Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am looking for a compact DA/SA double stack 9mm to fill a hole in my carry platforms between the 8 rd single stacks and the 15 rd duty size platforms. Safetyless striker guns need not apply- NO GLOCK 19!!!!!!

A few background guidelines:

- DA/SA with decocker/safety or decocker only is OK.
- Any true safeties much be ambi.
- The 10 rd double stacks are too short in the grip and do offer enough over the single stacks for consideration (like the P99ASc)

Potential candidates:

Smith Wesson 69XX series (big fan of the 3rd Gen Smiths)

Sig Sauer 228 (seems too big)

Beretta 92 FS Compact Type L (big fan of the full size 92 and my Compact Type M).

Beretta Storm Compact (15 rd) and Subcompact (13 rd)

CZ 75 D PCR Compact

Any others I missed?

I welcome your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks,

Hunter

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would a safety have to be ambidextrous on a DA/SA gun?

Why would it need a safety at all?
It does not. But if it DOES have a safety, it needs to be ambi so a left handed shooter like myself can disengage readily.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Take a look at the HK P30SK or the older P2000SK in the LEM variant for each.

Reactions: Chuck R.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Sig legion ? I have fallen in love with the gun .. I have shoot it head to head with the 228 stock and a big dif and nice gun ..Well built ...Plus you get to join a cool mall ninja club lol

I have owned 6906 and 3913 and all of them found them just not me ..Dont ask me why just never got into them

I have also had the compact Bretta good guns but for me I still like the legion a little more right now

Reactions: .XX

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If memory serves, definitely a "safetyless striker gun" like the G19, so not applicable to this thread.

I get the point about a ambi safety for lefties, but ultimately a safety on a DA/SA gun is superfluous, and really shouldn't be a consideration.

Ultimately, any well functioning 9mm with a <5" barrel and a 12-15 rd mag could qualify. One guy might say a SIG P229, another might say a Keltec P-11 with an extended mag. It's all subjective personal preference when you ask for the "best".

Personally, if I was shopping for a 4" barrel 9mm double stack, I'd be looking for a Tristar C-100 or a CPO SIG P229. In fact, the only reason I don't own a Tristar C-100 is I already have a P229.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sig P229. It's basically the same as the P228, just updated. From what I can find, the P228 is no longer in production. With a quality holster and the right cover garments, it should blend in. My only gripe about the P229 is the fat grip.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
It does not. But if it DOES have a safety, it needs to be ambi so a left handed shooter like myself can disengage readily.
Why would a safety have to be ambidextrous on a DA/SA gun?

Why would it need a safety at all?
Perhaps only lefties can gravitate your statement. Some like safeties, others not. It all has to do with personal preference. Safety aside, what if your right hand became incapacitated?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Perhaps only lefties can gravitate your statement. Some like safeties, others not. It all has to do with personal preference. Safety aside, what if your right hand became incapacitated?
There are two things being discussed here -

1. Like I said above, the DA trigger is there purely to act as a safety and negates the need for a separate safety switch. A safety on a DA/SA gun should never be used unless the gun can be carried Condition One and the user prefers that to decocked.

2. On a SAO gun, I absolutely see the need for a ambi safety (or just a left handed safety!) for left handed users. I personally practice left-handed with my righty non-ambi 1911s by moving my left thumb to the left side of the gun to switch the safety off. It's absolutely not acceptable if you are a lefty, but it works for weak hand shooting in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
There are two things being discussed here -

1. Like I said above, the DA trigger is there purely to act as a safety and negates the need for a separate safety switch. A safety on a DA/SA gun should never be used unless the gun can be carried Condition One and the user prefers that to decocked.

2. On a SAO gun, I absolutely see the need for a ambi safety (or just a left handed safety!) for left handed users. I personally practice left-handed with my righty non-ambi 1911s by moving my left thumb to the left side of the gun to switch the safety off. It's absolutely not acceptable if you are a lefty, but it works for weak hand shooting in a pinch.
I carry my HK P30 DA/SA cocked and locked. Any more questions? It is also 100% ambi.

·
Super Moderator
19,873 Posts
I'd skip the CZ75D compact in favor of the basic, non-decocker model. That gives you true SA cocked-and-locked capability or trigger cocking from an intercept notch, a tick short of full hammer-down, and you, the shooter, get to choose.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
My nod would go to either a HK USP Compact/P2000, or a P30sk with USPc/P2k 13rd magazines.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I'd skip the CZ75D compact in favor of the basic, non-decocker model. That gives you true SA cocked-and-locked capability or trigger cocking from an intercept notch, a tick short of full hammer-down, and you, the shooter, get to choose.
If he doesn't mind the rail, a CZ P01 compact Omega? Better trigger and he will have the option to switch between an ambi safety or decocker whenever he feels the need. There are 14 round flush and 16 round extended mags...

IMG_1014.jpg
Here's mine Urban Grey, night sights, threaded barrel, Omega trigger, 16+1, decocker installed.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
HK P2000 V3 which is a DA/SA. (13+1)

Then when you get tired of DA/SA you can spend a $100 for parts and convert it to LEM V1 which IMHO is one of the best defensive triggers going.

The USP Compact in V1 would sort of meet your requirements, DA/SA, but the de-cocker also functions as a safety, and wouldn't be truly ambi IF carried C&L. You can get an ambi control lever for about $70. You also could look for a USPC V3 which is a DA/SA "no safety" and the lever performs only the de-cocking function or convert a V1 IF you wanted to go that route. And just like with the P2000, once you get tired of the DA/SA you can convert it to an LEM.

Between the two I prefer the P2000; the interchangeable backstraps are nice, I like the streamlined look (USP control levers are huge), and it has a standard rail. I even like the de-cocker on the rear of the slide. The P2000 is a little more lefty friendly with ambi slide stops, both have "Euro" ambi mag releases on the trigger guard.

Chuck

Added: CDNN has a sale on HK P2000 V3's right now for $499.99.......never seen them this low, might just pick one up as a spare.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/p2000-9mm-da-sa-v3-2-13.html?___SID=U

·
Registered
822 Posts
Greetings,

I am looking for a compact DA/SA double stack 9mm to fill a hole in my carry platforms between the 8 rd single stacks and the 15 rd duty size platforms. Safetyless striker guns need not apply- NO GLOCK 19!!!!!!

A few background guidelines:

- DA/SA with decocker/safety or decocker only is OK.
- Any true safeties much be ambi.
- The 10 rd double stacks are too short in the grip and do offer enough over the single stacks for consideration (like the P99ASc)

Potential candidates:

Smith Wesson 69XX series (big fan of the 3rd Gen Smiths)

Sig Sauer 228 (seems too big)

Beretta 92 FS Compact Type L (big fan of the full size 92 and my Compact Type M).

Beretta Storm Compact (15 rd) and Subcompact (13 rd)

CZ 75 D PCR Compact

Any others I missed?

I welcome your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks,

Hunter
My SR9c being a 10rd fits my hand perfectly, and I have big hands. It also comes with a full size 17rd mag if needed. Just thought I would throw it out there, since it does have ambi safeties. Its a great shooter as well.

Oh wait..... I think the SR9c is S/A only.

Anyhow, check out the CZ-P07. I used to own one. Great gun that shot very well. It was just a bit to big to be truly compact for me.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My Beretta Storm PX-4c .40 gets carried more than any other TDA gun.

I installed a Cougar "D" hammer spring and it has a very slick DA trigger.

You might add the CZ P09 and Sphinx SDP Compact to your list as well.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The 9mm Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact might be one you want to look at. Bersa guns are made in Argentina so they don't seem too popular where I'm at. But, this is a very reliable gun with a decent price. It comes with 2 13rd double stack mags - you can get a 17rd as well. They're easily concealed for the amount of ammo they hold.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As a Sig fan either the 229 or M11-A1 should be in your list to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts