Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some threads that dismiss the use of any paddle holster, the argument being that they are too flimsy, lack sufficient retention as to be stable, etc. Can anyone recommend a satisfactory or even good paddle holster on the market, regardless of price. I've seen Kramer makes paddles - a little on the expensive side perhaps, but could be worth the price if they stay in place.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I have on occasion carried with the Fobus paddles, OWB under cover garment. Say what you want, it has little effect on my decisions. Generally, my Fobus holsters are my competition choice.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I had the same concerns about the holster hugging the body and flopping around. I took a chance and bought this one and it's a winner... FIST, INC. it looks like the one on the right with the Glock in it, and mine is for a Glock-36. It is a great holster that does hug the body...it cannot be pulled out of the pants.:image035:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I used a Kramer paddle holster for years to carry my Kimber Ultra. The holster is manufactured with a "safety" strap that loops under your belt to prevent it from coming out with the draw. Top notch holster, albeit a little on the high side.

I've also used Blackhawk kydex paddle holsters. These things are manufactured with a hooked clamp that fits over your belt. Again, no problem with the holster pulling out with the draw.

Modern paddle holsters are well-made and serve a niche purpose. I wouldn't hesitate to use these products.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I use exclusively paddle Fobus, Uncle Mike's, or XD Gear Kydex holsters to carry my XD9SC OWB. I love them. They're small and lightweight. All hold the gun close and tight. I use a good, stiff belt - cinch it up tight - and the holster stays where I put it all day. I love the frictionless "click-click" feel of drawing and holstering. I can't imagine any leather holster being a quick or clean. I've seen the videos of some guy grabbing a Kydex paddle off a guy's belt, and I'll tell ya, the video is rigged. Properly worn, it ain't that easy.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I have on occasion carried with the Fobus paddles, OWB under cover garment. Say what you want, it has little effect on my decisions. Generally, my Fobus holsters are my competition choice.
+1 on the Fobus. I have one for each of my carry choices. Excellent retention and comfortable for all day carry.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you don't mind Kydex, G-Code Edgeworks has been my favorite paddle. If you want an extra tough paddle holster but prefer leather, look at Tucker Gunleather's Silent Thunder leather lined Kydex holster.

Though I have many of their other products and love them, I tried Comp-Tac's Settable Cant paddle, but it wasn't for me. They have excellent customer service and let me send it back no questions asked. So, though I didn't like it, I still recommend them because it is pretty painless to try them out. They have a quick turnaround time, too.

Comp Tac's Locking Paddle doesn't have a sweat-guard, but all three of the above holsters do, which I feel is a "must have".

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Since you're not concerned about cost, I vote for the Kramer MSP Paddle.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you don't mind Kydex, G-Code Edgeworks has been my favorite paddle. If you want an extra tough paddle holster but prefer leather, look at Tucker Gunleather's Silent Thunder leather lined Kydex holster.

Though I have many of their other products and love them, I tried Comp-Tac's Settable Cant paddle, but it wasn't for me. They have excellent customer service and let me send it back no questions asked. So, though I didn't like it, I still recommend them because it is pretty painless to try them out. They have a quick turnaround time, too.

Comp Tac's Locking Paddle doesn't have a sweat-guard, but all three of the above holsters do, which I feel is a "must have".
The Settable Cant paddle is my favorite. I like the higher ride over their standard paddle. The G-Code isn't bad but the paddle doesn't feel as secure to me and it needs more of an offset so the oversize sweat guard doesn't dig into my side. I attached the belt option and use it for a range/training holster. In leather, I'd spend the bucks and go with the MSP. It's a nice holster.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ctac, Serpa, Fobus.

I carry in a serpa level II ($50.00) because of its comfort and retention system, friends have ctac and fobus, carried a few different glocks before in a fobus and they are a nice holster.
~Steve

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I really like paddle holsters as they provide convenience for my particular lifestyle. Sure I have other holsters, but the paddle definitely has its place. When I’m just making a quick trip to the store or a walk with my dogs, I can just slip it on and go. In particular, I really don’t like wearing a belt when I’m just kicking around, and the paddle works with or without it. Be it shorts’ with a loose shirt or otherwise, I’m good. ~
Regards,
Dan

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
I use a couple of Fobus paddles (Fobi?) for the compact 9mms. These are typically the around-the-house guns, or for slipping on a gun quickly when headed out for a brief errand. Not the sturdiest, but certainly adequate for light duty, and you sure can't quibble about the price. It holds the guns far more securely than the comparably-priced ballistic nylon pouches (e.g., the basic Uncle Mike's).

Much nicer and far more sturdy is the DeSantis Viper which the Sig 220 rides in. Not crazy about the thumb break, but at least it's in the right place and is easily disengaged.

FWIW, I have never, ever had a paddle holster come off the belt as the gun was drawn, as some have reported.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Ok, I just took a look at some of those mentioned above and now I realize that some are clearly better than others'. I like the leather Galgo SPE 158, and I recently ordered the P.L.E.. I don't really much care for the nylon or plastic offerings since I'm rather old-school in this way.
Regards,

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts