Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be entering an environment as part of my occupation in the next few months that will require me to be armed.
I only own full size firearms and these are absolutely not an option.

What I'm looking for is, preferably something in 9mm because thats what my normal carry weapon is, but I'm open to carrying a .45 as well, not a fan of .40.

Preferably a semi-auto, as my friend let me try out his deep conceal, which is a .38spl sw 642. I can't say I'm a great fan of revolvers but if thats my only option so be it, for under 400 you can get one of these brand new.

I need something I can carry on a daily basis and it is imperative my gun never be seen or I would face life altering consequences that I may never recover from.

I would likely be carrying IWB or pocket carry.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Only thing I can think is your going undercover,the ruger LCP Or Keltec PF9 in a pocket holster or smartcarry,the pf9 is 9mm the LCP is 380

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you don't want to go below a 9mm and I wouldn't either.
I like Kel Tec's and have the PF9 9mm, it has a single stack 7rd mag and light weight, reliable and +P rated. I also own the P11 9mm, 10rd double stack mag, also +P rated. It is a little heavier and thicker than the PF 9. I've carried both in a smart carry, IBW, and a 5.11 Holster undershirt, and prefer IWB, but that's a personal preference. I'm not a fan of pocket or ankle carry. I've never had any malfunctions with either weapon( a couple hundred rnds of hardball was recommend as a good break in for them. They are also a breeze to strip for cleaning. As far as JHP's, I like Reminington, but have shot a few other brands, including CorBon +P's, with no problem.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Kahr is probably your best bet for a pocket carry 9x19 pistol. The Walther PPS might be small enough for pocket carry but I am not sure. There are ways to deep conceal larger pistols using belly bands and the Smart Carry system. The Glock 26 and Smart Carry might be a good deep conceal set up too, but I have never tried it myself.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
G26 & Smart Carry

The Glock 26 and Smart Carry might be a good deep conceal set up too, but I have never tried it myself.
I carry a G26 in a Smart Carry holster 5 days a week. I highly recommend both the G26 & Smart Carry.

Smart carry works quite well once your find the "right" spot. This applies to any handgun you carry in SC. My G26 is the first glock I've bought. I will be buying another Glock or two in the future.

I highly recommend the G26 & SC.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm going to be entering an environment as part of my occupation in the next few months that will require me to be armed. ...
I need something I can carry on a daily basis and it is imperative my gun never be seen or I would face life altering consequences that I may never recover from.
I would likely be carrying IWB or pocket carry.
There are oodles of small guns out there , but judging by your tone you will need more than that to ensure your safety. Even small guns can bulge or print if your clothing choice is wrong.

And even if no one sees your gun you also need to ensure that physical
contact doesn't reveal it should you be in close quarters.

Volumes have been written on this subject but here's a brief introductory
article...... Undercover Guns

:wave:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a Kahr PM9 that I carry 95% of the time as my edc in my left front pocket in a kydex pocket holster.....I have a LCP that I carry in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster that is also good but the Kydex type are thinner yet. I am not saying to go with a LCP or a 380, just making the distinction between thinner kydex holsters for better concealment.

I have tried pocket carrying a Glock 26 in the same fashion but it is just too thick for me.....can be done in cargo shorts or similar but not really in jeans.

Here it is next to holster:

And in Holster:

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Kahr may be best for your use

I think your best bet is a polymer Kahr PM9 in the pocket, or a steel Kahr MK9 inside the waistband with the shirt tucked over it or worn outside the belt. I use the second alternative in your situation, with a Comp-Tac 2 O'clock appendix carry holster. It doesn't show at all with the right clothes, is very small, and gives you 6+1 rounds of 9mm. You can carry a spare mag in the weak side pocket. The draw is also very fast from the appendix position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my two cents

The two concealed holsters I like are the smart carry ( The people at the company were EASY to work with) that I carry either a S&W 459, Sig 239or a KAHR CW40 in. The other holster I use quite frequently is a Galco SYOPS for either the Sig or KAHR.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
You should look at the Kahr's, good sub compacts and good quality too. The PM or CW series are polymers and light weight for all day carry. I have the CW9 and would recomend it to anyone, great pistol for $400 and change. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The Kahr is hard to beat as a single stack deep cover gun. I personally carry n my pocket a S&W 340 in .357 mag. It is a snappy recoil gun but it will get the job done. I do like the Kahr PM9 a lot. Thats probably where you should look.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm a big Walther PPS fan for EDC. German innovation and build quality. Only .91 inches thin. About as thick as a deck of playing cards. Mine are flawless and digest all the ammo I feed them. So thin you almost forget you are carrying. :bier:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would strongly urge that the OP take a strong look at the Smart Carry system before any choice about a firearm is made. The majority of the suggestions made herein pretty much all specified some small guns e.g. G26, and a variety of Kahr's. But, with the SC, one can most assuredly open up to other, larger, guns and carry them just as well as the "mouse gun" options. Personally, I have carried a full size 1911, and an XD45 with no problems.

Using the SC will open up gun choices to you that you might want to make as opposed to just the smaller guns. FWIW!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
9mm mouse gun? I would say the mouse gun category doesn't apply to anything 9mm or above. The SC is a good option, but I don't think it lends itself to a very quick draw setup, IMO. I don't have one so I can't really say for sure, JMO.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Having carried Kel Tec PF9 in pocket holster Uncle Mike #4 and ankle carry Galico Cop series cab2m, can say PF9 is almost to large for my taste for really deep concealment Don't know how it would work with IWB tuck holster. Kel Tec website has tuckable holster for under 20.00 dollars have not used them and do not know the quality. For deep carry consider the Kel Tec P3AT While it is only 380acp it is much easier to conceal. Both my Kel Tecs are very dependable and P3AT fit ankle holster very well with much less chance to print. Use Uncle Mikes #2 for pocket carry but to make it really work right had to add 1/2 filler to bottom of holster. Hope this was some help and very best to you on your assignment. Come home safe.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Genitron.com, by far the best reference site for handguns. Searchable by caliber, maker, type. Includes just about anything you would want to know about the gun.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I am a dyed in the wool 1911 fan. My carry gun is always some sort of 1911. When the weather is extremely hot and/or humid, I carry a Colt Mustang(.380) in a pocket holster. Otherwise, I carry a 1911 with either a 3" or a 4" barrel in an IWB or a shoulder holster.

I agree with using a .45 and I also agree that no matter what you do or wear, guns will eventually find some way to "print." That being said, whenever possible, my choice of carry is a Kimber, 3" Tactical Ultra II. Otherwise, I go to a Springfield Champion. 1911's are flat, relatively easy to carry and conceal, and, what the Hell, I like .45's.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm really not a great fan of the .380, but seeing as it was a military/law enforcement round over in europe, it must be quite capable of killing people. Obviously the 9mm is better but it looks like even the kahrs are too big for the type of concealment I'm going for.

It looks like my only option is the Ruger LCP and the Keltec P3AT.

I know there are other, smaller guns out there, but they're not made by reputable manufacturers. I guess my next move is to go ahead and try to find someone I know who owns either of the guns and take them to the range.

6+1 isnt a bad deal for capacity in deep conceal, as I think 5 rounds from a revolver is really cutting it short.

As to the posters who think I would be under gunned with a .380, I don't disagree, but in my specific situation if an aggressor were to come in, I'd be blending in with everyone else, and be nobody special.
Likely the engagement would happen at under 20 feet.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Well if you are looking .380 that changes my recommendation. Look at the Sig P238 or Kahr p380. Both excellent dependable build quality and overall better guns with NS and whatnot available.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I am interested in knowing HOW FAST the OP needs to be able to present the weapon, and if two hands will be reliably available to get the weapon into play. If this is a hazardous job, I would run, not walk, from esoteric carry methods such as the ones that require digging a weapon from beneath one's belt line, or any tuckable rig. (For an exception, see below.)

OTOH, esoteric carry methods for a 9mm might be quite OK if it is possible to pocket or otherwise carry something non-snag that is fast to deploy, such as a 642/442/40/42 etc. I am a believer in secondary weapons, with J-snubs being as good as it gets, IMHO. I do agree with 9mm as a good minimum for an autopistol, and I have reservations about any .45 smaller than a G30, which is really a quite big pistol, with its width and protruding rear slide area. Secondary, in this sense, does not mean mere back-up, or something pulled as a last resort, but an alternate that can hit hard and fast, to give time/space needed to pull a more deeply concealed weapon with which to continue the fight. Mas Ayoob wrote of an NYCPD officer, not in uniform, pulling his snub first, to kill one armed robber, and wound the other, when the officer's larger weapon was less accessible. I have had my hand on a pocketed SP101 numerous times, while my duty pistol was still snug in its retention rig. (My issued duty pants and duty jacket have HUGE pockets, therefore the SP101, rather than a J-snub.)

Perhaps, one of the OP's present weapons can be hidden deeply, in something such as a tuckable, so that only the snubby needs to be acquired? Just a thought.

Edited to add: OK, I just realized the OP did post a follow-up. This is just my opinion, but if a 9mm Kahr is too small, I would go with J-frame snubbies, such as the 642, and preferably more than one of them.

FWIW, my wife's Kahr K9 has been 100% reliable from round one. Mine was 100% reliable with everything I tried except Cor-bon 115 grain 9mm JHP. I used Federal 9BPLE in mine. In hindsight, I should have kept mine, but I decided to go with 1911s and J-frames, and nothing else, for a 5-year period, during which I sold off a lot of stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts