Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
10+ rounds? 9mm? I believe that there is an active discussion, regarding the new S&W Shield Plus.

Personally, I have largely aged-out of shooting compact-gripped nines. The Glock G19x and G45, with their “orthopedic” grips, are now my best “compact” nines.

Edited to add: For reference, except for my fingers, my hands are long; size L gloves are necessary to fit my hands. My index and middle fingers are more like medium-sized, and, my ring fingers, little fingers, and thumbs are on the short side of medium. I can get a three-finger grip on some amazingly small weapons, due to my fingers being skinny, but with my deep palms, I have long appreciated full-length, square-butt grip frames. I have always shot such handguns more accurately, and, now that arthritis has progressed in my right thumb, hand, and wrist, compact-gripped handguns produce actual swelling and pain.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
My vote goes for the P365. I carry mine IWB and will occasionally carry it in the front pocket. Great little guns and I shoot them better than the 43, 43X, Shield, Shield 2.0, and Hellcat. However, the new Shield Plus does look promising and the Performance Center model my friend recently has a really nice trigger on it. The only gripe I had with it was the trigger reset was weak compared to the P365 and any Glock but you'd probably get used to it. He has offered to let me shoot it sometime and I'm sure I will take him up on that offer.

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
I like my P365XL for it's size, capacity, accuracy, and it's soft recoil. Is it going to always be the best for me?? I don't know, but it works now. Tomorrow is another day.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Hammonje Not like it matters to other what your carry but for a guy that 6-3 and 210 lb you could carry any number of full size 4" handguns in a iwb rig . Heck I'm 5-9 and 205 and my every day carry is a lw commander at 3:00 but have a m&p 4.25 40 or core 9mm too that have had carry time . We also have a s&w 669 and m&p9c if smaller is wanted . My 5-2 wife has carrys a kimber ultra 9m with 9 round mags for the last 3.5 years and a m&p9c for ,, not sure 7 . 8 or 9 years be fore that and also has a p365xl she can carry and were 65 years old with many years CC'n . I retired little handguns as a at work carry years ago and my wife has a smaller 380 she can carry in a garter belt holster when a dress is needed .

So carry what you want as it only matters to you but if you try a m&p 2.0 like maybe a sub compact 9 or compact you may not go glock again .

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Hellcat for me. Smith Shield (regular or Plus) is a goodun' too. That being said I carry my G26 a lot still.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'll use Sub Micro for my choices as its what I consider carry guns

I like the Sig P938 and the 365XL for my first choices

The Hellcat is winning me over but right now is at number three.

Nothing at all wrong with the Shields but they are a tad larger so Ill put them into number 4

I have a Kimber Micro in .380 but plan to try the 9MM so I can't rate that in yet. I'd expect it to be in the top 5

I do not think the Taurus G2c is at all a bad choice. It might not make my top 5 but it might be close if indeed cost was figured in. Its a great bargain for certain.

I have a Glock G48 that I like but I do not consider it a sub micro carry gun. Its not in my top 5 because its too large for me to carry effectively. In a belt holster it's just fine.

To be honest I pocket carry an old Seecamp 32 most often. Not sure were to rate that one as it sort of stands out in its own category. "Mouse gun" category I find a bit different and within the Sub Micro category.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The Hellcat is winning me over...
same here. just got home after fondling one at the range. couldn't shoot it, but played around with it a bit. i really like the feel of the gun, more than my 365. i gotta find one to shoot

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Lots of great choices today, but it is really hard to argue with the 365.

However, I don't own one (but we sell a lot of them)...

Reactions: j102

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Best compact carry gun FOR ME is the one that is on my hip every day, the Shadow Systems MR918. Its replaced the Glock 19 - a gun that I really like (owned 30 of them over the years).

Lots of good choices out there at this time!

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Registered
136 Posts
Trying different pistols is fun.

It's fun to research and learn. I like the anticipation and the hunt to find it. Hassling with the seller over a few bucks. Holding and examining the fit and finish. Compare it with past rivals.

You carry it a few times, a few range trips. If all goes well it earns a place.

Now, how long does this honeymoon last?
Maybe you'll have to press the "B" word into it for justifications purposes. Best, yeah that's the ticket....which one is best.?

I think of all of the fun that I would have missed out on if I had picked "The Best" on my first purchased.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts