Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting something lighter than one of my 1911s, I just picked up a new 442 as a possible carry gun and was very pleased with it overall. I had noted the complaints about the trigger, especially in comparison with the excellent Ruger LCR. However, I specifically wanted a Smith.

While the revolver was in "jail" (the 10-day California waiting period) I ordered and received the Apex Tactical Specialties J-Frame Duty/Carry spring kit. The kit includes a new rebound slide spring; a new main spring; a new firing pin; and a reduced power firing pin return spring. The cost of the kit was $25.95, plus shipping.

There are videos online showing how to install the springs. However, I prefer not to play amateur gunsmith with a tool to which I may someday have to trust my life. And, I have the good fortune of living a mile from the shop of famed gunsmith Jim Hoag. So, I dropped the gun and the kit off on Wednesday and picked it up Saturday. When I walked in I asked Jim if the kit made any difference. He smiled and said "Wow!"

According to the literature the kit reduces trigger pull from 12 lbs to 9 lbs. According to my finger's unscientific measurement, it reduced the trigger pull from stupid-hard to super-slick. It completely transformed the gun's operational feel. I can't recommend this modification enough.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no connection with Apex. My shooting background goes back well over 50 years with a wide variety of handguns. I'm not easily impressed, but I was this time.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
My wife sent her 642 to Bob Munden who has since passed. Her improvement once the trigger was worked on was amazing. She installed some oversized wood grips and now laughs at how the gun first performed and what it can do now.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Agreed with making the most out of your weapon and using a competent smith to do the work. When my wife sarted carrying well over twenty years ago she picked out a 642. I immediately sent it to Teddy Jacobson who made it slicker than snot. Action job and polished and rounded the trigger face. image.jpg 15 years later sent it to Gemini to pretty it up for her. Still one of the best all around options for cc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a Smith & Wesson Airweight. I got the Apex trigger kit, and it turned from a pretty good gun to a great one. I am no gunsmith by any means, but installation is really very simple. I'd encourage you to do it yourself.

·
Registered
654 Posts
OP: Glad you like the end result of your trigger kit and revolver.

I learned to work on S&W revolvers on one of mine that I didn't have a need to carry or was overly collectable. The install and disassembly/stoning/reassembly process was pretty easy if you have another revolver next to it for reference. I understand your desire to make sure that a competent 'smith does the work when you are putting you life on the line though.

Next one you get you should try yourself. You just might be surprised!

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
IMO, most any defensive revolver can use a bit of tuning of the action.

Had a 442 Airweight and never did install one of these spring kits. Might have made the difference, in terms of repeatable accuracy. Then again, perhaps not. Have done well with several other, much heavier revolvers, but I never could get the swing of the light 442.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Any idea what the centerfire restriction is for the Apex kit? There's a Model 63 here (22/32 in stainless) that would benefit from that kind of rework. It's not a defense gun, just a fun piece for Mrs. Smitty's enjoyment, but that DA trigger is awfully stiff.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can't agree more, the Apex kit along with CT laser grips turns the 442 into a pretty neat little BUG. BTW I put mine in myself and after taking it apart and putting it back together a couple of times :embarassed: I really got to know the inner workings of my revolver.

I've used Apex trigger kits in all of my M&P's also. Randy and Scott make great products out there.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
May have to look into the Apex kit for my wife's 642 (formerly BamaT's 642 :smile:). I put their sear and striker block in my M&P9 and it made a tremendous difference. Never had a Smith revolver apart, but maybe it's time I had a try with that. Got a gunsmith close by, but I got into Ruger 10-22 mods by taking the time to get into it, take it apart and trying.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Agreed with making the most out of your weapon and using a competent smith to do the work. When my wife sarted carrying well over twenty years ago she picked out a 642. I immediately sent it to Teddy Jacobson who made it slicker than snot. Action job and polished and rounded the trigger face. View attachment 100000 15 years later sent it to Gemini to pretty it up for her. Still one of the best all around options for cc.
That thing is slick!!!!

I carry a 442 every day,bone stock,trigger works fine for me and the gun is
surprisingly accurate

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
This reminds me, I've had a spring kit for my Ruger SP 101 sitting somewhere on my work bench just waiting to be installed.
I'm hoping for "super slick" :wink:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Best mod for my three 637-2 J-frames has been titanium .357 Magnum cylinders to knock two ounces off their weight.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I have the Apex kit for my 642 .. waiting for my hands to work a bit better .. then Im tackling it ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts