Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without having to do research, I was wondering which state has the best gun laws for its citizens, i.e. concealed carry & open carry.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Utah, less no-carry palces than any other. Also, OC is legal.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Kentucky is quiet gun friendly. Open carry is legal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Texas is definitely not THE best, but I'm happy with ours. It's 'mostly' common-sense oriented which is more than you can say for probably 45 states of the Union.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
It's hard to beat Alaska's policy but I'm Ok with Arizona.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Idaho is one of the best and has a Brady score of 6 and if you get a Utah license you add many states that don't recognize Idaho. Best thing about Idaho is the state government is not going down the road of making things more gun unfriendly.

Also if you have a shooting incident (you are the shooter) and the scumbag decides to sue you in civil court for damages/injuries - they must pay all court costs (yours and theirs) right from the beginning. This keeps down those civil suits because you legally shot a BG.

TITLE 6
ACTIONS IN PARTICULAR CASES
CHAPTER 8
ACTIONS FOR NEGLIGENCE
6-808.Civil immunity for self-defense. (1) A person who uses force as justified in section 18-4009, Idaho Code, or as otherwise permitted in sections 19-201 through 19-205, Idaho Code, is immune from any civil liability for the use of such force except when the person knew or reasonably should have known that the person against whom the force was used was a law enforcement officer acting in the capacity of his or her official duties.
(2) The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees and costs incurred by the defendant in any civil action if the court finds that the defendant is immune from such action pursuant to this section.
(3) As used in this section, "law enforcement officer" means any court personnel, sheriff, constable, peace officer, state police officer, correctional officer, probation or parole official, prosecuting attorney, city attorney, attorney general, or their employees or agents, or any other person charged with the duty of enforcement of the criminal, traffic or penal laws of this state or any other law enforcement personnel or peace officer as defined in chapter 51, title 19, Idaho Code.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I don't know Alaska law, what's so good about Alaska?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Idaho is one of the best and has a Brady score of 6 and if you get a Utah license you add many states that don't recognize Idaho. Best thing about Idaho is the state government is not going down the road of making things more gun unfriendly.

Also if you have a shooting incident (you are the shooter) and the scumbag decides to sue you in civil court for damages/injuries - they must pay all court costs (yours and theirs) right from the beginning. This keeps down those civil suits because you legally shot a BG.

TITLE 6
ACTIONS IN PARTICULAR CASES
CHAPTER 8
ACTIONS FOR NEGLIGENCE
6-808.Civil immunity for self-defense. (1) A person who uses force as justified in section 18-4009, Idaho Code, or as otherwise permitted in sections 19-201 through 19-205, Idaho Code, is immune from any civil liability for the use of such force except when the person knew or reasonably should have known that the person against whom the force was used was a law enforcement officer acting in the capacity of his or her official duties.
(2) The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees and costs incurred by the defendant in any civil action if the court finds that the defendant is immune from such action pursuant to this section.
(3) As used in this section, "law enforcement officer" means any court personnel, sheriff, constable, peace officer, state police officer, correctional officer, probation or parole official, prosecuting attorney, city attorney, attorney general, or their employees or agents, or any other person charged with the duty of enforcement of the criminal, traffic or penal laws of this state or any other law enforcement personnel or peace officer as defined in chapter 51, title 19, Idaho Code.
SHHHHHHH, we dont want more people moving in and changing things Idaho is one worst ones..............................

:twak:

:smile:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Let me add Virginia into the mix... Home of the NRA.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Idaho might be good,but in Tx if it's a legal SD shooting they can't even sue you,nor surviving members of the family.we also have castle doctrine AND defense of property

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I would say Alaska and VT are in close running.

·
Registered
140 Posts
SHHHHHHH, we dont want more people moving in and changing things Idaho is one worst ones..............................

:twak:

:smile:
I only want gun lovers to move here so if we pass that info on then hopefully that's who'll move here. I would much rather have them live next door than the SoCal freak that lives next door now. See thread below. But I know you were only kidding right? :wink:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...enarios/70193-crazy-neighbor.html#post1037501

·
Registered
231 Posts
I only want gun lovers to move here so if we pass that info on then hopefully that's who'll move here. I would much rather have them live next door than the SoCal freak that lives next door now. See thread below. But I know you were only kidding right? :wink:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...enarios/70193-crazy-neighbor.html#post1037501
yes I was only kidding, :) I would rather be able to go duck hunting with my neighboor then have them look at me strange when I check the mail in camo and waders :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Idaho might be good,but in Tx if it's a legal SD shooting they can't even sue you,nor surviving members of the family.we also have castle doctrine AND defense of property
That's cool but the suit does not go anywhere if you were legal in Idaho.

Idaho also has open carry without a permit. Does Texas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have to second Alaska and Vermont... In Vermont open carry and CCW are both legal. NO permit needed. I have learned from experience that open carry is very acceptable in most areas of Vermont.

I'm also a big fan of New Hampshire. Open carry is legal (though very rare in the southern part of the state) and a CCW is only $10 for 4 years. (got mine in 4 days).

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I would say Alaska and VT are in close running.
I agree.

Alaska will issue you a permit, if you want one for reciprocity.

OTOH, they could open up on the "yes but not here" list -- namely schools (or at less the parking lots) and places where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Let me add Virginia into the mix... Home of the NRA.
Although I am from Virginia and active in VCDL, I think we have too many "yes but not here" places. And we need a Civil immunity for self-defense law, IMHO.

There are reasons we a not at the bottom of the Brady bunch list.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts