Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's recommendation for a good gun belt. Preferably leather. Or should I pick my holster first then get the belt? Will be carrying either appendix or IWB around 3-5. Still playing around with what's most comfortable position. Also not sure which belt width I should go with or if that even matters?

Also I apologize for just posting question after question on here, I'm trying to learn on the fly here and get as much information as I can. I swear I'm not a gun noob, however I am a carry noob. Just going to get my cc so really the only carrying I've ever done is walking out my back door and back into the woods to my own small gun range I have. Never used a gun belt or holsters before.

·
Registered
712 Posts
What's everyone's recommendation for a good gun belt. Preferably leather. Or should I pick my holster first then get the belt? Will be carrying either appendix or IWB around 3-5. Still playing around with what's most comfortable position. Also not sure which belt width I should go with or if that even matters?

Also I apologize for just posting question after question on here, I'm trying to learn on the fly here and get as much information as I can. I swear I'm not a gun noob, however I am a carry noob. Just going to get my cc so really the only carrying I've ever done is walking out my back door and back into the woods to my own small gun range I have. Never used a gun belt or holsters before.
Bigfoot gunbelts. I have 2 steel core great service. Real reasonable if I remember right about$60

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, I've noticied that name being mentioned here a few times before. Does width matter or is that nothing more than personal preference?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine are 1.5"
Witch is prototype standard. I know 1.75" is available. You didn't mention how you are going to carry. It can make a difference

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
You should also look at CompTac and Tucker Gunleather. Lot's of companies make good belts for carry.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Any of the leather "double layer" belts will do you well. The one I have, I've had for about 4 or 5 years now. I can't even remember the name of it but I'm very happy with it. It's not cow leather though. I went with one that is horse or bull leather, double layer.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
First, holster you buy won't usually dictate which belt you need, aside from colors.

I've got two that I love equally. My choice for leather is a Bigfoot 14oz steel core. Super comfortable with either my IWB or OWB holsters, and supports larger guns withe ease. The Bigfoot is the only belt of any kind that doesn't curve after being worn for a few weeks.

IMG_0007.jpg

The second is a Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch instructors belt, which I'm wearing today with a P226 IWB. The adjustability is awesome, and it's just as supportive and comfortable as the Bigfoot.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
A Better Belt USA
excellent belts, and probably more options than anyone else
you can design and order your own belt on the website

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine are 1.5"
Witch is prototype standard. I know 1.75" is available. You didn't mention how you are going to carry. It can make a difference
I plan to experiment with IWB and AIWB, not sure which I'll chose but I'm gonna try those first.

·
Premium Member
36,695 Posts
Wilderness Instructors are the ones I wind up wearing every day. I wish I had saved the money I spent on the rest of them I have hanging on the door.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Aker B21 is cheap and great. 1.5" Looks good in most dress. Stiffer than my Aliengear/bigfoot belt. The Aliengear belt with the roller buckle looks fine in jeans, but not as good in slacks. Has held up for about a year so far no problems.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My preference is the 18 oz steel reinforced Bigfoot. My review can be seen HERE

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My preference is the 18 oz steel reinforced Bigfoot. My review can be seen HERE
I actually just spoke with Bigfoot and they recommended the 14oz for me. It'll be just a glock 23 and the holster plus my iPhone in a belt clip. Do you agree 14oz or will I wish I had gotten the 18 like you did?

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Take it to the bank

There is no one absolute "best", but being informed on the pro's and cons of your options will save disappointments and money in the long run. Beware of gimmick belts. Read the entire section here on things to know: Things To Know About Belts. Even if you decide to go with a competitor you can compare apples to apples.

Two other makers I can vouch for are A&G Products Archive - AG Custom Gun Leather and The Beltman https://www.thebeltman.net/

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I actually just spoke with Bigfoot and they recommended the 14oz for me. It'll be just a glock 23 and the holster plus my iPhone in a belt clip. Do you agree 14oz or will I wish I had gotten the 18 like you did?
Andy ... For your stated needs the 14 oz is likely sufficient. Two of the pistols in my carry rotation are all steel and weigh 3+ pounds which is why I went with the 18 ounce version. Good luck with your decision :yup:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
As Buck stated, the 14 oz is more than enough. Good luck with it. I decided it was what I wanted too.
I believe Kennydale has an 18oz.

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
862 Posts
Several +1's for Bigfoot. I just bought a 18 ounce with steel core - an awesome belt - I will buy more. Customer service is absolutely superior. Shipped same day it was ordered. I ordered a 42 inch instead of a 40 - pay attention to their size recommendation - order 4 inches larger than your pant size - I wear a 36 waist pants. I sent it back to them to exchange for a 40 inch. Bigfoot shipped the new size back to me the same day they received my return and they paid for the shipping although I ordered the wrong size. They have a 5 day trial period and the "wrong size exchange" policy. I called them several times before I ordered with questions and each time they were superior. I can not recommend Bigfoot enough.

Reactions: BuckJM53

·
Registered
214 Posts
On the 1.5 or 1.75 inch question. Measure your belt loops. Too late if you have already ordered. Also most holsters can be made to work with a 1.75 inch belt.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts