Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for the right holster for as while now, I wanna start carring my sp101 instead of my 5" 1911. IWB is sorta out cause I don't wanna have to buy all new pants. I was thinking either SOB or a high ride strong side holster. The only problem is I haven't been able to find a high ride belt holster for the 3" sp101 that will work for me, I can't have the barrel any lower than the top of my pocket which is like a inch below my belt. Even if I could find one that would work how would the stability of it be being it only hangs down a inch below my belt? Anyone carry one of these and if so what do you use as a holster. Thanks

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I would look at a kydex IWB holster (the kydex makes the revolvers more tolerable against the body, to me), or Mitch Rosen Leather might have something suitable. I seem to recall that he had some fairly high-riding snubbie holsters.....

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Bruce - I too do not cope with IWB and for my SP (2 1/4") found a great rig in Dallas two years ago - I'll try and find some pics for you. It was made by Jim Burke (Paris, TX) who sadly later that year passed away - heck of a shame (RIP JIM).

I used that rig heavily and became concerned re how I could replace it. So as to act in advance, I had Kevin (K&DHolsters) make me a close copy of the Burke rig ...... he made a fine job of it, and made the cant as I asked - liking as I do generous cant and in particular for the SP.

I like a hi-ride belt slide and concealment is a breeze - grips nestle nicely against lower ribs. I daresay a very similar rig could be done and just lengthened a tad to suit your barrel length. In fact Jim's original was for a 2" J frame and so my muzzle was slightly showing - but that was no bother at all.

I have to dig and find the pics for you - back soon.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Ok - here is Jim's original - after much use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is Kevin's close copy - with some nice added tooling - this appears to have exaggerated cant cos of way I was turned taking self pic!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have found these to be excellent - can't recommend this design too much for the SP. I carry SIG now all time but SP is a good option if I have to downsize.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
That is nice! Is it completely the way you turned...giving this impression?- It looks like the re-make rides with the muzzle about even with the watch-pocket.....

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Rob - yeah, I was turned a lot - awkward position as I tried to operate camera - this was before I got a remote lead!!

Here is same pic but I went back to hires original and rotated whole deal 15º and then re-cropped. Now you'll see belt appears near level and so this is the actual cant - still quite generous which was what I wanted - makes (for me) a very good draw position.

Indeed too - the base of rig is as you see siting nice and high. Love it.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P95Carry said:
This is exactly what I want, I would like the muzzle of the 3" to be where yours is. What did that holster run ya, and was it a "custom" job I realy like the color too. Is there a site I could go to where you got that? Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Bruce - yes it was a custom - in as much as Kevin had not made one until I sent him some plans from original. After that it was down to his creativity!

Ya know - I forget exact costing right now - I know Kevin was very generous on that as he didn't know if I'd like it. I'd say it would be somewhere around $50 - $60 if he did another but for heaven's sake don't quote me - that'd be up to him to decide of course. Yes the color is great - it was something I was keen to have and he delivered.

His site is http://www.kdholsters.com/ but you won't see this rig shown, tho on the homepage where it says ''custom'' - last pic bottom right - that is my rig he made me for the SIG - I have big pics of that if anyone wants to see.

I would suggest contact him - mention me and what you are after, and see what he says. I am not sure if an extra 3/4" could be absorbed with much extra height as it is already a very hi-ride profile - but I reckon even with 3/4 added to bottom of it - you'd still have a great rig.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't seem to send him a message, his site won't let me contact him, I tried 5 times, keeps saying unable to submit please make sure all fields are fill in.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hmmm - must be a prob' - OK well, drop me a PM with your email addy and I'll get in touch myself if possible and ask him to get back to you. Or give you a contact method for you to use.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
PM returned - let's know how it goes. :smile:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Kev @ KD will take care of you....he's a good guy to work with you and get you what you want.......
Shoot well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
[/QUOTE]

P95Carry,

A bueatiful holster indeed and I am an OWB wearer as well. Are you concerned with the trigger guard not being covered as much as the one from Jim did???? I, personally would like about about a half to three quarter coverage of the trigger guard to eliminate anything snagging the trigger and making a good day into a bad one.

I too have a Stainless SP-101 and carry mine in an ankle rig. Mine is hammerless.....great little gun to shoot as well.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Tex - it does not bother me to be honest.

The space available is barely enough to get a finger and there has been nothing else I could think of that would snag it. I am very ''rule 3'' oriented and after so many years have my finger out straight with the draw - it is totally automatic and so no risk there.

I daresay with a rig like this a slightly less generous cut could be made for the top profile upper left and give another 1/4 - 1/2" of cover over trigger area, if it were requested. I had thought of bobbing my hammer but have left it be and never had any snag prob's there either.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I spoke with Kevin tonight, and he said he is making a holster for another guys 3" SP101 so he can make and fit mine at the same time. So this way turnaround will only be like a week instead of 3-4, sweet. I will let yau'll know when I get it and how it is, maybe even some pics if I can figure that out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Excellent! I hope and expect that you'll like yours as much as I do mine. :smile:

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris,
What site do you use to host your pictures? I used yahoo a few times and they only stay up for about a day. Kevin said you were into bikes, I have been looking for a Harley for some time now, don't know much about them, but realy want one. I know I sat on a 883 sporster and it was way to small a bike for my likeings. I was also looking at some Yamaha V-stars, their kinda cool, decent price, just not a harley ya know.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Bruce - pic's? I use my own servers!! I have a coupla servers and several domains so - throw 'em up all the time. Probably use those more for pic storage than anything else really.!!

Maybe you could try photbucket - or one of the others - do a search on ''free image hosting'' - there are several.

After a bike eh?!! Well - I have a rice burner (Honda VTX 1300 C4) which I like a whole lot - pics on this thread - but if you want Harley info ask Tourist or one or two others who I think have hogs. The V-Stars are very nice - in fact - boatload of choices with the Jap' stuff.

Whilst the bikes are not Harley of course - they do IMO represent very good value.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts