Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread about my new Shield 45. Someone suggested that I should get some Golden Saber 185 grain +p or some Corbon 185 grain +P. I went and checked all of my 45 ammo and all of my target and self defense ammo is 230 grain. I wanted to get a little more input from you short barrel 45 carriers are using. I know there are a bunch of compact Glock guys, 1911 Officer model guys and Shield guys on here. What are you guys using for self defense rounds and why. Thanks a ton.

I tried the search feature and this is what I got.....
....connection to sphinx03:3313 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I carry a Kimber SIS Ultra (3.5" 1911) 90% of the time. There's tons of research that's been done and there's hundreds of differing opinions as to what's "best" and all have a valid points. What is your mental scenario where you have to use your SD gun? Does it involve a SF unit wearing body armor or some nut-job BG?

I've seen what a well placed standard military .45 FMJ does to a human. It's not pretty, but it is absolutely effective. Personally, I think that there's too much hyperbole over the special SD rounds on the market. A good FMJ or JHP from a reputable manufacturer will get the job done...unless your mental SD scenario involves the Spetsnaz.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Gold Dot, Golden Saber, HST, PDX, it's all good.

When I carry my XDs 45, it's loaded with 230gr Golden sabers.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
HST has a short barrel 45acp load I would use that

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I tend to lean toward heavy for caliber bullet weights especially in shorter barrels. I carry 147 standard pressure in my 3" 9mm and 158 in my 2" 38 special, 100 grain in the little 380 pocket gun and my 45 was always stoked with 230's. I know that in recent years velocity has kind of taken on a life of its own when it comes to handgun rounds. I really think it is secondary until you get up to rifle speeds. If I was going to lighten up a 38 special to 110 grains to gain control I would just switch to the 380 for more rounds in a flatter package. I honestly believe +P is mostly over rated although designers are making bullets to more specific barrel lengths and speed for optimum performance with some good success. If you look at ballistic testing it often has less penetration than standard velocity with only slightly ,if any, greater expansion. A very fast bullet from a short barrel also has a very short dwell time so you lose the advertised speed more so than a slower heavy bullet. I believe testing bears this out. Physics is pretty constant in the fact that heavy will go deeper than fast at handgun velocities. I would rather have a 230 grain bullet going 950 than a 185 going 1100fps. At the end of the day penetration is mandatory and expansion is a nice extra if you drive the bullet deep enough for expansion to even matter much.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Speer Gold Dot makes a 200 grain +P JHP load, #53969, that has gotten some mixed reviews over the years since its introduction, but it has also managed some good reviews in shorter barrels. Might be worth checking it out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I carry Ruger ARX on my Colt Combat Commander 4.25" series 70. The light and fat 118 grs. is sizzling at 1300+ fps yielding 500+ ft.lbs. Just a hit on an arm and a leg is surely an amputation. A near miss will definitely persuade the BG to beat feet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
with my XDM 3.8C I use Federal HST LE 45 ACP AUTO Ammo 230 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point and/or Speer Gold Dot 230. I have not tried their short barrel
rounds yet but I like the HST rounds best so far. (I tried the Golden Sabers too)

·
Administrator
144,144 Posts
Whatever you ultimately decide on, make certain that you run enough of it through your carry gun to be sure that it feeds, fires, and ejects.
And test in the actual magazine that you'll have in your firearm and spare magazine.

My only other suggestion would be to select carry ammo in Nickel plated cartridge cases especially for short barreled Semi-autos.

That would be for the purpose of friction reduction out of a fully stoked magazine. :yup:

Shorter barrel = shorter slide and well, the rest should be self explanatory.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Take some time and study this chart, with pictures. Lucky Gunner has done a very detailed, well-run ballistics test of a lot of available defense ammo in 9, 40, and 45, using popular pistols with short barrels.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

My shortest .45auto barrel is the 3.6" barrel in my Glock 30

I often carry 230 gr Ranger T, or HST 230 gr in my G30, G21SF, M&P45C, 1911 Compacts, Commanders, and Government models.

Remington 185 gr Golden Saber +P would be another excellent load in a short-barrel .45.

And, I really like Hornady's 200 gr XTP +P and 230 gr XTP +P loads, especially, for their deep penetration. These would be good "woods" loads and also great if you prefer deeper penetration vs. wide expansion. (Many people favor reliably deep penetration over wide expansion.)

All of these loads that I've mentioned are good performers from a 3.6" barrel.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
G30 is a great gun. I've had a few and they seemed to be the most accurate of the various glocks I've owned. Excellent choice in 45 double stack
Glock nines are excellent pistols, but I don't give mine much use. My favorite Glocks are the .45s and the 10mm. You're right, the G30 is a very accurate pistol and enjoyable to shoot. 10+1=11 capacity isn't bad either, for a relative small (but stout) pistol.

As for Glock forties, I have three, but they're comparatively harsh feeling, relative to other brands. I much prefer the M&P, P320, and PPQ forties.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Several years ago, a guy from Corbon advised me to use their 185 gr loads for my short barrel 45. Said the lighter load can reach faster speed, that the 230 gr loads can't get up to speed sufficiently.

Then I got to wondering, if I load my SB 45 with a 185 gr load, did I,in effect, just buy a 40?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts