Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Check out the Cor Bon DPX in .380. The bullet is actually copper. Very good reports on the bullet in the 380 chambering. Consistent expansion and 9" penetration results. I googled some reports and also ktog.org (kel-tec users group) had multiple testings of this round. If I remember correctly, the DPX slightly outperformed the hornady critical defense rounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
I use fmj b/c of the inability of somelads to get the speed for "expansion"... just my personal thing not to mention the availibility of 380 anything right now... check out GoldenLoki.com he tests that exact gun with a variety of ammo in bal.gel.

·
Registered
160 Posts
BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

The .38SP Hornardy Critical Defense failed to expand after 4 layers of denim and the bullet design was supposed to expand after penetrating heavy clothing!

[Speer Golddot] [Corbon DPX] [Hornady Critical Defense]

(Top row = bare geletin, Bottom row = 4 layers of denim)

I load the first two rounds for my Ruger LCP with Corbon DPX and the rest with Winchester flat FMJs.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
A lot of my fellow gunshop employees carry Kel Tec P380s and all use the Gold Saber 102gr. Here in FL, though, 4 layers of denim is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Right now, as others have said, the best .380 is whatever you are lucky enough to find.

I'm glad I have my .40; and, I plan on getting some extra mags for my p22--at least it conceals, I can get ammo, and I can empty the mag at lightening speed while staying on target.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense is the best for those small guns, at least right now. I would order some from Cabela's or some place like that where you can order and they will ship when they get some. For practice, whatever you can get.

Armydad

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I use Remington Golden Saber JHP for carry. They are a 102 grain bullet and the heaviest .380 made. I decided on them after doing a little research and hearing nothing but good things about them. They perform just great in my LCP and Bersa 380CC.

For range practice I use WWB, MagTech and American Eagle, really just whatever I can find.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Corbon DPX, Hornady Critical Defense, and Remington Golden Sabre all are the best all around .380 ammo for self defense. If you have a pistol that can handle the Buffalo Bore loads, then the 90 grain jhp IMHO would be the top dog of .380 self defense ammo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.