Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's,
Had a friend come to me with a question I wasn't sure about, but told him I knew some people that could help.
He wanted a few options on a good over/under.
I don't think he has thousands to spend so looking for a few good choices that are good buys. Thanks

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
A standard field grade Browning Citori would be a fine upland bird gun. It will hold its value and not cost an arm and a leg to purchase. I'm sure there are other less expensive O/U's out there but remember, you get what you pay for. I own 2 Citori's and absolutely love them. They have increased in value twofold since I bought them in the '80s.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Look at the Ruger Red Labels. I wish I could justify buying one.

:wave:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Now we're talking... I love to discuss bird guns. One thing to remember is that doubles, be it sxs or o/u cost more than a pump or auto. Even a lower end one will cost right around a grand.
The Browning's are really good guns (OK, awesome), but will cost some. CZ has a really nice line of O/U made by Huglo (pronounced Hoo-Lou)in Turkey. Some will say that the Turk guns are junk, but it seems as if the ones put out by CZ are actually pretty nice. CZ has a hell of a reputation to keep up, so I doubt they would put their name on junk. I just bought a 20ga auto from them, and while its no Beretta, I like the gun for the purpose intended.
Anyway, their line runs from about 7-800 on up and is of good quality.

My second choice in the "right around a grand" range would be a Red Label. I have one of those as well, and its been a good gun. Its a little heavy for an upland gun... but its a Ruger, and nobody says tanks are supposed to be light.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good line up for him to start with.
SIXTO gunbroker had a CZ for over 2k and a few for 1k.
It looks like he could get a Ruger or Browning within 1000 to 1500.
Those Brownings look nice.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I had a CZ Ringneck SxS for 2-3 years and loved the gun. Very well made, and all of my shooting buddies were great with it... just not me. I tried for three dove seasons to make it work for me and ended up trading it last October for a Beretta Storm Carbine. I'll have to go back to my old Beretta AL2 for dove season...wait, it IS dove season.... FOUR DAY HUNT IN WEST TEXAS NEXT WEEK :danceban:

Quality for price is definately there in the CZ line, and they do make a great looking O/U as well as the SxS... can be had for under the $1k price range.

The Browning Citori is definately a great gun, as well as the Ruger, but may be budget busters for some folks.

surv

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
One of my O/Us is a CZ Mallard........great gun, double triggers, extractors instead of ejectors (more expensive guns will have ejectors & single selectable trigger).

This is a gun I use often & it's not too expensive to worry about dinging it in the field....

Can be had for around $500-$600....
CZ-USA -> MALLARD 104 A

Ruger Red Labels can be had for around $1000-$1500.
Brownings $1200+
Berettas $1700+
....etc....

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Ok, I am by no means an expert of field type shotguns. I like them, and have shot a few of them, but thats about as far as I go. That being said last time I was home on leave I took out my Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U, and my friend took out his Stoeger Condor. The Mossy felt a lot better, and swung a lot better, and we both broke more clays with it.

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Im sure there are a lot of guns that are better and prettier, but for occasional use and not too much cash, that one works for me.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
That's a good line up for him to start with.
SIXTO gunbroker had a CZ for over 2k and a few for 1k.
It looks like he could get a Ruger or Browning within 1000 to 1500.
Those Brownings look nice.
The Mallard's MSRP is $562.

The Redhead is $1000.

The Canvasback is $819.

They go up from there. If it were me looking for an entry level O/U, I'd buy the Canvasback.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Just one warning about the Stoeger....The barrel metal is VERY SOFT. When I was looking at them at Gander Mountain I found several of them had dents in the barrel. They gotten them just by being handled by customers in the store!

The Mossberg Silver Reserve are a little better & you can get them with another set of barrels for the next gauge....(12ga & 20.....or 20ga & .410). They aren't as well made as the CZs but seem to be a good value.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The browning will never disappoint....they are first rate. I would probably listen to sixto...he seems to be very passionate about his bird guns.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a stoeger SxS and it has been fun, I do not shoot competitively or anything, just want my shotguns to throw shot reasonably well and it does. I have my eye on the O/U and the coach gun. I got mine a few years ago for 250 at Dicks Sporting goods. Found a hi vis sight and recoil pad on clearance at wlamart and got those addidtions for 10 bucks total. I have friends who take their skeet and birds very serious and they shoot some awesome benelli's and berretta's but for me I'd spend that money on a nice AR a couple 1911's or any 6 other handguns.

Only recommendation I have is for SD get the auto shell extractors... for clays and such I don't mind pulling shells, easier to colect that way!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input guys, he picked up a Browning yesterday.
He went in to look ay a Ruger for $1100 and walked out $1400 lighter.
He said he could'nt see paying a grand for the Ruger after he held the Browning.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, he picked up a Browning yesterday.
He went in to look ay a Ruger for $1100 and walked out $1400 lighter.
He said he could'nt see paying a grand for the Ruger after he held the Browning.
Hahaha, I'd do the same thing. The Brownings are excellent shotguns.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I dont blame him, that's why I own 2 of them. He will be happy with his purchase. :yup:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Great buy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts