Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
For a DA/SA it would probably be between my CZ PCR and Walther P99 AS. Both are very accurate, good triggers/re-sets, ergonomic and totally reliable. I think I give the edge to the CZ PCR because it's a bit slimmer and the grip is more stable in my hand

Forgot the P99. That might be a good one too if you don't want / need the hammer.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
This! Size AND CALIBER! I only own 2 DA/SA pistol's & this is the winner!

100_0404 (1).JPG

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right now is the golden age of carry firearms and pretty much everything everyone has mentioned in this thread is A great carry gun. My personal favorites are the sig p229 (.357 sig), cz p01 (traditional, non omega), and hk p2000. These are all in that glock 19 Goldilocks perfect size range. I have no experience with the beretta px4 compact but it interests me as well. I’d also entertain the idea of a cz p07, hk p30sk, or walther p99. The walther p99 may be the most underrated da/sa carry gun ever. However since da/sa handguns can never be as thin as a single stack striker fired pistol I’ve went on to carry a M&p shield in 45 acp as of late.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The best gun is what's going to be best for you to handle. And everyone has a different feel. Some may like a revolver, or something small like a 380. I have a lot of different firearms that i carry for different occasions. But i like to switch up on EDC. All of which i am comfortable. One day is my Ruger SR9, the next is my Taurus 3inch 357/9 revolver 7 shot, or my Shield 45. I also keep a Bond Arms Snake Slayer loaded with Winchester PDX. If i have to hit someone with that as a back up, they're not getting back up. I also don't trust most holsters out there. Have had to many issues with kydex not keeping it's shape and the firearm coming out when i bend over. I have custom holsters made. I have 5, and two of them hold two separate firearms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got three DA/SA 2 Sig P220s and a Springfield XDE all in .45. The XDE is my EDC since its the smallest of the 3. But I do carry my P220 carry model since it has two more rounds in the magazine

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have so many DA/SA pistols I’ve lost count. Lately I carry a HK P30SK or a P30L. Also have carried, P239, M11A1, P229, P220C, P227, P229, P220, HK45C. That’s all I can remember. They’ve all been reliable, but the HKs are consistently tack drivers and never fail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's been few years since I had a DA/SA, but my favorites were the third generation S&W's, including the 4506, 4516, 6906 and 3913. I leaned heavily towards the .45's and carried a 645/4506 for duty and a 4516 for off-duty. Great guns. Too bad they were replaced with plastic ones.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Genitron.com is The best authority and database collection one can search via filters to find most anything.
Your list suggests more time in searches might be warranted to find your "ideal" carry, even though I agree most of us would have to invent/design true ideal for selves.

e.g. the Genitron searches could put a priority on smallest (pocket carry), recoil for the sensitive, Defensive factor (using their own factors to rate), Power (as set by competition authorities) but it fails in being able to combine filters, which is OK, since even then the resulting firearm would still not be "ideal".

You wanted personal opinions but all I can give here in handguns is dissatisfaction with no ideal for me
22LR Browning Challenger - short barrel, so accurate, no recoil, 10+1 capacity BUT not fun to carry and "one stop" power w/o perfect placement not worth the troubles

Anything revolver should be Ruger and if pocket carry, LCR357 (sensitives can elect 38spl fro less recoil) 125gr PD ammo is not bad when practiced regularly; No-see-um holster

Anything affordable and dependable should be Springfield Armory, whose got a top 3 pistol listed on Genitron's Defensive list. As for me the Mod.2 finally arrived & replaced Barbie Doll Glock, whose add-ons & bling cost more than the gun, which still is not close to perfect nor reliable. The Mod.2 could be pocket but small enough to carry anywhere. VERY accurate, large capacity, easy to find night sights, green CT laser but not holsters. Wishing for a 357mag version (ideal is always impossible) but 45acp fine & dandy with special PD ammo.

Being backwards that I am, a good backup that can't find rear night sights nor green CT laser is the S&W Nighthawk 357mag 8-shot snubby. Heavy, single shot accurate, recoil OK even with high-grain powder. Where to carry & shop holsters is up to others if a primary carry, I guess.

Genitron is a candy store, so spend a rainy weekend there before going forward with your list.

·
Registered
823 Posts
CZ75 Compact... Next!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I have an XDE 45 and like it for what it is, a DA/SA, but it is a little on the heavy side, a bit top heavy IMHO. I tried to convince my wife to use it as a purse gun back before she transitioned to a belly band, but she didn't like the weight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an XDE 45 and like it for what it is, a DA/SA, but it is a little on the heavy side, a bit top heavy IMHO. I tried to convince my wife to use it as a purse gun back before she transitioned to a belly band, but she didn't like the weight.
I’ve been considering one of those myself. How’s revolutionary compared to other 45’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Personally, I don't see anything particularly revolutionary about the XDE 45. It is pretty slim, it does function as it should. It weighs 26 oz empty, not particularly light. The trigger is functional, long pull DA, fair amount of creep SA but not gritty or anything.
I primarily got it to carry because it is somewhat slimmer than the G29 I was carrying. Before long, I migrated back to the G29 as I alway do, 10mm gives me more of a warm fuzzy and my other carry gun is a G20, when I carry both, I have ammo compatibility.
So, in summary, I don't see anything revolutionary about the XDE 45 but it is a perfectly servicable, slim SA/DA in 45 ACP. I think the best advice I could give to you is to find a range that has one as a rental and try it out to see how it shoots for you.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally, I don't see anything particularly revolutionary about the XDE 45. It is pretty slim, it does function as it should. It weighs 26 oz empty, not particularly light. The trigger is functional, long pull DA, fair amount of creep SA but not gritty or anything.
I primarily got it to carry because it is somewhat slimmer than the G29 I was carrying. Before long, I migrated back to the G29 as I alway do, 10mm gives me more of a warm fuzzy and my other carry gun is a G20, when I carry both, I have ammo compatibility.
So, in summary, I don't see anything revolutionary about the XDE 45 but it is a perfectly servicable, slim SA/DA in 45 ACP. I think the best advice I could give to you is to find a range that has one as a rental and try it out to see how it shoots for you.
How is the recoil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Love my SR9, keep and extra mag in my back pocket View attachment 334434
you have made a few post in this thread a without any reference to the ops question regarding it being a DA/SA pistol, do you know what DA/SA means or not? everthing you are spouting off about is striker fired.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Boy, you're asking the wrong person about recoil, the sensation of recoil is highly subjective, I'm perfectly happy shooting full-power 357 in my airweight and my 500 S&Ws for plinking.
The barrel on the XDE is fairly high axis so there is a bit more muzzle rise than I get with my Glock. Again, I'd highly recommend that you find a gun shop/range which will let you try one out, some people would find the recoil objectionable, it's certainly a bit more than you'd feel with a 1911 due to the weight difference.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts