Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently keep my XD Compact in the center console of my truck when I drive. This is obviously not the most quickly accessible option. So what I'm looking for are ideas for faster access with good concealment.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a method of carrying on my body while driving. I'm strictly after something that is vehicle-mounted.

I looked at the rig that wraps a belt around the seat. Two things I don't like about it:

1. I don't want to sit on a belt.

2. The gun is in plain sight when you open the door and possibly to a front seat passenger.

I also really don't like the idea of modifying/butchering the truck in any way. This will hurt resale and possibly affect the warranty. No good.

So what would you folks recommend? I want it to be well concealed but accessible and without any drilling.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DeSantis Kingston

But again....

1. I don't want to sit on a belt.

2. The gun is in plain sight when you open the door and possibly to a front seat passenger.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ohai Modular Holster

This is the setup I use. I mount the velcro to the left side of the console. I have thought about mounting it under the dash.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
Ace Car Holster sold through SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters in the products links.

Velcro holster with Velcro pad you place on your car/truck. I bought extra pads one for each car/truck. Works great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Under the Steering Wheel

I know this doesn't cover your second condition but it's actually a pretty cool idea. I'm sure you can cover it pretty easily. It looks like it will take any holster so a pouch holster might work which would conceal the gun.

http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I know this doesn't cover your second condition but it's actually a pretty cool idea. I'm sure you can cover it pretty easily. It looks like it will take any holster so a pouch holster might work which would conceal the gun.

Vehicle Handgun Mount / Vehicle Handgun Mounts / Vehicle Handgun Holster Mount / Universal Steering Wheel Handgun Mount - Gum Creek Customs, LLC
Now that's pretty slick. My only concern would be that you have to make an obvious reach for it unless you are in a Smart Car or something similar.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you considered an OWB or IWB cross-draw (concealed)? If one was actually carjacked, or otherwise threatened inside a vehicle, a quick exit may be necessary (or you could be physically pulled out), I'd prefer to have the weapon come with me and not be trying to grab for it on my way out.

Gun in car is great, gun in car while you're being pulled out is not only useless, but could be more dangerous for you.

FIST and Andrews Leather both have products that come to mind...or a FOBUS/i-Tac/SERPA cantable paddle holster works great. Just cover with a light garment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now that's pretty slick. My only concern would be that you have to make an obvious reach for it unless you are in a Smart Car or something similar.
I guess if you drive with your seat all the way back and one arm propped up on the wheel it my be. :duh: j/k
Otherwise it looks like a quick slide of the hand right over your knees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the gum creek mount. While definitely in plain view in between your legs, the entire thing releases quickly in one simple lift of the buckle. But doesn't release until you lift...it stays put. You can very easily take it on or off and stick it in your console or wherever and it's easy to reach. I was going to go with the Kingston until I found this one. Not as much in the way, cheaper and not sitting on a strap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts