" Beretta gunsmith guy....kinda, sorta "filling in" for Ernest Langdon after EL closed his gunsmith shop for S&W.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
srfl said:
Go to David Olhasso's Px4 web page http://www.olhasso.com/beretta/px4.htm. He sells parts for that gun (the limited parts that are available) and more importantly....he sells a 20 round extended mag for it and a floor plate and internals to retrofit your current mags for 20 round capacity.

Dave is now the "go to" Beretta gunsmith guy....kinda, sorta "filling in" for Ernest Langdon after EL closed his gunsmith shop for S&W.
Sweet, thanks for the link mate.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Ditto on the .45.... although I am thinking on going 1911 <gasp!>

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok I have a problem . I just bought a PX4 last thursday now I need a holster for it . It came with two 17 round mags and I would like to have a few more because I was at a compititon the 3d week this month and required more then 3 mags so I used my 92fs . Love the PX4 just need more accessories for it. Suggestions are appreiciated.merlin45kout

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
....hmmm....I think late this year.....I spoke to a three Beretta reps at SHOT; two of the three were absolutely clueless (read the Beretta Forum's sticky on the SHOT Show for more sad details).

What I really want to see is a compact Px4 or 90-Two....compact, full-power guns is the biggest hole these days in the Beretta lineup since they elected to kill off the Cougar (including the Mini-Cougar and 8000F Type L) and 92/96 Compacts, leaving the only compact Berettas in chambers smaller than 9mm. AAARRRRGGGHHHH!

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
merlin45k said:
Ok I have a problem . I just bought a PX4 last thursday now I need a holster for it .
Gould & Goodrich

But do a Google search. I found some links of people already making them

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, possibly stupid question here. I've never owned a pistol with anything more than a 7rd single stack magazine, so maybe I'm just not doing it right.

Anyways, I can't seem to get more than 12 rds in those 17 round magazines. I'm assuming that they are just really new and stiff, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I felt like a girl at the range yesterday and I powerlift. Any ideas?

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Load the mags let them sit a day or 2 and try to cram a couple more rounds in ..After a few more days add a few more rounds when you reach 17 let them sit a week that will make them easier to load

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bud White said:
Load the mags let them sit a day or 2 and try to cram a couple more rounds in ..After a few more days add a few more rounds when you reach 17 let them sit a week that will make them easier to load

Awesome, thanks for the help. Only other high cap magazines I've used were for the M9 and M16's. Since I was in the Marine Corps all of it had been around since like 1275 anyway so it was easy to load.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts