Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were looking to stock up on ball ammo -- and that's all I'm interested in, not hollow point or anything else -- in 9mm and .45, what brands are most likely to feed and fire?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Your mileage may vary, but my Kimber TacPro II really likes CCI Blazer (aluminum case) 230gr FMJ, and the price is hard to beat. I got 2 cases from Natchez for $320 shipped when it was on sale for $6.99/box of 50.
When it goes on sale again I am buying another case or 2. The only drawback is, if you reload you're not getting brass out of the deal.

My S&W 5906 on the other hand, will digest anything I feed it. I also use the Blazer with it, at $82/case from Academy Sports.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have found PMC and Win White Box (Wally World) to both feed in any gun that I have tried it in. This is in 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP and .223 (PMC only, WWB is too expensive for plinking ammo, Wolf does fine in my AR15s ONLY).

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
9mm Fed American Eagle seems fair for price and function.

45acp - hmmm - WWB mostly and that works OK.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have thousands of rounds of Wolf in .45 and 9mm.

All my weapons digest it without complaint and it goes where I want.

I'd use Blazer in 9mm if it ejected reliably from blowback carbines, ditto on the .45 with the Thompson.

·
Registered
275 Posts
sarhog said:
Your mileage may vary, but my Kimber TacPro II really likes CCI Blazer (aluminum case) 230gr FMJ, and the price is hard to beat. I got 2 cases from Natchez for $320 shipped when it was on sale for $6.99/box of 50.
When it goes on sale again I am buying another case or 2. The only drawback is, if you reload you're not getting brass out of the deal.

My S&W 5906 on the other hand, will digest anything I feed it. I also use the Blazer with it, at $82/case from Academy Sports.

Good luck. :)
MAN, my 5906 is as finickey as Oprah off her diet....It will NOT take UMC or WIN 115 FMJ's....I have to feed it Wolf! I wonder why that is?

·
Registered
940 Posts
The 5906 I play with at the shop eats anything as well.

I'd consider replacing the recoil spring, but it may frankly just be a gun that doesn't like reduced-power ammo.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Wolf or WallyWorld Winchester. Bothe inexpensive and reliable.

Or you can reload.

·
Registered
304 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts