Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm not unfamiliar with firearms, however, I am more familiar with shotguns and handguns. I'm looking to expand my arsenal and acquire a rifle. I'm looking for something mainly for plinking around but also for use in defensive/survival situations. Basically I want a well rounded all purpose rifle. As of right now I'm leaning towards an AR-15 (specifically the Smith and Wesson Sport II) or a bolt action (Remington 700). I'm also a BIG fan of revolvers and carry a S&W 640, because of that I'm not opposed to the idea of a lever gun chambered in .357, I would want more information on this option though. My final option I've considered is a Mosin Nagant, I know this is way outdated, but I'm a historian by training and so I have an affinity for historic firearms (probably why I enjoy revolvers). So my question for you all is what platform would you recommend, what caliber would you chamber it in, and what brand do you prefer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Never had a gun I would go 10/22 take down ..

But since you can handle scatter guns I would vote sport 2 or a WSAR10 )

I have no urge to ever buy a Model 700 after all the crap that has come out about REM ie they knew the trigger can fail and kill and cover it up etc etc ..A old old model pre all the trigger crap yes or maybe a timmy trigger but frankly Rem is on my bad list right now

Mosin and my Fav the K31 are great guns ..But both ammo and the price is guns is at the point now where I rather get something else

Though frankly you want a cool gun a K31 or Enfild would be good

I would also say a lever gun would be a good idea but they are a whole different skill set then a semi auto ..Love them but I am not confident with one to say I would use it for HD ....

·
Registered
722 Posts
before I'd buy a Russian/Mosin battle rifle I'd think about a mid 20th century battle rifle..(Garand..FN49.. or an early 20th century Remington 03 or 1917 Enfield battle rifle...Mosin are junk IMHO...anything would be better

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
before I'd buy a Russian/Mosin battle rifle I'd think about a mid 20th century battle rifle..(Garand..FN49.. or an early 20th century Remington 03 or 1917 Enfield battle rifle...Mosin are junk IMHO...anything would be better
A good mosin is not ..Problem is most people are use to the war mosin that are beat and burned to heck ..You get a Fin mosin or the sniper mosin they made ( ie heavy stock , Sako target match barrel on them old school peep sights ) you can out shoot most bolt guns in good hand with good ammo ..But a rattle trape war mosin no just ok

With the price you listed now I would rather hold off most of the surplus gun now are getting very high in pricy unless it is some beat to heck etc gun

I have long wanted a FN49 the mag model with 20 round mags ..But the price eh rahter have a G3

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
You're in Murray?!? Good ON ya'! You live where God...vacations. Find a Rossi .357 Model 92 Winchester (clone) to compliment your S&W 640. Get the rifle-length barrel (24") if you can find it. There's also a guy (can't recall his name) who specializes in performance-tuning those guns. His work is very, VERY well-respected. :yup:

Reactions: redmc and Goldy49

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
As far as bolt guns go get a Ruger American! This is coming from someone who spent wayyy too much on a Remington Mod 700 BDL years ago!:frown: The M&P Sport or Ruger AR-556 is a great choice for an entry level AR! Do yourself a favor and skip the Remington they are not same gun they once were.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
For plinking, and possible hd, the 5.56 and 7.62x39 are the economical choices. A .22lr will be the most fun to plink with, but isn't a defensive caliber. I'd say it is an AR vs. AK debate. Time to do some homework on the endless debate that brings. Search this forum, and others so see what makes the best sense for you. For me, I'd start with the AR. AK's take a bit more homework to avoid cheap junk. Even cheap AR's seem to be decent (non-competition) range guns.

To wade through the endless choices and boil it down to 2 rifles:
1. AR: PSA 16" premium build
2. AK: WASR 10

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
For plinking, and possible hd, the 5.56 and 7.62x39 are the economical choices. A .22lr will be the most fun to plink with, but isn't a defensive caliber. I'd say it is an AR vs. AK debate. Time to do some homework on the endless debate that brings. Search this forum, and others so see what makes the best sense for you. For me, I'd start with the AR. AK's take a bit more homework to avoid cheap junk. Even cheap AR's seem to be decent (non-competition) range guns.

To wade through the endless choices and boil it down to 2 rifles:
1. AR: PSA 16" premium build
2. AK: WASR 10
Yep ..With AK ask first

Though it boils down to skip the IO the Hesse anything Centurys makes ( makes not improrts ) and any kit built gun from a unknowe name

Plenty of vids on how to check out when you buy one or some people like Alentic will do it for you

·
Registered
598 Posts
What sort of budget are you looking at?
Hello All,

I'm not unfamiliar with firearms, however, I am more familiar with shotguns and handguns. I'm looking to expand my arsenal and acquire a rifle. I'm looking for something mainly for plinking around but also for use in defensive/survival situations. Basically I want a well rounded all purpose rifle. As of right now I'm leaning towards an AR-15 (specifically the Smith and Wesson Sport II) or a bolt action (Remington 700). I'm also a BIG fan of revolvers and carry a S&W 640, because of that I'm not opposed to the idea of a lever gun chambered in .357, I would want more information on this option though. My final option I've considered is a Mosin Nagant, I know this is way outdated, but I'm a historian by training and so I have an affinity for historic firearms (probably why I enjoy revolvers). So my question for you all is what platform would you recommend, what caliber would you chamber it in, and what brand do you prefer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You're in Murray?!? Good ON ya'! You live where God...vacations. Find a Rossi .357 Model 92 Winchester (clone) to compliment your S&W 640. Get the rifle-length barrel (24") if you can find it. There's also a guy (can't recall his name) who specializes in performance-tuning those guns. His work is very, VERY well-respected. :yup:
I have the Rossi '92 in 357 and I got to say, if you just want pure fun to shoot, this is the way to go. (I find myself humming the theme song from the Rifleman every time I take it out.) For self defensive use, however, I tend more towards the traditional Daniel Defense AR. But hey, it's nice to have choices.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My first rifle was a Marlin .22, which is a near exact copy of the Ruger 10-22...or maybe the Ruger is a copy of the Marlin...I'm not sure. Main difference is that it has a tube magazine under the barrel instead of a removable box mag. I bought it in 1968, still have it, and it's been a solid shooter throughout all those years. It's dispatched more critters, cans, bottles, and pieces of paper than any other firearm I've ever owned.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My first rifle was a Marlin .22, which is a near exact copy of the Ruger 10-22...or maybe the Ruger is a copy of the Marlin...I'm not sure. Main difference is that it has a tube magazine under the barrel instead of a removable box mag. I bought it in 1968, still have it, and it's been a solid shooter throughout all those years. It's dispatched more critters, cans, bottles, and pieces of paper than any other firearm I've ever owned.
Your referring to the Marlin model 60. It's the most sold 22 rifle in existence. Over 11 million sold. I own both the model 60 and 10/22 takedown in stainless steel. There both great guns.

As for the OP's question, I say it's hard to beat an AR-15 for a general purpose rifle platform. If your looking for a bolt gun the Rugar American is a sweet shooter and a true bargain.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I would say that the ideal first rifle is some sort of .22, with iron sights. Bolt action or semi, your choice. There are a number of good ones on the market that can be found for <$200 (Marlin, Ruger, and Savage all come to mind). That way you can learn how to properly shoot a rifle, for cheaper than any centerfire rifle, and will then have it for future plinking sessions as well. While not ideal for self defense, a .22 has many advantages as a survival rifle. For small game, there will be less meat loss than with centerfires. The ammo is significantly lighter per round. They are quieter. In short, with their low cost and utility, I think pretty much everyone should have a .22 rifle.

Now, for the rest of your options:

I have a Marlin lever action in .357, and it is a fantastic little carbine. It is handy, light and easy to shoot. That being said, it isn't a very good all around rifle. The main reason I say that is because when I think of a good all around rifle, it should be able to hit targets accurately for several hundred yards out. The .357 just doesn't have the reach. Here is some interesting reading for you: Lever-Action Ballistics: .30-30 vs. .357 Magnum - The Truth About Guns

The bolt actions in centerfire calibers really start to shine at longer distance shooting, but are less that ideal for defense purposes. Especially the base models with small internal magazines. I realize that for the better part of 60 years, wars were fought with bolt actions, many of which had internal magazines (1903, K98, Mosins, etc...). But there is a reason that they aren't the main infantry arm anymore. Can you defend yourself with a bolt action? Yes, but there are better tools for the job.

Which brings us to the semi-auto rifles. I am biased towards the AR platform myself, but there are a number of semi-automatic rifles that would be perfectly well suited to defense, can be accurately used at range, and are fun to plink with on the range.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I'm looking for something mainly for plinking around but also for use in defensive/survival situations.
This just SCREAMS AR-15. Its good for self defense, good as a "survival situation" arm. Instead of the sport 2, look at the Aero Precision AC15. Its cheaper/same price and has better components and specs. Aero Precision is a HUGE machine shop and makes perhaps 30-50% of the AR15 components in the country, including a lot of parts for the big guys. They can cut out the middle man and sell a rifle with their name on it for cheaper, since they make a majority of the parts in house.

Aero Precision AC-15 Complete Rifle

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
I have no urge to ever buy a Model 700 after all the crap that has come out about REM ie they knew the trigger can fail and kill and cover it up etc etc ..A old old model pre all the trigger crap yes or maybe a timmy trigger but frankly Rem is on my bad list right now
I do have to say my Remington in 30.06 did this at 1,000 yards. Had no trouble with it.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I own both AKs and ARs, and I must say that AKs are my favorite. If you want a plinking/defensive rifle that won't break the bank, those are your only 2 options IMHO.... Both rifles are inexpensive, their ammo can usually be found anywhere ammo is sold, and the ammo for both doesn't cost much to shoot (plinking), but will get the job done defensively.

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
If you want to shoot enough and develop your skill, but still want a rifle that is truly versatile, forget the AR's and get a 10-22.

Ill put my money on a 10-22 in the hands of a true rifleman, against the most expensive tacticool AR in the hands of someone with no real experience......and there are a ******* lot of those types.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
If you want to shoot enough and develop your skill, but still want a rifle that is truly versatile, forget the AR's and get a 10-22.

Ill put my money on a 10-22 in the hands of a true rifleman, against the most expensive tacticool AR in the hands of someone with no real experience......and there are a ******* lot of those types.
I watched a video the other day, where a .22 out of a rifle still penetrated a 1/2 inch pine board at over 440 yards. Folks underestimate the lethality of .22 rifles. A Ruger 10/22 with the 25 round mag would be a formidable weapon...especially if suppressed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts