Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your alls opinion on the best compact carry 1911 for around $500. This would have to be quality, warranty, looks, and handleing.

·
Administrator
21,191 Posts
Whats your alls opinion on the best compact carry 1911 for around $500. This would have to be quality, warranty, looks, and handleing.
For a $500 Compact, your choices are Rock Island, Rock Island, and Rock Island, go up another $150 and you can get into used Colts and Kimbers.

If you can find one, you can probably get a Springfield GI Micro for around that price, but it's poorly equipped.

*NO MATTER WHAT, NO MATTER HOW CHEAP, STAY AWAY FROM LLAMA

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm of the opinion that quality costs. I don't think there's something out there that fits your requirements for quality, warranty, looks, and handling. If you're restricted to a budget of $500, then I would focus on a quality polymer piece (like a Glock) or perhaps a DA/SA piece that could also be carried in Condition 1 (like a used HK USP compact).

·
Registered
75 Posts
+1 on the Rock Island Armory - esp at that price. Look them up, very positive reviews and comments.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since you only specify 1911 style, and do not specify caliber, you might consider the new SIG P238, 1911 style in .380 ACP (SA, although no grip safety). Prices for these are right around $500.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Since you only specify 1911 style, and do not specify caliber, you might consider the new SIG P238, 1911 style in .380 ACP (SA, although no grip safety). Prices for these are right around $500.
I’m not even a 1911 guy and I know that a .380 1911 is sacrilege!

To the OP you have about 2 options total and I wouldn't consider a $500 1911 to be the ideal carry gun.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
How compact is "compact"? IMHO, the 1911 design operates best in barrel-lengths no shorter than 4". As for your quality 1911 on a $500 budget, it may take some pretty serious shopping to combine those two wishes. I have to agree with posts #2 & 3. You're about $150-200 shy of the goal posts. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
The SIG 238 is not a 1911
Neither is a Colt Mustang, but it's fans are quick to point to it's more capable kinfolk. Kinda' like being Shaq's short, skinny 3rd cousin.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I agree, the SIG P-238 is definitely not a 1911. I'll go even one further and refuse to consider a 9mm 1911 a 1911! :aaa:

Yeah yeah, bring it on! :rofl:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Most people don't mention it, but there is the "kit" gun that can be built from parts. Buy a frame thru a FFL and then pick up the remainder of the parts on your own. You could probably build something for $500 if you avoid high end components.

·
Administrator
21,191 Posts
Most people don't mention it, but there is the "kit" gun that can be built from parts. Buy a frame thru a FFL and then pick up the remainder of the parts on your own. You could probably build something for $500 if you avoid high end components.
Fitting will be required, even the parts labeled "Drop in" usually take some fitting and then it would have to be finished

The initial $500 + cost of the tools to make sure everything is fit correctly and refinished, he could by a Loaded Micro from Springfield.

A matched set of slide and frame from Fusion is $695. A Caspian slide is $235. A Caspian receiver from Brownells ranges from $183-$442 Even a Double Star frame runs $100, after shipping and transfer you could be up to almost $150-$200.

Further more, most compacts don't won't be drop in parts. Most major manufactures have issues with producing a compact that runs let alone a first time novice builder (assumption on my part:gah:).

Sure if you're looking for an expensive hobby a kit gun might be fun but with an ideal budget of $500, building the best compact carry 1911 for around $500. This would have to be quality, warranty, looks, and handling is out.

**I didn't list Essex arms components due to the following:

We are currently in the process of changing our machine plant location. We will be out of production until January of 2010. Please check back to the website at that time for questions, orders, and availability. Thank you.

Our new PO box is 561294 in Rockledge, FL 32956.

·
Registered
449 Posts
S&W made a 4513 model that weighed in at 28 oz. You might be able to find a new in the box for under $500. These were the 3rd generation of S&W semi-autos. Great weapon. Rock Island I agree with for the value. Good Luck!

·
Registered
829 Posts
several make a lightweight frame, it does take off about 1/2 pound. I would prefer 4" barrell commander size, I have a full size on me now SA LW. Get a good belt regardless it helps. I have heard good things about Rock Island, thoug never shot one. . I carry and will get flack, FMJ in 45, 32, or 380 (only hp's 9mm), I am not worried about overpentration, if my bullets don't hit their target the miss will hurt someone else alot more IMVHO.

I could buy a SA GI (there is a lightweight http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=12 ), and get fine performance for very near the $500. Something about a Springfield, Colt, Kimber, maybe I'm snooty.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a Springfield Armory G.I. Champion that I gave $464.00 + tax for last year. [new] They seem to have went up in price since then.

Very reliable, somewhat heavy as it is all steel. Small sights, but not unuseable, especially at most self-defense distances. Parkerized finish.

I carry FMJ in mine, and it works as a carry gun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Look at Springfield GI series. I have a Champion GI and it carries rather well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would save up a little more and get something reliable that you can be proud of but then again I went off the deep end so you may want to listen to others advice!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.