Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is subjective but what do you folks consider the best available AK-47? To be clear I realize that it won't be select fire; I'm just talking your commercially available AKs. For my purposes I'm leaving out the AK-74, just looking for the 'best' standard 7.62x39 version. Lastly, I am excluding the Galil ACE just due to price. If that's the best then give me your second best.:wink:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Norinco 56s.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Arsenal SGL-101S.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Cugir 10/63 :grin:

Seriously, if you can find an older pre-ban Communist bloc AK, grab it. I've got a Cugir (Romanian) AK and it's amazing.

·
Registered
9,452 Posts
arsenal.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
To me its a tie all pre 1989 of course
FEG85M for the best looks
Styer Maadi as it is not nice looking but it is as close as one can get to a true Russain AKM as it was built on russian tooling with russian help

and of coruse imop the best a Polytech Legend
as it has one of the best triggers on a stock AK out there

I would add that a stock side folder type 56s would be a good runner up as a good AK ..Ditto any of the pre ban AK from China esp the GSAD imports for the cool story they have

Post ban the best would be the SAR1 AK as they are the WSAR10 but better as they took normal AK mags and the Arsenal AKs esp the SLR93 and SLR95 AK ..MAK90 would be also be on the list as a good cheep post ban AK

This is again assuming we are talking non NFA AK if we are that Nam bring back Polish milled AK would be it and only 55k lol

Reactions: TX expat

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
And frankly to me the best AK would be the Fines with there Valmet as it is a AK but better .....

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I know this is subjective but what do you folks consider the best available AK-47? To be clear I realize that it won't be select fire; I'm just talking your commercially available AKs. For my purposes I'm leaving out the AK-74, just looking for the 'best' standard 7.62x39 version. Lastly, I am excluding the Galil ACE just due to price. If that's the best then give me your second best.:wink:
Best commercial AK at an affordable price are Veprs (fmak47-11) followed by Arsenals. Nothing really special about Arsenals other than the folding stock, but most people complain about the cheap finish.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I never heard of a bad AK, so they are all good! :smile:

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to either sell or trade my HK USC .45 ACP carbine. It's a very nice gun but my priorities have changed. My original plan was to do an UMP conversion but of course that's another $1500 on top of a gun that's fairly expensive as it is. In the years since buying the HK though I wound up getting a Beretta Storm Carbine in 9mm, an AR-15 and a CZ Scorpion. All of them are cheaper to feed than my USC. If I sell it I'll get around $2100 for it but I was offered an AK and cash in trade. The AK is an absolutely mint Norinco put back into 'military condition' with traditional furniture. I'll note that I had an Norinco AK many years ago and didn't really like it but my tastes and priorities have changed in the 25+ years since I had mine (back then I was mostly a bolt gun guy).

Any love for the Norinco? What would you figure it's worth? I checked the auction sites and the going rate is around $1100 right now.

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I am going to either sell or trade my HK USC .45 ACP carbine. It's a very nice gun but my priorities have changed. My original plan was to do an UMP conversion but of course that's another $1500 on top of a gun that's fairly expensive as it is. In the years since buying the HK though I wound up getting a Beretta Storm Carbine in 9mm, an AR-15 and a CZ Scorpion. All of them are cheaper to feed than my USC. If I sell it I'll get around $2100 for it but I was offered an AK and cash in trade. The AK is an absolutely mint Norinco put back into 'military condition' with traditional furniture. I'll note that I had an Norinco AK many years ago and didn't really like it but my tastes and priorities have changed in the 25+ years since I had mine (back then I was mostly a bolt gun guy).

Any love for the Norinco? What would you figure it's worth? I checked the auction sites and the going rate is around $1100 right now.

NO

Look at Phrase in bold ..If that is what I think it is means then that is a post 1989 AK converted back to pre ban ..Meaning 922r etc etc etc all that crap ..So 10-1 a MAK90 or something like that ....Now a mak90 stock BINB you will be lucky to get 800 maybe 900 for ..Firg 300-400 max for a proper conversion with 922r parts ie stock etc etc ..Now if a milled gun then yes they are worth more say 800-900 but more tricky to converted due to stock cut and a lot got butchered bad .

The only AK I would trade the USC for is a Poltech legand they are around 2-3k now .. Or a GSAD or Clayco again nearing 2k on them ...A side folding red type 56 AK again hit about 2k ..Ditto a rarer Galil stock type 56 that is near 3k

Do not trade that for a post ban re done mak90 or such unless a lot of cash with it min I would say of 800 ..And the worry also would be who did the work etc on it ..What was done for 922r was the trigger lost ..If the trigger is not the org eh not worth it ..And if all that was done was add a stock again not worth it ..I say that as you have to do a bit of work to put a proper gas block and front sight post on them that if bubba did it is not fun

Now if I miss understood you and you mean a proper pre ban type56s then yes around 1k for it ..If it is org and un butchered ..Make darn sure of the markings though converted ones look a lot like the real deal ... Also note very few pre ban china AK have scope rails on them save the Milled legand match guns so if it has a side ride or scope rail then someone reallllly butchered it up bad to do it ..I have seen scrwed to welded all make the gun near worth less and pretty messed up

Also if a 5.56 gun again run unless at min 4-8 mags with it as mags are around 50-100 a pop now ( ask me how I know that ) and they are worth less as no one wants the 556 model due to lack of scope mount and the mag mess

If you can post pics and me or someone here might be see what has been done

I have handled real nice MAK90 rifles that look just like type 56s ..Great for truck range gun but for a collector still a post ban converted gun that is under 922r

A true ban like a 56s will hold up ..As I dont see the three different trade bans on china going anywhere

Now dont get me wrong the MAK90 guns are very very good guns ..Good barrels good triggers but it is a sporter gun no threading on barrel no bayo lug some could not even take normal stocks ..Mind you a great shooter etc

I like Norinco guns a lot ditto Polytech but I would not trade a USC for a MAK90 as you can get a beater MAK90 for like 650-700 ..During all the painc I saw them still only hitting 800 or so and that was primo shape

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The gun is nhm-90 in fantastic condition. I have some very high res pics, it's a beautiful gun. Much nicer than mine was. He's offering the nhm-90 + $1000. On the one hand I am frankly not a big fan of AKs, but on the other hand the ammo is very cheap and very effective. A few days before I listed my USC I was doing some online window shopping for AKs just seeing what is out there.

Realistically I'm probably better off just stocking up on 5.56 for my present AR or buying that BCM I have been dreaming of.

The one trade that I would do in a heartbeat would be if someone had an MR556 upper laying around.:image035:

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
The gun is nhm-90 in fantastic condition. I have some very high res pics, it's a beautiful gun. Much nicer than mine was. He's offering the nhm-90 + $1000. On the one hand I am frankly not a big fan of AKs, but on the other hand the ammo is very cheap and very effective. A few days before I listed my USC I was doing some online window shopping for AKs just seeing what is out there.

Realistically I'm probably better off just stocking up on 5.56 for my present AR or buying that BCM I have been dreaming of.

The one trade that I would do in a heartbeat would be if someone had an MR556 upper laying around.:image035:
The trade is near right I have seen the 90 and 91 go for around 600-900 .. They are a rarer version of post ban AK not really worth more just not seen as much the more normal gun is the NMH91 which is the RPK model ..Again post ban guns no lugs but many do have threading on the barrel ..

My quetion would be how far was it converted by who and what 922r parts and are the numbers matching ...Any chance you could post a pic or two

Your choice ..I have seen plenty of mr556 uppers on HKPRO and the like for sale maybe more luck there

Frankly if your hankering for a AK put what kind ie no converted pre ban only ...

If the NHM90 was converted right and proper full ie proper lug proper barrel post correct china com wood +1k and maybe a few mags you would be at a decent deal I think and a good you wont be worried to take it to the range or drop it AK ... Again the worry is what was done to converted with what and by who

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I PM'd a few pics. They were sent to me privately so I don't want to post them but do take a look.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your choice ..I have seen plenty of mr556 uppers on HKPRO and the like for sale maybe more luck there
There's the rub! I have a few cash offers for $2k or better. I could buy an MR556 upper tomorrow morning BNIB for $1800. So it's not the money, more the fun of wheeling and dealing and getting something a bit off the beaten path (at least for me).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts