Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Ruger LCR in. 357 mag. I was just wondering what .357 and .38+p ammo you guys can suggest for personal and home defense. Thanks for any input!!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135gr JHP , Product # 53921 for the 38+P and Product # 23917 for the 357. This 357 load is slightly milder than the 125 gr load and has very manageable recoil.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
My S&W 360 eats a diet of DoubleTap 357 mag 158gr bonded hp.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would probably find a very mild .357 or a nice .38+P round. Speer Gold Dot's are hard to beat.

I carry a very mild load in my .38 LCR. I chose the Horniday Critical Defense because of the quick follow up shots.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm still trying to figure that out. I picked up some Corbon 125 JHP in .38+P that i like so far. I also like the idea of the "Chicago Load", 158g SWC's. .357 seems a bit stout for the LCR.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Right now it's Remington Golden Sabers. I've tried Hornady Critical Defense .357, but at the range found they were tumbling coming out if the barrel and key holing the target.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I would probably find a very mild .357 or a nice .38+P round. Speer Gold Dot's are hard to beat.

I carry a very mild load in my .38 LCR. I chose the Horniday Critical Defense because of the quick follow up shots.
Agreed.....I might also add some 110 grainers by Federal, Remington, or even Winchester if you can find them in 357 Magnum. In the 38 Special flavor, I would likely recommend the 158 grain semi-wadcutter hollow point +P. From a short barrel these 38's expand reliably and look like a rattlesnakes jaws opening.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I really like the .38+p low flash low smoke from buffalo bore
Buffalo Bore is another GOOD choice in the 38+P load. Smokin' little buggers......

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Critical Defense .

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am also a fan of the 158grn +p lead hollow points.

The slower velocities from a snubby means less reliable expansion so an all lead design makes sense. I do like the Gold Dot +p grn load too. The gel tests show very good expansion and weight retention.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Most studies, and in field evidence, shows the 125 gr is the most effective in .357's. Not the 158 gr.

HST , Hydro-shok, Critical defense, etc. all good.

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
Despite the studies, I like heavier bullets so something featuring the 158 grain bullet would be my choice if I regularly carried a .357 Magnum snub.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Whoever had the post of the police officer who went to school became the medical examiner for 20 years in a big city should post it here. He examined hundreds of shooting victims and described the bullets used and damage done long entertaining post. Bottom line was human bodies react much different than gel and he carries a .45 the way he put it big an slow the way to go left all the energy in the body bigger wound cavities more bone damage bone splintering which caused more damage. Great post

1 - 20 of 21 Posts