Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
After 9 years of carrying primarily Glocks, I bought a Sig M11-A1 as a challenge to myself to see if I could learn to shoot DA/SA. I wanted to know how to shoot a variety of platforms. To my surprise, I really liked the pistol and could shoot it well enough that I was comfortable carrying it. I had Sig perform what they call an "action enhancement" on it and it shot even better. I then bought a Sig P229 Legion - slightly longer and heavier pistol. I go back and forth between these two pistols 90% of the time.

Even though both these pistols are fat, for some reason I cannot explain, I get a very secure grip on both of these. I carry both AIWB in JM Custom Kydex holsters and a Nexbelt with no discomfort and don't ever notice the weight.

I also purchased a Sig P225-A1 which operates identically to the P229 but is a single stack. I figure that will be my "old man" pistol when I get a bit more feeble...

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Best DA/SA for me personally? How about no. Glock or 1911 - consistent trigger.
If I had to carry a DA/SA - Beretta 92 because I have one.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am going to be a bit biased as I am a big Beretta fan. I only have the full sized versions of the PX4 and 92 but if I could only have one gun it would be the 92 all day everyday. I carried the PX4 in a cross breed holster for many years then moved to smaller single stack for lighter easier concealment as I am here on the edge of the sun in Texas. I am drawn to the PX4 compact but have become very comfortable with my Glock 43X and XDS 9mm.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have limited experience with DA/SA pistols, and all of them have been Sigs. So I can’t speak to the Berettas, although the LTT 92 line does look attractive.

Of my DA/SA Sigs, if I were to carry one, it would be my p229 Legion 9mm. Great trigger, sights, and overall ergonomics.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I would nominate the 3913/3914 as one of the better choices for size efficient DA/SA platforms. I utilize a 3914 that I had retrofitted with a spurred hammer and a NYPD 3914DAO, but the "normal" spurrless DA/SA configuration is outstanding.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I was obviously kidding about these being the best, but they are pretty damn good DA/SA options worth considering in my opinion.
View attachment 334045
lol, I love your posts man. Here is my bonus request for you though. Do a "KSGunGuy" post and tell us which you would choose "If you could only have one" and why. 🤣

THAT would be entertaining to read! 😅

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
If cost were an issue (it is for me), I have heard great things about the EAA Witness P series and the Bersa TP series. If I find either one in a gun store and like the feel, I will probably buy one.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
My Sig 229 (Enhanced Elite) in .357 Sig. It was my primary duty weapon. I LIKE the long double action first round (don't want to shoot somebody that really doesn't need shooting) but I ALSO like the Short Reset Trigger...its almost like the trigger on a 1911. (If I had to pull the trigger on that first round, quick and accurate follow up shots are nice).

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
If the op hadn’t said “pistol” the best da/sa is any of the S&W j or k frame revolvers. Barring that either a 6906 or it’s blued cousin. Best pistol imo. Wish I’d never sold mine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
lol, I love your posts man. Here is my bonus request for you though. Do a "KSGunGuy" post and tell us which you would choose "If you could only have one" and why. 🤣

THAT would be entertaining to read! 😅
Thanks man. I actually did one in another forum awhile ago, but it was before they were both finished. Maybe I'll post a comparison soon.

Reactions: QuickQuestionAnon

·
Registered
984 Posts
I only have experience with the Berettas and mine is a 92 - I think it is a great weapon. I have always wanted a 92 Compact until my son-in-law picked up a Beretta Storm. That could be my next purchase. It is a very good shooter. Otherwise, my pick would be a SIG M11-A1. No experience with the CZ.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Between 1990-2005 my primary carry guns were DA/SA SIG pistols, both as duty (to include plain clothes assignment) and off-duty.

The "best" DA/SA pistol that I have carried on duty was either my SIG P226 in 9mm (EXTREEMLY reliable gun, over 15,000 rounds with 0 malfunctions) or my SIG P220 (this gun fit my hands well, I shot it good, it was VERY accurate, but not as reliable as my 226 9mm - our agency had to switch carry ammo several times with our 220s)

The "best" DA/SA pistol that I carried off duty was my SIG P239 9mm. Again a VERY reliable gun, a VERY shoot-able gun, the grip fit my hand REALLY well, I was fine with an 8+1 capacity and a spare 8 round mag.

If I had to choose only one, it would be the P239 9mm. I liked those guns.

In 2005 I sold off my SIGs and converted to the Glock 19, it has been my EDC since then (except for a year with the Walther PPS/M2 and a year with the Glock 43). Earlier this year, I sold off the last couple of 19s that I had and switched to the Shadow Systems MR918.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I only have two SA/DA guns. A Sig 239 and a Sig 226. Out of those two I would go with the 239, but it is far from the best due to low capacity. I know Sig now has out some handguns that are about the same size as the 239, with higher capacity. I like Sigs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm just learning about the S&W Gen 1,2 and 3 Wonder Nines with my recently acquired 469.
A 12 rd magazine with the ability to fit 5900 series magazines. A decocker and a safety on a hammer fired gun that's compact enough to carry in my pocket.
I'm really impressed with this little pistol.

Ok, I had a SIG p-239 with their fancy DAO trigger and it sure was pretty, very accurate too.
I got really P.O.'ed when I learned that I couldn't just act like a normal person and go out there and buy magazines for it.
I had to know some secret handshake and pay up to a c-note apiece for them. Then I learned that when SIG drops a model they drop it like a bad habit and all of the factory support goes down the tube.
I let the P239 go in trade for a nice Model 64 S&W revolver.
I still have a SIG 1911 but they can keep all of their tarted up paint jobs for somebody who don't know no better.

Metal frame, hammer fired, manual safeties, heavy carry type trigger pulls except for the 1911 with multiple safety systems.
I've never owned a CZ but I have owned a couple of Berettas and I would carry one if I still had it.
Striker fired plastic guns don't work for me.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts