Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just 2 questions:
1) Are these pistols reliable/well made
2) Is .380 ACP an effective round for neutralizing a threat at close range.
Thanks.

I was considering the new single stack glock or sig sauer in 9mm, but the Bersa Thunder appears to be an ideal size for concealed carry.

·
Registered
686 Posts
yes I have had the cc version for about 6 years. As far as question #2 you will get a million different opinions on that one, but I think it is. I love to carry my bersa thunder cc I have it with me today actually. it is very accurate and the warranty is really good should something happen. It was my wife's intro to 380s she liked it so much she considered buying one but instead went smaller with the LCP.
20160628_140501.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about bersa. I carry 9mm but also had a s&w bg380... Being not as accurate as I like past five yards and me being new to concealed carry I traded it for the all mighty 45 1911...too heavy and traded for a taurus 357 mag snub... Too snappy for the wife to use even with 38 rounds again traded back to a kahr cw380 she loves. With more research I believe if you do your part 380 will work. I/she alternates a good hp with a heavy flat nose fmj and practice shoot until slide lock. 7 rounds in a softball size in the center of the chest should stop them.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Bersa makes a good gun, at an excellent price, .380 will do the job, but, it's kind of on the light side. I prefer 9mm or above. Bersa makes the UC Pro series in 9 40 and 45. a bit heavier, but not much bigger than the standard thunder .380 just a bit thicker. That's a DA/SA gun btw, of course so is the .380. the full size Thunder 9 High capacity version is the standard police and military sidearm for much of South America. My UC model is in 40, but same frame and size as the 9, never had a problem carrying it IWB with an aliengear or with a rawdog tactical holster.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Bersa guns have a reputation for reliability. I have owned two (a .380 and a 9mm) and both shot well and reliably. don't fret too much about caliber. If it is the firearm you carry and shoot well, good for you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bersa's are well made. A 380 is ok but considered marginal. I have the UC in 9mm, going on 5 years, and about 8 to9 thousand rounds through it. Shoots every time I squeeze the trigger. I have the 22 version of the pistol and it it very well made

Bersa's get bashed because people don't know what they are, and that they are made in Argentina. They are used by their armed forces. .

Rest assured that you will have a nice pistol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bersa makes an excellent gun. The Thunder and it's older version model 85/83 are patterned after the Walther PPK series. I have the all steel model 85 with a modified Thunder 380 Plus magazine for a total of 15 rounds. I have it stuffed with Hornady XTP 90 grain hollow points. This should do the job at close range, however, I recently acquired a S&W M&P Shield 9mm for those situations where size matters. I no longer carry the Bersa. I've added the Magguts spring and follower to the Shield's 8 round magazine so it is now 9+1. There are other single stack 9's such as the Glock G43 but considering reliability, size, stopping power and price, I'd go for the Shield 9 over any 380 Auto of similar size.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
The Thunder 380 is a top notch, top quality gun for a bargain price.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
1) most underrated gun out there. Best value you can find, because it is a good, completely reliable firearm at an entry level price.

2) marginally effective. You can find 9mm in nearly the same size package that are more effective. BP9cc is a great gun too.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
1.) Yes
2.) marginal, under perfect conditions

·
Registered
908 Posts
I've shot the shield, very good gun, but, I'll stack my Bersa BP9CC up against it any day. I will say though, the trigger on the BP, while excellent is light enough that I wouldn't recommend it for inexperienced shooters. it REQUIRES a GOOD holster that covers the trigger for safety. But, I LOVE mine. carry in rawdog tactical holster every day.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
1.) yes
2.) Yes, I think it is with today's ammo. .380 is used in many countries for both military and LEO, including Argentina where Bersa is made.

That being said, I don't think my wife's Bersa Thunder is any easier to conceal than my Shield and really not that much less recoil due to the Blowback design. I shoot my Shield just as well and she shoots her smaller Sig P238 better so it stays in the safe these days for the most part.
If I'm going to have to carry a gun outside my back pocket, either OWB or IWB, it will be my Shield or RAMI. They both hold more rounds than the Bersa Thunder and while I believe .380 is an effective round, 9mm is more effective.
Nice looking, ergonomic gun though, and after the first 200 rds we haven't had an problems with it.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
815 Posts
My wife loves her Bersa. She likes the weight of it. I let her hold a previous PPS I owned, and she asked for her Bersa. She said I want a real gun. LOL, I think she just wanted an all metal firearm.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The Bersa Thunder is very reliable, and well made. The .380 ACP is considered marginal as a self defense caliber due to lack of penetration. Personally, I believe if you do your part the .380 will do its part. The Bersa Thunder is also known for accuracy because it is a blow back design. The only negative comments I read about the Bersa is it's questionable durability. Some folks claim it won't hold up to a lot of use.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Bersa Thunder is very reliable, and well made. The .380 ACP is considered marginal as a self defense caliber due to lack of penetration. Personally, I believe if you do your part the .380 will do its part. The Bersa Thunder is also known for accuracy because it is a blow back design. The only negative comments I read about the Bersa is it's questionable durability. Some folks claim it won't hold up to a lot of use.
I have put 1000s of rounds through my thunder cc, no problems. so i don't know what is considered durable but mine sure is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts