Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:confused:Yes, I'm new here... and yes, I know this is an old and subjective argument... however, I'm trying to make a decision on such a gun that would back-up my regular carry guns, or replace them when I don't want to waist holster-carry for whatever reason. I'm weighing out some of the advantages/limitations that come with this discussion. This is sort of where I'm at... I want a true pocket gun... or, one that might be close, and could be worn with a clip (no holster) on the IWB, i.e. Kel Tec PF9, Glock 26... Aside from those two, considering J frame .38,
LCP, LCR, Sig 238, a few others. I wear jeans 90 % of the time, and the concealability and weight is more of a factor than having "umpteen" rounds... recommendations and thoughts... Thanks to all of you in advance,
Tac
By the way, nothing smaller than .38 & .380 ..

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
My vote for a true pocket gun would be the LCP. Great gun but good luck finding .380 ammo.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Will you wear it in summer with the clip? If you're in the Deep South you may need a stainless gun for that kind of carry. Perhaps a Ruger SP101. S&W Airlites are aluminum and titanium, but might have rust-prone parts. LCP .380s, and Kel Tec pocket guns have steel slides and barrels.

Just brainstorming here, but if you sweat wearing a gun without a holster, you're gonna rust it.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
My two pocket carry guns are the LCP and the 642. The LCP is both smaller and lighter than the 642. I have looked at the LCR, but being a new pistol, I would stay away from it for a year or two. I can't comment on the PF9 or the P238, but I have a G26 and it's too big for pocket carry in most jeans, but I can carry pocket carry it in my cargo shorts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow... great quick responses...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Dont forget the Taurus TCP 738.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
S&W 642

But I would never carry any handgun without a holster.

·
Registered
92 Posts
LCR.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Jeans? LCP in a rear-pocket, heavy leather, wallet holster. And no, I've never had the magazine release by sitting on it. The idea of using a clip that leaves an exposed trigger just isn't advisable.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The Keltec P3AT or Ruger LCP are small enough to put in a shirt pocket. I have a 1st generation Keltec with lots of rounds through it, and the only FTF or similar problem I ever had was with a certain brand of hollow point (sorry, I can't remember which one). I like it a lot as a BUG or for summer carry. It's not my main carry gun, but it does gets lots of use

·
Registered
2 Posts
My carry guns are

I have three guns that I carry depending on way I'm dressing. P3AT, LCR and P238. I have shot all three many rounds on several occasions. Each one is very dependable and easy to carry.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Ruger LCP .380 is a great little pistol.

My wife packs one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't forget to consider the Micro Desert Eagle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
OK... LCP's getting lots-o-love... and waistband clips aren't popular with this crowd...
And I need to consider stainless, here in the Deep-South...Learning a lot, here... Anyone have any experience with the Ruger LCR for pocket-carry... and if so, what's your impression?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
As an 'Ol School guy...I would pick a revolver over an auto for pocket carry and TRUE pocket carry probably requires an Airweight J-Frame or the new Ruger LCR. I'd vote for a holster over clip and dress(light cotton shirts)accordingly. Good Luck:wave:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts