Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase another firearm, I am very particular to Glock, but definitely don't discriminate against other makes. I was really looking at the Glock model 27 but wanted to ask opinions of other people and hear some experiences with other weapons before I make a final decision. I also like the Springfield Armory Ultra Compact. I know that a Kel-Tech is probably the smallest semi-auto pistol I could find but I fell like I am going to break those when I handle them.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,008 Posts
Seems like a 27 would be a good way to go to match your other Glock. However I find a double stack harder to conceal in the summer time, wearing less clothes.
Seems several members here ahve had 1st hand problems with the 3" 1911 guns. I opted for a 4" Champion , and have been happy with it's concealabilty.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,483 Posts
I think you may find some suggestions for a Kahr - and if you really wanted to go small with some fair punch an R9 is probably it, tho very costly.

Don't yet know enough about the new KT small 9mm but their P11 is pretty compact. Just me - but only go as small as carry limitations make you have to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,134 Posts
my vote goes to the kahr pm series as far as bang for the buck its hard to beat , tho kel tech is ( in all fairness ) coming out with a single stack that should be only a smidge bigger than the kahrs and cheaper if that " fluff and buff" stuff of almost all early kel techs dont scare ya off if ya want min size and max bang that works then a kahr or r9 is about it today tho , once you step out of that micro sub envelope there are several avable tho by many makers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
glock 36

The glock 36 is a nice gun and slim to boot. However it is not very forgiving on the hands after a long day of shooting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Sig P239 .40 it isnt as small as a Kahr but its small enough.My 9mm 239 is the most accurate out of the box ,centerfire semi auto I have ever fired!I have a couple thousand rounds through my 239 without ever having a single malfunction.Everyone is gonna have their own opinion on this subject,but I would avoid any 1911 smaller than the commander .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Kahr K series or P series! I am a little biased, but IMO Kahrs are great little pistols. They were designed from the outset for CC, not just a full size that spent too long in the dryer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Have to agree with the Kahr bunch.... love to shoot my wifes K9; heavy enough to blunt the kick but small/light
enough for an excellent ccw. Trigger pull very smooth, fit and finish is great. Only ouch I have is the rim dent it provides on extraction, some can't be reloaded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Concealed_23 said:
I am looking to purchase another firearm, I am very particular to Glock, but definitely don't discriminate against other makes. I was really looking at the Glock model 27 but wanted to ask opinions of other people and hear some experiences with other weapons before I make a final decision. I also like the Springfield Armory Ultra Compact. I know that a Kel-Tech is probably the smallest semi-auto pistol I could find but I fell like I am going to break those when I handle them.
Then get your hands on and shoot a Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro that holds 10+1 of .45acp. It is a top notch gun at a really good price. I have been carrying one daily for over a year. It has provided me many thousand rounds of tightly grouped target holes. It has functioned flawlessly and one of the most comfortable guns I have ever shot. I, personally like shooting the biggest and most accurate round I can find in my .45's and the 230gr. Federal Hydrashoks really like this gun. The trigger was a little rough out of the box but is now buttery smooth. It's easily concealed and very inexpensive. Mine was $295.00 out the door with an extra mag thrown in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,134 Posts
Tauri are great guns i have a pt145 non porch light model that i like so far , but this is out of the range of the kahrs or r9s , it is in that up a size level where good guns abound lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,868 Posts
I'm a died-in-wool Kahr fan as well with three in my collection: P9 Covert, PM9 and P45.....when Kahr comes out with a "PM45" (the gun that Justin Moon himself neither confirmed or denied would be produced when I asked him during SHOT Show '06), I may add that gun to the collection.

I just received (but haven't shot yet) a Walther P99c AS in 9mm....it's great in my hand and wonderfully compact....albeit not as much as my two Kahr 9mm's. I think it's as large (small?) as a Glock 26.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,275 Posts
I own two kimber ultra's 3'', and never had a problem with either. I also own a 4'' colt. Nothing beats a 1911. and .45 ACP carry extreme stopping power in defense situations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
tex45acp said:
Then get your hands on and shoot a Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro that holds 10+1 of .45acp. It is a top notch gun at a really good price. I have been carrying one daily for over a year. It has provided me many thousand rounds of tightly grouped target holes. It has functioned flawlessly and one of the most comfortable guns I have ever shot. I, personally like shooting the biggest and most accurate round I can find in my .45's and the 230gr. Federal Hydrashoks really like this gun. The trigger was a little rough out of the box but is now buttery smooth. It's easily concealed and very inexpensive. Mine was $295.00 out the door with an extra mag thrown in.
+ 1
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,979 Posts
All of the suggestions above appear great (in my very limited experience). You could also look at the Skyy CPX-1 (9mm) (my wife and I have two and like them now - but that's based on limited shooting so far) - larger than the R9 and Kahr's, about the same as the Kel-Tec. They're less expensive than the others. They are made by a new company in FL with good customer service but a limited line of guns. They only have a 9mm and are adding a 380 as well as a slightly smaller 9mm this summer . The risk, however, is a gun with little reputation built by a new company with those attendant risks. I have posted some range reports on this site on the Skyy.

We both have 9mm Glocks (a G17 and G26), and wanted to keep our "ammo platform" the same.

You'll get plenty of good ideas here! Good luck with your selection, and keep us posted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,087 Posts
On duty I carry a Glock 27 as a backup to my Glock 22. Most days I carry the Glock 27 as the primary weapon with the Glock 22 used as the raid gun only. But no matter which Glock I have I also have a Kel-Tec P-3AT 380 auto somewhere on me with one reload. It took me several days to make the Kel-Tec work, but after several hundred rounds and some other work this gun is a good shooter. Weekends I use the 380 as my primary gun. Yes I know that some peoples make fun of the 380 auto, but I don’t see any one volunteering to get shot by one. A 380 auto in hand is better than two .45’s back home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,807 Posts
I have to agree with the suggestion of the Taurus Millennium Pro models. I have the .40 and have been carrying it everyday recently. It is no problem. I'm sure the 9mm or 45 in the same pistol would be as easy to carry. I am please with the quality and with the shooting of the PT-140. I am not as accurate with it as I am with my Makarov, but neither am I as well acquainted. The Mak has been with me longer and fired more. I think that I am as accurate now with the PT-140 as I was initially with the Mak.

I see that one of the writers lists a Bersa as one of his pistols. I have found them to be very good firearms. Chris (P95Carry) has mentioned often that his wife and daughter have the .380 model. Bersa makes more powerful versions and they are easy to carry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I totally agree with the Taurus Millenium Pro 145. I've owned one for over two years, lost count of the rounds I've put through it (HP's hardball, facory, reloads) and NEVER had a malfunction of any kind. It's my primary carry weapon.

Very reliable, easy to conceal, 10+1 capacity of .45ACP, and just plain FUN to shoot.

What's not to love?

Take care.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
I have to agree with BudWhite. I have a Glock29 10mm and for me it prvides the best concealibility with the punch of the 10mm round
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,275 Posts
i agree

frankmako said:
On duty I carry a Glock 27 as a backup to my Glock 22. Most days I carry the Glock 27 as the primary weapon with the Glock 22 used as the raid gun only. But no matter which Glock I have I also have a Kel-Tec P-3AT 380 auto somewhere on me with one reload. It took me several days to make the Kel-Tec work, but after several hundred rounds and some other work this gun is a good shooter. Weekends I use the 380 as my primary gun. Yes I know that some peoples make fun of the 380 auto, but I don’t see any one volunteering to get shot by one. A 380 auto in hand is better than two .45’s back home.
i know I stated earlier about the kimber ultra carry. But I confess, I do always have a P3at on me, even if I carry the .45. Still winter here in Michigan, and I keep the .380 in the inside pocket of my leather coat. SO I guess frankmako is right on two things
1. it is always somewhere on me
2. I don't want to got shot by one.

Alot of comments on the pt145. I have a pt 140 and do really like the gun and never had problems. unfortunately, it does get alot of shelf time. I wish now that I would have bought the pt145.
anyone want to trade??:image035:
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top