Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure which forum section this would be appropriate for so if this is the wrong area just let me know. My question today is for IWB concealed carry which postion do you all find as the best for all day comfort involving both vertical and sitting as well as easiest postion to find the best concealment for the compact size Glock pistols like the 19, 23, etc etc or any gun of similar size? My cc instructor recommended the appendix postion around 1ish o'clock maybe 2 o'clock as being the easiest atleast for him and his Glock 19 for quick draw, all day comfort, and maximum concealment which I could hardly tell he was even carrying it today under a t shirt and wearing jeans. Most of the holsters over narrowed myself down to to order and "test drive" say they are more for the 4 and 5 o'clock positions. Can holsters made for 4-5 still be used around 1-2 (10-11) or do I need to be looking at other options? Here's what I'm narrowed down to so far for reference:

Raven rcs phantom light compatible

Crossbreed light defender series

Comp-Tac CTAC holster for guns with lights

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Not sure which forum section this would be appropriate for so if this is the wrong area just let me know. My question today is for IWB concealed carry which postion do you all find as the best for all day comfort involving both vertical and sitting as well as easiest postion to find the best concealment for the compact size Glock pistols like the 19, 23, etc etc or any gun of similar size? My cc instructor recommended the appendix postion around 1ish o'clock maybe 2 o'clock as being the easiest atleast for him and his Glock 19 for quick draw, all day comfort, and maximum concealment which I could hardly tell he was even carrying it today under a t shirt and wearing jeans. Most of the holsters over narrowed myself down to to order and "test drive" say they are more for the 4 and 5 o'clock positions. Can holsters made for 4-5 still be used around 1-2 (10-11) or do I need to be looking at other options? Here's what I'm narrowed down to so far for reference:

Lot of that depends on your body type. If you are heavy or have a gut appendix carry is gonna suck. Appendix carry will be better if your holster can be adjustable for cant position as you will not want it canted too much.

I am heavy and have some gut and I found 3:30 to 4:00 o'clock IWB the most comfortable all around carry in a Comp Tac M-Tac holster. I stopped that several years ago though and now only carry OWB at 3:30 position. I was also never comfortable with a gun barrel pointed at my junk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a gut. Appendix carry no good. Only comfortable position is 3:30 for me. Anything past 3:30 I'm not comfortable with a weapon behind my body that someone can grab. I love my N82 professional holster for my Glock 26. Highly recommended. I have about 30 holsters. If I bought the n82 first then I wouldn't have bought the others.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I'm guilty of having more gut than I need to and appendix does not work well for me. However, I have a friend that has a very large belly but is able to carry comfortably in the appendix position. The difference is the way he wear his pants. He wears his pants very high on his waist, actually above his belly button and is comfortable with it. I tried it and can't stand wearing my pants like that. Anywhere from 3-5 o'clock is best for me.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I carry IWB at least 5 days a week with a hybrid style holster at the 4-4:30 position. The guns I carry are all the size of your Glocks mentioned and larger, including a G17 and G32. My EDC is a Sig P229, which is very close in size to the Glock 19/23. I'm up and down all day, and as a mechanic I'm in multiple styles of seats. I rarely find one causes me any issues.

One thing I learned quickly is that a good belt makes a huge difference not only with support, but comfort. Also, if I put my holster on out of place by just an inch either way, it makes a big difference. With any carry style, there's usually a sweet spot you have to be willing to find. I got lucky and found my preferred carry method the first time out. Others go through 3-4 types of carry before they settle on something that works for them.

Reactions: mkh and farsidefan1

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm pretty lean and still can't bring myself to appendix carry. Just can't get comfortable sitting. I wander between 3:00-4:30 depending on my mood and how I'm dressed. I've found that an untucked button up shirt will conceal almost anything. Had a female friend put her hand right on my G17 at church this weekend. I was OWB under a flannel shirt. I still don't think she knew what she had her hand on.

I started with a Raven Concealment Vanguard trigger guard holster to learn where I conceal best. I still use it for my nightstand and vehicle holster.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts

The carry position that works best for you is going to be all about you, so while everyone can tell you how they like to carry, it may not have any real application for you. All you can really do is try anything that you're interested in and go from there. Also, a lot of this is going to come down to the holster as well. A holster that works well for me may not work well for you, or the first holster you buy may not end up really cutting it. The best thing I can advise is for you to keep in mind that just about everything about carrying a firearm is probably going to be a work in progress for a fair amount of time.

All that said, on the AIWB question, I would say that if you want to have success carrying in the appendix position, you need an actual appendix holster. Your average IWB is not going to work well in AIWB. Physically, yes, you can move it there and carry that way, but a true AIWB holster has elements that make it specific to that position. If that's the way you want to carry, invest in the proper holster. I carry AIWB probably 65-70% of the time. I don't think I'd want a WML on my firearm for concealed carry in that position, but I don't honestly want one for concealed carry in any position. A G19 is big enough as it is, adding a light would be just more than I would care for. I guess if I had the hours of the vampire and spent the vast amount of my time out at night, then maybe I would feel differently. Cops working the midnight shift have a legit need for a light, I don't.

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
The best carry position varies from person to person. Personally, I have found 3:00 with a twenty-two degree forward cant to be the most comfortable and easily concealed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My full size guns go about 330-4 in either a galco king tuk or an owb and my g43 is aiwb in a tulster I believe. Magazine in left front pocket and keep a surefire micro stream clipped there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
It really is what works best for you. There is a test you can apply to help you determine which location and position works the best for your specific needs. You should be able to draw from concealment and place one shot into your target at a self-defense distance in not more than two seconds. If you are having trouble getting your gun out and doing this, you probably need to come up with another carry location/position.

Reactions: forester58

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the fast responses! My concern with 3-5 carrying position is conceal ability without it printing through just a normal control t-shirt. Appendix carry seems like it conceals better and deeper than a lot of holsters I'm seeing for 3-5 positions. Is that correct or is that just how things appear to me? Now I have a really stupid question for anyone, I see people mention on here even in this post, in other threads, and even a lot of holsters offering magazine storage is that for extra magazines or do you all carry your guns without magazines actually in the gun???

·
Registered
8 Posts
I conceal a 1911 at 330-4 but can't appendix. All depends on build and gun choice. The magazine is for an extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Its whats best for you. I don't AIWB. I can as far as doing it. I don't because of where the barrel is pointing. I have never had an accidental discharge in 50 years handling guns and don't plan too. I IWB at 3:30 to 4:00.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Like others said, what works best for you. Where the gear around your house to get used to it and test what works and what doesn't. I'm 6' and 170ish. I prefer about 3:30, 4-5 I just don't find comfortable.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
One thing that might help you is to buy a Remora or similar type "friction" holster since they are cheap and you can experiment with different positions with different cants without spending a lot on holsters you won't use. They make a model with a removable clip for about 22 dollars which you also may end up using down the road. I sometimes use mine for gun storage or transport in my lunch box.
Don't forget about access (speed of draw) in your carry search as others have stated. Complete concealment without quick access is no good.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Thanks for all the fast responses! My concern with 3-5 carrying position is conceal ability without it printing through just a normal control t-shirt. Appendix carry seems like it conceals better and deeper than a lot of holsters I'm seeing for 3-5 positions. Is that correct or is that just how things appear to me? Now I have a really stupid question for anyone, I see people mention on here even in this post, in other threads, and even a lot of holsters offering magazine storage is that for extra magazines or do you all carry your guns without magazines actually in the gun???
Remember, Kentucky allows open carry so whether or not you happen to print or if part of your holster becomes visible, it is not a crime. And frankly most all people don't even notice a printing concealed sidearm. Heck, most don't notice openly carried holstered handguns, either. Which means in your state, it is pretty much up to your own personal dictates as to what you think is best.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You will be surprised how many people NEVER see you carrying. The print is so small that it just isn't noticeable to regular people who themselves do not carry. They ain't lookin' for it.

Extra magazine storage is what the holster would have. I like my spare mag carried on the opposite side of my gun so I can get it with my off hand without having to lose grip on my firearm. This will keep the muzzle generally pointed towards my target and I don't lose the ability to continue to watch my target while I reload. Mag Holder and Alien Gear make two of the best mag carriers in my opinion.

·
Registered
165 Posts
AIWB:

Pro: Right in front so it's hard for others to try and grab your weapon, easily accessible, concealable if you have the right body type (I carry AIWB with a slight gut so I move it to 1-2 o clock.
Cons: Can be uncomfortable depending on the size/length of your firearm, pointed at your manhood (although some would argue as long as the trigger guard is not engaged there shouldnt be any accidental discharge), do need to practice dry fire and draw since it's located in a dangerous area if you prematurely fire when pointed down.

3 oclock:
Pro: Feels natural, easy access for quick draw
Cons: Depending on body type may not be concealable (my hips are bony so it prints like a mofo) although my RCS OWB is my fav holster.

Behind the back:
Pro: Most comfortable IMO
Cons: Your gun can stick out when sitting since jeans go low. I always worry my shirt isn't long enough to cover my firearm when I sit or bend over to tie my shoes.

Those are my takeaways so far. They're only my opinions but everyone's will be different. I prefer AIWB but am still looking for a good holster as some are bulky and comfortable or very concealed but is difficult to sit, move, etc. OWB definitely 3 or 4 oclock is best, but for IWB i think 4 or 5 oclock is most comfortable but AIWB is probably my favorite. Good luck in your search, honestly you just have to try out a bunch of holsters and different sized guns to see which fit your preferences and body type.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts