Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been mostly revolver or shotgun guy but i fell in love with the glock 21sf and i was wondering what was the best round to use in it for prersonal defence i know hollow point im wondering brand/grain

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true it will make big hole no matter what what opinion on the hydro shock ammo ive got a few buddies who swear by that or hornaby ammo

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
Any name-brand JHP will do fine... if you stick with Federal, Winchester, Hornady, Remington or Speer, you'll do fine. Among those brands there is just no real junk out there. 185 or 230 grain loads, and no need to go to +P. Glocks feed JHPs just fine, so the only thing you're looking for is decent accuracy in your gun with you behind the trigger, manageable recoil, and low muzzle flash. Affordability helps, too!

Run a few boxes of hardball (FMJ) thru the gun to get used to it, then try a few different types of JHPs to see what works for you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice i did tons of research on 45 but i never really priced quilty ammo untill i bought it this stuff is expensive ima good shot but with the 45 shot placement still being key is not ad crucial as say for 9mm (not knockin 9mm love the glock 19 and the round)

·
Registered
489 Posts
230gr is hard to beat in 45 acp.

With that said, I use Hornady 230gr+P XTP ammo. It feeds reliably, and I have no doubts it will get the job done. With that said, Speer Gold Dot ammunition is fairly easy to find, and an extremely good choice.

Another round that has caught my eye is is Cor-Bon DPX. It's pricey, and lightweight compared to it's competition, but it's a copper bullet designed extremely well. If I have the funds available, I will be buying this stuff.

Now, let it be known that even "average" 45 acp ammunition provides very respectable results. Just make sure to shoot your choice of ammo plenty to make sure it feeds reliably.

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
You won't go wrong with good ol' Federal Hydra-Shok 230 gr. That's my standard load for all my .45s, with the exception of one house gun is loaded with 185 gr Silvertips for reduced penetration indoors.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I am a huge fan of the all copper DPX bullets, but not of a fan of +P loadings in any caliber. I use the Tarus offering in .45ACP. It has the 185gr DPX bullet at standard velocity and runs great thru my Springer.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Checkout this web site, it has good info.

.45ACP

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
someone gave me a box of Speer Gold Dots once. free ammo is my favorite kind.

unless you talk to someone who's had to shoot different people with different loads, it's impossible to tell what's a better round.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have had the best accuracy out of my 1911 with speer gold dots hp 200 grain, i buy and shoot mostly fmj.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I use whatever 230gr standard pressure JHP we happen to have in stock. Right now its Ranger SXT. Before that Hydra Shok and occasionally Gold Saber. We have a bunch of Gold Dot in now, and I'll use that if I can't get more SXT when I need ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Since I have the input of someone who has the advantage of knowing what works best on human bodies, I'll carry what he carries. This guy has been a LEO for 50+ years, range instructor for 40+ years, and "tester" of all things gun for 30+ years. He has also been in deadly force encounters 3 times, and known countless other LEOs that have been as well.

He carries Speer GDHPs in 200+P

That's enough for me to carry the same thing.

Sigmanluke

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well that kind of answers that that then huh and no i have no one to talk to thats actually shot anyone other than some military but thats dealing with different guns and what not so i spose that the personal opinion doesnt count for actual effectivness but thanks sigmanuke thats gonna be bout the best recomendation i think i will get

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
45 Defense Rounds

+1 on the Federal Hydro's, Gold Dots and Cor-Bon. All shoot very well in my G21 and 1911. Currently in the Cor-Bon camp with Gold Dots as a second.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Make sure they feed well in YOUR gun Wolf88. I've never had a problem, but I've heard of people who have.

Stay safe, Sigmanluke

·
Registered
574 Posts
If it feeds, functions and goes Bang in your gun you really can't pick a "bad" 45 round. I don't include handloads or all surplus ammo in that.
185 is usually the easiest to shoot and often, but not always the most accurate. 230 has a lot of momentum. Heavier loads penetrate deeper so your enviroment might be the key to weight selection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recevied the February/March 2010 Handguns magazine and they have an article on the Hornady Critical Defense ammo including the new offerings for 2010. One of those being a 185gr. .45 ACP round. In their testing the round expanded to 0.66" from a 3.5" barrel and to 0.71" from a 5" barrel. Penetration into ballistic geletain through clothing was 16" for the 3.5" barrel and 14.5" for the 5" barrel. Hornady has the ammo listed on their website.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts