Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
For me the SIG P229 is just about the perfect DA/SA. I have both the .40 and 9mm versions and they are awesome pistols if DA/SA is your thing. SIG P226 is sweet too.

P239 was nice but like Big Biscuit I traded mine off even for a LNIB GLOCK 34 w/ accessories when SIG D/C’ed them. Biscuit is correct in the fact that accessories immediately dried up for them.

Beretta 92F served me well as a young Narcotics agent prior to us switching to GLOCKs. So did S&W DA/SA autos.

I mostly carry strikers today. But I wouldn’t cry if DA/SA was all we had today. Hell, if the playing field were level, I’d actually prefer a DA revolver ... .357 Magnum and K Framed, of course !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
WOW..this is a great read for me. I am, at this exact time, trying to compare 'metal framed,hammer fired DA/SA' for my next purchase. I'm going to learn how to confidently handle a DA/SA. Tried many times before giving up, always gave up because that is the way I am. And I shoot REVOLVERS mostly. Not now, I'm serious. Not going to be for edc, but just for 'special' times. I have Beretta 92G Elite LTT (never shoot it) but looking at compacts. Lokks like it is between a couple of Sigs, M11A1 or P225A1. ruled out, for different reasons the P-01, 92x compact, P239 & railed P229's. Can't wait to get started. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my VP9SK. It’s striker fired, but it got me looking hard at the P30SK. I ended up going smaller (Hellcat) for EDC but I’m still intrigued with the P30SK for carry. Doesn’t hurt that it shares mags with my VP9SK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Between my S&W 5906, S&W 6906, Sig P228 & a P229 in .40 S&W, I'd have to give the edge to the P228. While I shoot all of them very well, the P228 just has all the attributes I could ask for. It's fantastically reliable, accurate, has more than enough capacity and is still light enough that it's no problem carrying it for extended periods.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If I had to carry a DA/SA gun, I'd be looking hard at the HK P2000, and try to stay with the full grip, not the SK. The SIG P series DA/SAs are great shooters, but bigger and heavier than I'd like for carry. I shot a P2000 and was very happy with it. Good accuracy and shootability in a light relatively small package.

Of course, if I was going to carry a P2000, I might not do DA/SA, and might get the LEM version.

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
Have you thought about the Beretta PX-4? I have never shot one but I see tons of people online that seem to love them.
The only thing I dislike about Beretta is their safeties are slide mounted and bass ackwards. Move the safety to the frame, make safe UP, and fire DOWN, and I would buy one in a heartbeat! I have shot the PX-4, they're fine guns, and accurate.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My favorite DA/SA carry gun is the HK P2000. I've been carrying it close to 6 years now.

I've owned about a dozen Hks over the years - but the P2000 is my favorite

·
Registered
18 Posts
My plan, about a year or so ago was to try to find the H&K 2000SK w/lem. Never found one anywhere close, used or new. Hated to GB one without handling it. Still interested if I could find one, but it is time to move along. My 92G is much to big to try to carry, I'm only 6'-0 195 lbs (and OLD). The 92x compact would be sweet, but still awfully big for a compact. I think I've decided on the P225, but I'm wavering.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My plan, about a year or so ago was to try to find the H&K 2000SK w/lem. Never found one anywhere close, used or new. Hated to GB one without handling it. Still interested if I could find one, but it is time to move along. My 92G is much to big to try to carry, I'm only 6'-0 195 lbs (and OLD). The 92x compact would be sweet, but still awfully big for a compact. I think I've decided on the P225, but I'm wavering.
I had a DA/SA 9mm P2000sk. I had it the same amount of time as the P2000. However, they honestly print about the same, and I would rather carry the bigger gun (the P2000).

So, after years of sitting in the safe, I sold the P2000sk in Jan of this year. But, I love the P2000

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I found a real nice, barely used Sig P239 SAS 9mm today. I'm excited to give it a good try. Would like a couple more mags, but can't seem to locate any anywhere. Mask up.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
I cannot recommend a good DA/SA pistol as I have never liked them.

I carry full size pistols. My hands are so big that small pistols do not work for me. With that in mind I shoot S&W revolver's Glock's and 1911's the best, no need to look for anything else.

·
Registered
34,690 Posts
I cannot recommend a good DA/SA pistol as I have never liked them.

I carry full size pistols. My hands are so big that small pistols do not work for me. With that in mind I shoot S&W revolver's Glock's and 1911's the best, no need to look for anything else.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
For me it is the SIG P229 (mine is a no-rail carry model). I've owned (and still own) several others, but to me the P229 is the perfect compromise size (not too big, not too small), has a wonderfully smooth DA and SA trigger (and if you would like a lighter trigger, that is easy to do), good sights, reliable, and extremely accurate.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Like several others have said, S&W third gen, hands down.

Wonderfully smooth action.

I have a lot of guns I love, but this is one of the few that I feel I could carry anytime, anywhere, even through sand and mud, completely ignoring any care (not that I would willingly) and could still absolutely depend on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been thinking about something like this lately as well.

The two that have me most interested are the P30SK and the PX4 Compact Carry. Haven't tried either. The CZ P07 also interests me a bit, but I believe this is a slightly bigger gun.

I'd like to try both but good luck finding one to rent.

At this point I'd probably go with the P30SK with the LEM trigger (which I guess that might make it technically not DA/SA). But seems you get all the benefits of the DA/SA with the ability to thumb the hammer, long pull, etc, but with a consistent trigger pull. Otherwise if going pure DA/SA, the controls on the HK seem a little more "normal" to me than the Beretta setup. You can choose thumb safety or no on the DA/SA HK. I think (don't hold me to this) that the Beretta is decock only with no option for thumb / manual safety.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts