Defensive Carry banner

Which is the best hunting rifle round?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For large game which of the listed rounds is the best? I look for distance, lethality, and accuracy. To me the .270 meets all of those.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Your missing the 12 gauge.

Although not a rifle, if you use slugs then you have effectively turned your Shotgun into a rifle.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
To me, the best overall hunting rifle round is definately the 30.06. It is very accurate, small enough for game as small as antelope or simillar sized animals. Yet still large enough for elk, bison and moose.

Rob99VMI04, the problem with the 12guage is distance, it doesn't have nearly the range needed for most big game.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Too me the 30-06 is the best all around gun,With a boat load of grains to
pick from,& it is good at 300 yards. JMO
H/D

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Too me the 30-06 is the best all around gun,With a boat load of grains to
pick from,& it is good at 300 yards. JMO
H/D
300 is nothing, I've killed 2 mule deer at over 500, and 1 from 620 with a 30.06

·
Registered
245 Posts
Other = there is no one BEST hunting round, It is a personal preferance, they will all kill a deer at reasonable ranges with proper bullets with in the realm of there intended target.

we all have personal best and tend to tell everyone that the caliber we use is best period,

As for me I think the 30-378 weatherby is the best hunting round period, some might think its the 30-06 and still yet some will say their wildcat round is the best.

If you want to go by sales then the 30-06 and 30-30 are it.

There are better choices then minje and also alot better choices then the 30-06. But to each his own on this.
there have been more friend ships lost around campfires and bar rooms over what is the best hunting caliber, as there have been arguments about the .45ACP VS.9MM, and 1911 VS. Glock.
it will never be settled and all we can do is use what works for each of us.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If limited to ONE rifle

the .375 H&H or equivalent can do it all anywhere in the world, but if you exclude, the largest, dangerous game, a .30/06 is still probably king of the cartridges.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
30-06 is a military round.

Depends on what you are hunting. If its a squirrel a 30 cal will turn it into red mist.

versital round is a .243 its accurate enough to be a hunting rifle but again will turn small game into hamburger.

the .223 is a great plinker round and can be a heck of a hunting round with the right equipment.

I have a .270 winchester. Its is and always was a hunting round. The case is necked down 30-06 and is slightly longer. The grain is anywhere from 110 to 170 maybe more choices still. The ballistics are pretty much the same as a 30-06. I picked the caliber cause everyone and their brother has a stinkin 30-06. I wanted to be different without being underpowered.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Lot's of folks round here swear by the 7mm Rem. Mag. :smile:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'd say .280 or 7mm Rem. Mag. For just whitetails and smaller, the 7mm-08 has some nice ballistics. Sure can't beat the variety of loads available for the 30-06 though.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
For about 30 years I used a 30-30 because I lived and hunted primarily in the norther zone in which 100 yards is a long shot. Since moving and hunting primarily in the southern zone where I could easily take a 300 to 400 yard shot I use a 30-06.
To each their own, we all have favorites and calibers that work best for us.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Although I do not currently have one, the 30-06 is the best all around cartridge for North America.
I prefer a .270 for animals up to elk, and for bears a .338 caliber cartridge. But if I could only have one rifle it would be a 30-06.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Hunting in thickly wooded areas, I have always preferred the good 'ole 30-30. There are more powerful rounds, but I know my limits with this round and feel that it is very effective for my purposes and in the areas I used to hunt...great for two-legged vermin as well.:hand10:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The .308 is the ballistic equivalent of the '06, just in a short action. I picked it because I hunted with a .308 pre-64 Winchester that had been re-chambered for it. I don't use it for hunting anymore, but it will still shoot groups that a dime will easily cover at 100, and I have killed everything I scoped from whitetail deer to Elk all the way out to 650 yards......

So I say any 30 caliber round will do the job nicely.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Voted other. If I could only pick one, I'd pick 300 Win. Mag. With proper loads, it will handle anything in North America. My second choice would be 45/70. Again, with proper loads it will take any game I may come across. If limited to one, I picked the Mag. over the 45/70 for it's flatter trajectory.

Hoss

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
30.06 in my book. You can get a light super fast bullet if you want, or a great big heavy bullet. Rounds can be had for every type of large game on our continent.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Voted other. If I could only pick one, I'd pick 300 Win. Mag. With proper loads, it will handle anything in North America. My second choice would be 45/70. Again, with proper loads it will take any game I may come across. If limited to one, I picked the Mag. over the 45/70 for it's flatter trajectory.

Hoss
I prefer the 300 WSM to the 300 Win. mag.

Too many tests show that not all the powder gets burned in the 300 WM until after the bullet has left the barrel. The wider casing of the 300 WSM has shown to fix the problem, faster and flatter with the same grain bullet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Me...I picked .270 as in .270win, because that's what I have and use. Good all around option. BTW...I hate choosing one in these kind of thread. FWIW, I'd probably choose the good ol' '06 if I didn't have a .270. If I had to choose one it'd be the '06.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts