Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took out my AR to the 100yd indoor range. A friend who is newer to guns just bought a Daniel Defense AR and threw a Holosun red dot on it, and wanted help getting it zeroed, so off to the range we went. I also threw my AR in the case too. Its a 14.5" BCM enhanced lightweight upper, and a BCM factory lower. I was shooting it with a SWFA SS 3-15x scope in some no-name junk mount from Amazon, a Silencerco Omega 300, and used a Harris bipod up front and a tubesock filled with plastic BBs for rear support.

I looked up the size of a full size IDPA target. It is 30" tall by 18.5" wide. Downloaded a photo of an IDPA silhouette, threw it into MS Paint, and started messing with it and resizing it, until I could get it smaller. Since I realistically only have 100 yards available, and anything longer is 1hr+ in the car each way, I started shrinking the target to simulate further distances. Now I know... Its indoors so no wind, no drop, blah blah blah. It isnt the same. I get it. I was just trying to simulate the size of the targert and to see what it looked like through my scope and to see if I could hit a smaller target. Printed it out at different sizes so it was the size it would be at 100yd increments, going from 300y to 1000y. It seems that 1000y, with a full size silhouette, a 15x scope is PLENTY of magnification. At 100y, the 1000yd simulated target was 3" tall, and was plenty easy to see at 15x. I could even aim at a specific corner on the top of the head.

Anyway, the RO was super cool, and after a while we were the only people in the bay, so he said we could get down on the ground and shoot prone if we wanted to instead of off the bench. Took him up on it, and this was the first time Ive really shot prone. There just isnt really anywhere that allows it around here. It is incredible how much more stable it is than off of a bench. I was able to hit the smaller targets all day with the 55gr Wolf steel ammo. No problems. Then I figured Id bust out some handloads I had. A while back, I loaded some Hornady 55gr FMJ bullets in mixed brass. All different headstamps, but it was all trimmed and processed the same. Picked a random load of CFE223 out of my Hornady manual, 26.7gr, and loaded up some ammo a couple years back. Ive shot some of it before, with red dots and whatnot, and noticed it always shot pretty well, but Ive never sat down and shot it with a high magnification scope going for tight groups when I was super stable.

Now let me tell you, this stuff shot well. It was typically shooting groups of around .8-1.0" at 100y. I was already super happy with that. In my gun, even with mixed range brass and budget 55gr FMJ bulk bullets, its a consistent 1 MOA shooting load. Even got a few groups at .5" Then my friend and I both shot a pair of groups back to back on the "1000y" simulated target. His was a 0.26" group, and then mine right after it was a .37" group. Couldnt believe it. On his group, you can stand a .223 round up on the paper, and the case head ALMOST covers up all the torn paper in the 3 shot group. Pretty cool. Definitely makes me want to take some of my nice Starline brass, and load up a few different charges in this area and see how much better it shoots. If I could get it to shoot a consistent .75" group at 100y with a bullet that costs $0.08, Id be beyond happy. And this isnt a match rifle by any means. Its all factory BCM stuff, a BCM mil-spec trigger, and a BCM pencil barrel (its 0.6" thick at the muzzle) that has 2,000 plus rounds of steel garbage ammo through it, and a 5.56 NATO chamber that hasnt seen a brush in over 1,000 rounds. I know shes ugly, but she's as reliable as any gun can be, and she can obviously deliver the goods. This is a pic of how she was set up today for shooting groups. Usually has a DD fixed rear sight, an Aimpoint Micro, and a Blue Force Gear sling, minus the bipod and scope.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Just so you know, I would kill to get those groups with FMJ, mixed brass and thrown charges!

The best I've been able to get in several barrels is 1.1-1.3 MOA for 5 rds with that combination. I can get their with match bullets and some varmint bullets, same headstamp, but cheap FMJ?

Congrats!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Great shooting rifle. I couldn't imagine x15! We used to shoot 600m with off the rack M16's and Lake City ammo. Best I could get was 11" groups.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts