Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my question is, which rechargeable flashlight do you guys think is the best in terms of a "Duty Flashlight" with high run time etc?

Below is a screenshot of the research I have found so far:

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
36,936 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Depends entirely upon your duty.

If it's law enforcement, you want something durable, with heft. Three or four D-cells will do that, and the ML300L fits the bill.

If you're camping, or just hanging around the house when the power's out, a cheap, $15 headlamp is more useful.

If you're in a true, SHTF bugout situation (highly unlikely), you may want a small, light, multi-function unit with solar and manual charging. At that, I suspect candles and hurricane globes would have more utility.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
10,834 Posts
All of my lights (I am a flashlight junkie - really I can quit) are Surefires. None are rechargeable. I prefer 123 disposable batteries.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
20,252 Posts
With a continuous use run time on the lowest setting of 22 hours, and powered by a single AA battery, the Fenix E12 is my favorite edc.

I don’t need a floodlight all of the time, but I do need long term dependability and burn that gets carried every day.

·
Registered
42,056 Posts
You're all high faluting whippersnappers.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Mt wife and I carry a Fenix PD-35 for the last 6 years maybe . Great light for use . have one old mag light still with a creed led insert . Makes for a goof light but not tactical unless beating a BG to death is what is needed . Large & heavy and sits in a drawer with no batteries today . Had a larger fenix TK35UE as a house light for a couple years now .

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Tactical? Starts with over 1,000 TRUE lumens. Compare HOW the manufacturer determined lumens. It varies. Of the top 4 on the high lumen ranking, I would skip the Acebeam L19 due to its extremely low lumen on the low setting. The low output on the Fenix L35 is a bit high for what I would be using the low setting for, althought he eco setting might fit the bill. My NEMO has a high rating of 450 and that's a bit too high for most of my use, but a little low for security purposes, as in blinding an attacker. I'd like to find a small rechargable flashlight at a good price with a high lumen of about 750 to 1,000 real lumens.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My favorite "duty" rechargeable flashlight is my Fenix Ld30. 1600 lumens, a tail switch and 4.2" long, makes it a very good edc defensive pocket light, imo.
It's sort of the civy version of the PD36R. The PD36R costs more but has a better beam, better run times and a better battery.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Streamlight Stinger DS LED HP

ETA: disregard looks like you might be looking for a small and compact pocket light not necessarily a duty light.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I want a flashlight to be a flashlight. I have had many occasions to use a couple of different type/style of impact weapons against violent offenders and I am not all that inclined to waste any time discriminating against any flashlight based on whether or not it would make a good impact weapon. That said, if someone wants to design an aggressive bezel on a good flashlight, I wont take it off.

As far as what I consider good.. I like:

Fenix
Olight
Thru-nite

I dont give a flip about anything over 300 lumens and have never needed (or wanted) anything more than 150 lumens. To be quite honest, I most often find myself using something in the area of 55 lumens unless I am leaving the house. When I may need something more than that, I currently enjoy a light that has a firefly (ultra-low) setting, 150 and 300 lumens. I have no plans to ever use the 300 setting but its there if the need should arise.

My indoor/task light is a Energizer Romeo (55 lumen) 1 AA

OUtdoor light is a Fenix I bought 10 years ago 2x AA

Trunk of car/ Streamlight "Dualie" 3x AA

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't get some of these new 21700 battery lights that give you 3,500 lumens. . . . For 75 seconds and then drop to 700 lumens.

Give me a light that can hold a 1,000 lument (give or take a bit) for a solid 30 minutes, or 800 lumens for a hour or more.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Fenix PD35

1 - 18 of 18 Posts